most expensive free boat hire ever.

Soldato
OP
We have one side of this story. I imagine the taxi driver wasn’t as entirely unreasonable as they’re made out to be.

ahh so you think i am lying... in which case you should have started with that! :/

Next time take ziploc bags for your phones!

indeed, sound advice. had i known i was getting a cayak and not a wider bottomed rowing boat i would have been more prepared..... to be honest losing my phone and glasses is not the worst/most stressful part of this story imo - and the water itself was surprisingly warm.

At least you’re not a top revenue earner, otherwise you would be adding a Gucci belt to that list.

some of my friends have suggested i add my tablet to it to cover the excess and any "loss" of value that the insurance add on... but it is not how i roll, I try and be as honest as possible most of the time.

(though the music industry would argue that perhaps if they saw my mp3 collection ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
ahh so you think i am lying... in which case you should have started with that! :/

No, I haven’t said that at all. That is a huge leap from what I said.

I think there are two sides to every story.

Your dramatic reaction to what I said is a good example of how your point of view might be different to the taxi drivers.

My response was to someone saying the taxi driver deserves a good thrashing. That is a stupid thing to say having only half a story.

Soldato
OP
No, I haven’t said that at all. That is a huge leap from what I said.

I think there are two sides to every story.

Your dramatic reaction to what I said is a good example of how your point of view might be different to the taxi drivers.

My response was to someone saying the taxi driver deserves a good thrashing. That is a stupid thing to say having only half a story.

fair point on my response to your post..... over reaction on that perhaps, but only because i am so smegged off at what happened. however on the taxi driver I am happy to stand by everything i said, but then fair enough you do only have mine/my mums word on that...... she knows how to handle her self however and it takes a lot to reduce her to tears esp in a public place. ideally should/could have taken the names of witnesses of the kerfuffle but she just wanted to get out of there.

i have no idea if private cabs have onboard cameras... if they do i would be interested to be a fly on the wall if the cab company do chase it up.

Soldato
fair point on my response to your post..... over reaction on that perhaps, but only because i am so smegged off at what happened. however on the taxi driver I am happy to stand by everything i said, but then fair enough you do only have mine/my mums word on that...... she knows how to handle her self however and it takes a lot to reduce her to tears esp in a public place. ideally should/could have taken the names of witnesses of the kerfuffle but she just wanted to get out of there.

i have no idea if private cabs have onboard cameras... if they do i would be interested to be a fly on the wall if the cab company do chase it up.

Get your mum to send a GDPR request for the CCTV footage.

Soldato
What a nightmare. I hope your parents and lad aren't too shaken.

You did the right thing regarding the cab company. After treating your elderly parents and young son like that, and swearing in front of them, it must have been tempting to find the chap and give him a free swimming lesson. If I was you, I'd still consider your legal options. It sounds like he was way out of line, especially in abandoning them 2 miles from the agreed destination.

Soldato
not sure of all the bile for the taxi driver. taking the money was definitely off if the interior wasn't soiled, but as for the rest the only mistake he made was letting you in in the first place. I wouldn't dream of letting people in who were stinking of a filthy river, so i'd have to say props to him for actually making an effort.

Soldato
not sure of all the bile for the taxi driver. taking the money was definitely off if the interior wasn't soiled, but as for the rest the only mistake he made was letting you in in the first place. I wouldn't dream of letting people in who were stinking of a filthy river, so i'd have to say props to him for actually making an effort.

If a cab driver, or anyone, swore at my elderly parents they wouldn't be driving a cab again for quite some time.

Last edited:
Soldato
props for making an effort? he turfed them out before their stop. **** all 'props' are due. if he didn't want the fare he should have refused immediately. the smell from them wouldn't have just appeared half way through the journey. the river stink would have be apparent as soon as they got into the car.

Soldato
actually i havent spoke to the insurance..... i just know water damage is not covered.... so, i suppose i could do that but it sounds a bit suspicious doesnt it? there is no real reason i would lose the phones, 1 maybe but not both.

also depending on what they bothered to check.... both phones did power on for a bit so they could maybe tell that..... the screen is dead on one, and the other worked perfectly fine for about 10 mins after being in rice for 36 hrs before packing up. if they looking into it i fear they could tell the phones had been, at least in part, used.

I would speak to them. Unless your policy specifically states it's not covered for water damage and covers you taking stuff away from home, you would be covered. Where I work we repair phones/laptops etc on behalf of insurance companies and more than half of them are liquid damage. It's not uncommon we see stuff which has been dropped in rivers either.

Soldato
OP
I would speak to them. Unless your policy specifically states it's not covered for water damage and covers you taking stuff away from home, you would be covered. Where I work we repair phones/laptops etc on behalf of insurance companies and more than half of them are liquid damage. It's not uncommon we see stuff which has been dropped in rivers either.

thanks.
I spoke with the insurance and i was pleasantly surprised. No problem at all. i just need to photo the phone as proof along with any recipts for other stuff and post on.
She asked i keep the stuff just incase they want to see them, but the impression i got was it is unlikely they will bother. (perhaps would have been more interested if i had been claiming for an iphone X or what ever the newest £800+ phones are.

Soldato
thanks.
I spoke with the insurance and i was pleasantly surprised. No problem at all. i just need to photo the phone as proof along with any recipts for other stuff and post on.
She asked i keep the stuff just incase they want to see them, but the impression i got was it is unlikely they will bother. (perhaps would have been more interested if i had been claiming for an iphone X or what ever the newest £800+ phones are.

Glad to hear it, I'm sure they'll be fine. They might ask to collect them to carry out an inspection on the items, but sounds like they will be happy with proof of purchase and pics. Don't add stuff to the claim like your friends suggested though (I know you already decided not too) :)

Soldato
Not sure if answered but how did you manage to hit a tree?

That is really **** of the taxi driver, glad you're getting the money back and the firm is going to have a word with him. How on earth did he even justify £90??? Was he trying to throw in some extra charge for causing damage/cleaning fee etc...? I'm presuming the distance you got in the canoe wasn't anywhere near £90 worth of taxi driving.

Ref: the insurance - To be fair why should the insurance company pay for the phones - that's completely avoidable and is the OP's own fault for not just sticking them in a waterproof bag.

An acquaintance of mine went on a kayaking trip along some river in Canada with a few people and they capsized , a few of the nwaterproof bags they had floated away out of reach , I guess even with the best thought out precautions **** happens

Man of Honour
An acquaintance of mine went on a kayaking trip along some river in Canada with a few people and they capsized , a few of the nwaterproof bags they had floated away out of reach , I guess even with the best thought out precautions **** happens

That is why you don't just have a random ziploc/drybag floating around - do people really need to be taught this stuff? :(

So many times when I've done outdoors stuff people are woefully unprepared when it comes to securing things like phones and almost every time inevitably someone loses/destroys one.

Back
Top Bottom