Do we really need 1080p screens on Smartphones.

Associate
Holy thread resurrection!

Even now, 6 years later, I still think that for the most part, these high resolutions on phones are utterly pointless. I have a Pixel 2 XL (1440p) and I regularly have to use iPhone XRs at work (828p) and unless you’ve got your eyeball pressed against the screen, there really isn’t all that much difference, IMO. My eyesight is still pretty darn good too... but I guess at this stage, the cost of production isn’t all that high anymore and so you may as well have it.

Associate
Unnecessary spec advancement holds the price point in place. Without it phones would be priced lower over time and the margin for profit would have to follow.

It's either more for your money, or the same thing cheaper.

Associate
OP
Back in the day when i originally posted this my Nexus 4 at the time had a great screen to my eyes, I'm now on a Pixel 3a with a 1080p screen I've had phones in the past with 1440p like the Nexus 6P, Note 4 & S6 and i really can't tell the difference in sharpness & my eyesight is still good 6 years on.

Associate
How low is too low? I'm considering switching my 1080p 5.5" Lenovo P2 for a 720p 6.x" Moto G7 Power. Too low resolution?

I think you'd really notice the difference when you're jumping screen size as well as dropping resolution.

I have a Huawei Honor 8 Pro and I can really see the difference between the 1440p mode and 720p mode, just incredibly blurry.

Soldato
How low is too low? I'm considering switching my 1080p 5.5" Lenovo P2 for a 720p 6.x" Moto G7 Power. Too low resolution?

I just bought my wife one of these, and have to say I’m really impressed with it so far. Battery life is very good, and despite only being 720p, the screen is nice and clear. Camera is a bit average though.

Associate
I just bought my wife one of these, and have to say I’m really impressed with it so far. Battery life is very good, and despite only being 720p, the screen is nice and clear. Camera is a bit average though.

To be fair its still a similar DPI density to an iPad, and I don’t hear many people complaining of lack of sharpness there.

Back
Top Bottom