3200 Mhz RAM, causing freezing at stock.

Associate
Hi,
I hope you guys can help me out, you have been a godsend in the past.

I purchased:
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
Back in May along with:
ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AM4/B450/DDR4/S-ATA 600/ATX Socket Motherboard
A new CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism RGB LED Cooler
And a new graphics card:
RADEON RX VEGA 64 NITRO+ 8GB HBM2 PCI-EXPRESS GRAPHICS CARD

Since fitting everything I have been getting random lockups/freezing, oddly enough only a handful while gaming and at least once a day while idle. Most nights I go to bed I will wake up to my computer with a black screen and not responding.
Sometimes if I have been gaming (Division 2, Guild Wars 2) for hours, when I'm finished and the game is closed, it will happen 10 minutes, or an hour or so later.

Googling the issue it all seemed to boil down to my graphics card and I have been tinkering for over a month with AMD's Adrenaline, underclocking, overclocking, installing new drivers, old drivers, fresh installations of windows and other things based on advice and nothing appeared to fix it.

I thought I could just, put up with it, since it very very rarely happened while gaming. But it's starting to grate on me now, as I walk away from my computer for 10 minutes after a gaming session and I'm forced to turn the power off on the back of the computer.

Now with all the fancy lights still going on inside the case after the computer freezes I neglected to notice the orange coloured light on the motherboard indicated a RAM issue.

I re-seated the RAM and disabled the 3200 speed and returned it to stock settings to see if this would fix the problem, but sadly it didn't.

Have you guys any advice? Surely it must be a RAM issue if the motherboards stating so?.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had similar issues on my old rig, I thought it was down to either the gpu or the memory.

I’m 99% sure it was the memory.

Associate
OP
I tried them using the DOCP settings, it still crashes.
Someone suggested upping the ram voltage slightly.. by default it's 1.35v, so I have upped it to 1.38v.
The PC has been up for a day without crashing so far.

Associate
OP
I spoke too soon. It just crashed.

I've dropped the ram speed down from 3200 to 3000.
So will see how this goes.

Last edited:
Associate
I re-seated the RAM and disabled the 3200 speed and returned it to stock settings to see if this would fix the problem, but sadly it didn't.

Have you guys any advice? Surely it must be a RAM issue if the motherboards stating so?.
It isn't supposed to crash at stock settings. Default clock 'n' timings are a hugely under-clocked fail-safe so that you have a stable base to flash BIOS' from. Either the RAM is faulty or the motherboard simply refuses to play ball with it because it ain't B-Die and Ryzen is fussy about these things (though it shouldn't be so fussy that default BIOS settings fail).

Associate
Keep the RAM at 1.37-1.385, but give the 'SOC voltage' a positive offset of +0.175v, and rummage around and set level 3 LLC (load-line calibration) for both CPU and SOC. My 2700X does similar with everything at stock...

Also check your mobo manual to make sure you have the sticks in the correct slots.

Associate
OP
Thanks.

Sticks are definitely in the correct slots according to the manual.

I'm trying those settings now.

The LLC levels for the CPU & SOC gave me "low, medium, high and extreme" options, so I went with high.

Associate
OP
Same thing has happened, was playing a game for 4 hours or so, closed the game, went downstairs and returned 10 minutes later to black screen and orange blinking RAM light on motherboard.

Associate
Hmm. That's a bit of a pain.

What PSU do you have?
And do you have any USB devices other than mouse/keyboard plugged in?

Various suggestions from faulty mobo or ram are suggested. As a last ditch, try going into advanced power settings, and set HDD power off to 'never', and PCI link-state power management to disabled.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas, sorry...

Associate
OP
PSU is a Corsair GS800 (800w).

USB devices:
Keyboard
Keyboard EXT
Mouse
USB HUB
Headset
Graphics Tablet

Checked power settings and they are already set to what you suggested.

Thanks for the help, but yeah.. this one really has me confused.
I'm reading a lot of people not being able to hit 3200mhz without crashes and having to dial it back to 2933mhz.

Soldato
Not sure if you have but check the bios is up to date on the motherboard and install all the latest drivers.
Then test using the memory modules one at a time, you may be very unlucky and have a faulty one.
Also check everything is connected and seated properly, I had a Gpu which appeared faulty until reseated and never a problem since.
When testing set everything to defaults and remove any overclocking or tweaks you may have done.
Check what temps the CPU and GPU are running at just in case it is over heating.
I previously had the same memory you have now and it was not stable above 2933, try 2133 just as a test.

Associate
OP
Unsure.

Well, I'm 2 days in and it hasn't froze yet.
Lowered the ram speed to 2933. I increased the RAM voltage to 1.39
I changed load-line calibration for both CPU and SOC from high to extreme.
And SOC voltage' a positive offset of +0.175v.

But I also changed a few things on Radeon Adrenaline.
I changed the minimal GPU state to 3.
The min/max GPU Memory state to 3.
Also changed the cards power limit to 50%.

For 2 days I have been playing the Division 2 on and off, running stress tests etc and so far so good.
CPU and GPU temps are good (I think). Under heavy load the CPU maxed at 73c and GPU at 80c.

Obviously I have changed quite a lot of things, so will give it some time to be sure it stable and then try changing some things to isolate the problem.

Associate
OP
So I managed to go 6 days without any issues, but while pottering about the bedroom and the PC being idle my screens went black, keyboard / mouse lights went off and computer was un-responsive. Fans were still going and LED's were working.
But this time no orange/yellow RAM light on the motherboard.
So maybe it's a mix of GPU & RAM issues, and the RAM issue is now possibly fixed?.

Soldato
So I managed to go 6 days without any issues, but while pottering about the bedroom and the PC being idle my screens went black, keyboard / mouse lights went off and computer was un-responsive. Fans were still going and LED's were working.
But this time no orange/yellow RAM light on the motherboard.
So maybe it's a mix of GPU & RAM issues, and the RAM issue is now possibly fixed?.
Could you run Memtest or even the built-in Windows memory test? Just search for 'memory' in the start menu. Aida64 also has a good memory stress test.

Soldato
I had this issue until the last BIOS for my motherboard.

If you are already on the latest BIOS and that doesn't sort it, just knock the frequency down 1 notch until you get stability.

I was running my ram at 3133MHz for the last year until last week and the last BIOS finally allowed me to run it at DOCP with no freezing.

Just noticed you are running Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz. I had that ram once and sold it as it wasn't stable.

You may need to run it at 2933MHz.

Back
Top Bottom