*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
How do you get the nice little icons for the devices? Mine just show a generic one no matter what they are except for the APs

Soldato
Topology is auto generated

How do you get the nice little icons for the devices? Mine just show a generic one no matter what they are except for the APs

I'm on beta 5.11.31, it allows you to select those little icons from within the GUI

y4mZKntfy0HQGBPX76upMHN8PViXv882lYZJBc_DFJd6So7oB8QaWZ2ry2yahJ3ni_lFtLq7cZigjhxNrq0Ljl0ro__VDiJd43lzjhlHhTViRy5b5efuBPAkPd3IVQX8ghPnUeDEW5MPr9Zxk38smW-rCzbXZ9leTKpRGvbFkigDpS33DN80qq6jcbGIZs01Afoqg7CR9FsjB2ivdsCAaHEWA

y4mCQNbixNWoXDyNplIrxcIRLav59YieCQcJgVv7PwdqHUFJ33T5EhINIK8LY2g0-2kCwNiuRT8HV_guRhedU8GzLbUFUbTvwCabypSGsAUPvrbXEKaKcIHCmjrgzg1tLcxrq8LaeqQ_Uybb5AIHKesl52rhzGIkiRO0k1WQZmmN32Oib7awTZxkwGWS0W7Elvx_1fKrVvHuIsS9q-TOHtrvA

Soldato
Yeah mine's not so great without being able to drag it around and since I only use UAPs it of course shows nothing of my wired network at home which doubles the client count.

iczGvvD.png

Soldato
Probably a dumb question, but I've used the Unifi APs at work and we usually have a server running the controller software to manage them.

However, I'm planning to grab one for home use and I don't really need the extra features so it will be pretty much a basic AP. I have seen there's an Unifi app which allows provisioning the AP for basic use, does that mean I won't need a controller to set up the AP?

EDIT: Whoops... completely forgot there was a dedicated thread for Ubiquiti... And checking there it seems the app will do what I want :p.

EDIT 2: Cheers to the mod who moved it here!

Last edited:
Soldato
Probably a dumb question, but I've used the Unifi APs at work and we usually have a server running the controller software to manage them.

However, I'm planning to grab one for home use and I don't really need the extra features so it will be pretty much a basic AP. I have seen there's an Unifi app which allows provisioning the AP for basic use, does that mean I won't need a controller to set up the AP?

EDIT: Whoops... completely forgot there was a dedicated thread for Ubiquiti... And checking there it seems the app will do what I want :p.

EDIT 2: Cheers to the mod who moved it here!

Yeah. If you just want a simple AP then a one time setup from the app or even run the controller from a laptop and then close when you're done will be fine.

chances are though if yo're a techie you'll have a Pi or some cloud server ticking away somewhere you cna lever a controller onto.

Soldato
Looking at moving from my useless wireless ISP router over to Ubiquiti AP's and looking around these three are similar prices:

Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LITE
Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-LR
Ubiquiti Networks UAP-AC-PRO

Use case will be for use in the home, several phones, tablets, xbox with streaming, I dont have cabling infrastructure upstairs yet so would be looking to ceiling mount it on the ground floor.

Thanks

Kimbie

Soldato
Looking at moving from my useless wireless ISP router over to Ubiquiti AP's and looking around these three are similar prices:

Use case will be for use in the home, several phones, tablets, xbox with streaming, I dont have cabling infrastructure upstairs yet so would be looking to ceiling mount it on the ground floor.

Thanks

Kimbie

The Lite and LR are solid AP’s, if you want to pay a bit more and have clients that will benefit from the features of a more expensive AP get the Nano HD not the Pro.

Soldato

Thanks

Kimbie
I have one AC lite at the moment with another waiting to get plugged in. Decent sized 3 bedroom terraced house, with lots of other Wi-Fi signals around. Using the software on the pc is a dream to scan and see the best channels. I’m getting 300meg and 36 up on my iPad through three walls and a virtually full signal.
Honestly the unifi kit has really really impressed me.

Caporegime
Just wondering about the unifi NVR network usage, I have my nvr in the utility room and the network traffic usage is a lot higher than other devices:
DNpHli2.png

but i can't seem to find out what that traffic is from the cloudkey ui - is it likely to be video from my two cameras? Would sort of hope I could easily identify that since they are unifi cameras as well, though its listed as a separate device anyway so surely the camera traffic is different from that?

Soldato
Click on clients and look at each camera. That should tell you if the data adds up to the 400-ish Gb you’re looking for. Also bear in mind if you have cloud access enabled the UCK is quite chatty (not 437Gb chatty though) with the UniFi Cloud.

Caporegime
Ah - so the camera upstreams add up to that amount. I guess therefore they are transferring that data through the network to the NVR so it makes sense. No cloud access enabled. I felt it would be that but just didn't do the maths for some reason - cheers :).

Soldato
Ah - so the camera upstreams add up to that amount. I guess therefore they are transferring that data through the network to the NVR so it makes sense. No cloud access enabled. I felt it would be that but just didn't do the maths for some reason - cheers :).

Did you disable Cloud access and enable local access then? The default on the cloud key is cloud access.

Caporegime
Success at last, had a much better experience with the controller on Windows. Improved speeds throughout the house though it completely drops at the back of the kitchen/outside which can only be ~30 feet from the router and AP.

Back
Top Bottom