*** The 2019 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Put more weight on there, you won’t be humping it quite as hard then :p

OK mate, cheers. Butt breaks first right? Like, push butt back and the legs will follow through?

Yes, butt back. It is a very useful cue to apply to deadlifts.

To be fair your form is decent. Decent enough not to worry about overthinking it and to add some more weight. I start with my hips slightly lower, but your positioning seems to work for you. Hard to tell, but it looks like your heel is unloading slightly mid lift. Fine as long as you aren’t loading your toes.

Caporegime
Awesome work mate, excellent progress, enjoy the summer and then clean bulk away.

More hip hinge / glute smash needed. Hinging back in to the movement is the eccentric, focus on loading up the hamstrings here, and then you really need to slam the concentric as well, firing the glutes and thrusting hard. Try to maintain a neutral spine all the way up including your head, so chin down.

Here is my RDL's from yesterday, just for reference on the points I am making.

I'd say you're hyper extending a touch there on some

Soldato
Eventually I shall increase the weight, but as my last movement, the focus is all about feeling it in the hammies. To much weight and the focus moves away from the hammies and into the lower back.

Permabanned

Yes, butt back. It is a very useful cue to apply to deadlifts.

To be fair your form is decent. Decent enough not to worry about overthinking it and to add some more weight. I start with my hips slightly lower, but your positioning seems to work for you. Hard to tell, but it looks like your heel is unloading slightly mid lift. Fine as long as you aren’t loading your toes.

Cheers :)

It's quite possible you're correct about the heel. I always try to keep the weight on my heel/outside of my feet but it sometimes feels like it's shifting if I don't keep my shoulders pinned back and the weight drifts forwards.

Eventually I shall increase the weight, but as my last movement, the focus is all about feeling it in the hammies. To much weight and the focus moves away from the hammies and into the lower back.

Gotta be honest, I never really feel it in my hams, only really with the stretch on the eccentric... maybe the extreme humping you suggested will help that, seeing as it's all in the concentric there.

Soldato
Cheers :)
Gotta be honest, I never really feel it in my hams, only really with the stretch on the eccentric... maybe the extreme humping you suggested will help that, seeing as it's all in the concentric there.

As long as you are feeling it in the hamstrings on the eccentric then they will be part of the concentric contraction. Its important to feel the hamstrings being loaded up in the eccentric, its when you don't even feel this that you need to go back to basics.

Associate
Right gave the plates 24 hours in white vinegar and used a wire brush attachment on my drill followed by hammerite satin black spray paint

jqgae7k8.jpg

4t8972el.jpg

rbwdt84s.jpg

Soldato
So, randomly got on to pistol squatting due to my daughters ice skating hobby. Thought I would it a go, and surprised myself, I can hit pistol squat on my right leg, as soon as I attempt on my left leg, as soon as my knee breaks in to the movement I get pain.

The pain gets more intense the further in to the movement I get. Oddly enough I do not get this pain during normal squats, now I am concerned this might be due to my right leg doing a lot more work to compensate without me realising.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be with my left knee, could it just be weakness in my left leg that then just forces more pressure on to the knee joint itself or something more?

Soldato
Perhaps it's the old knee issue that you had where you was doing bosu balance crap?

Unless that wasn't you knee.
It is the same old knee issue, but they never found a route cause to the problem and there’s a cause for everything, and a potential fix/focus to improve it which I want to work on.

Man of Honour
So, randomly got on to pistol squatting due to my daughters ice skating hobby. Thought I would it a go, and surprised myself, I can hit pistol squat on my right leg, as soon as I attempt on my left leg, as soon as my knee breaks in to the movement I get pain.

The pain gets more intense the further in to the movement I get. Oddly enough I do not get this pain during normal squats, now I am concerned this might be due to my right leg doing a lot more work to compensate without me realising.

Any thoughts on what the issue might be with my left knee, could it just be weakness in my left leg that then just forces more pressure on to the knee joint itself or something more?

Brain, tbh - you've probably never physio'd out the issue meaning your brain still thinks there is an issue with the tissue (yeah - it rhymes) and registers pain where there isn't actually a problem.

Soldato

Funnily enough, if you're on Instagram check out squat_university's newest post because it deals with an athlete suffering from exactly that issue (pain above one knee when pistol squatting). Might not be what you have but gives you some idea of what you could screen for.

Soldato
Brain, tbh - you've probably never physio'd out the issue meaning your brain still thinks there is an issue with the tissue (yeah - it rhymes) and registers pain where there isn't actually a problem.

I wish it is all in the brain but I don't think it will be. I did see a physio for this and my lower abdominal issues. For this I did a series of physio, acupuncture, and an MRI scan that returned with no signs of anything, after which I put it down to one of those things that will go away on its own. When I didn't lift for 2 years, it went away, started lifting again and it has returned, not to the persistent state it was at yet, but if I don't do something I suspect it might.

Funnily enough, if you're on Instagram check out squat_university's newest post because it deals with an athlete suffering from exactly that issue (pain above one knee when pistol squatting). Might not be what you have but gives you some idea of what you could screen for.
I will check it out, my pain is directly through the centre of the knee horizontally so might not be the same, could still be some useful info.

Soldato
Speaking of pain...

Anyone had experience of recovery from golfer's elbow?

I have it quite bad in my left arm and less bad in my right. I've dropped pull-ups from my routine, which are the main thing I think aggravated it this time around (it's a recurring issue for me - quiet for years and then it can flare up again). I'm also using forearm/elbow straps on both arms and a grip strap on my left for pulls and I'm now happy that I'm lifting without pain (and thus I'm assuming I'm not making it worse with my exercise).

Thing is - it just doesn't want to go away this time! I'm doing Tyler twists with a Theraband bar, along with massage, stretching, icing. About 80% of the time it feels fine, but then I'll wake up one morning, push myself up out of bed and *bam* there's that soreness and pain again, and it then hangs around most of that day.

I really want to get to the point I feel it's improved enough to put pull-ups back into my routine (one of my favourite exercises), but it's not happening. About six weeks since it flared up badly this time around, and whilst it's better than it was in the first three weeks or so, improvemnet has definitely stalled.

Any advice (hopefully not cortisone injections) would be really appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom