STALKER: Call of Pripyat

Associate
Perhaps a dumb question but is STALKER anything like the Metro 2033 series? I vaguely remember playing it (STALKER) for half an hour once, but it felt *too* open-world to the point of being kind of aimless.

Caporegime
Perhaps a dumb question but is STALKER anything like the Metro 2033 series? I vaguely remember playing it (STALKER) for half an hour once, but it felt *too* open-world to the point of being kind of aimless.

It has a similar setting though it's a much more linear driven experience (I haven't played Exodus), and I believe some of the developers that worked on Stalker also contributed with development for the Metro games. If you were to try Stalker again, my advice would be to probably avoid the larger, more grandiose mods available and instead just focus on playing something which aims to polish the original experience e.g. Clear Sky Reclamation project (just an example).

https://www.moddb.com/mods/srp

Associate
It has a similar setting though it's a much more linear driven experience (I haven't played Exodus), and I believe some of the developers that worked on Stalker also contributed with development for the Metro games. If you were to try Stalker again, my advice would be to probably avoid the larger, more grandiose mods available and instead just focus on playing something which aims to polish the original experience e.g. Clear Sky Reclamation project (just an example).

https://www.moddb.com/mods/srp
Interesting that you say it's more linear because that's what I thought it wasn't! I did only play it briefly but I remember being left to wander off myself across the vast wasteland and I wasn't really given a quest or objective. Maybe I'm mis-remembering though.

Caporegime
Interesting that you say it's more linear because that's what I thought it wasn't! I did only play it briefly but I remember being left to wander off myself across the vast wasteland and I wasn't really given a quest or objective. Maybe I'm mis-remembering though.

Sorry, my brain wasn't working properly, I got my words mixed up and was thinking of Metro. Yes, Stalker is a semi-open world game with a main quest and objective but also plenty of side missions, if you choose to do them.

Associate
Sorry, my brain wasn't working properly, I got my words mixed up and was thinking of Metro. Yes, Stalker is a semi-open world game with a main quest and objective but also plenty of side missions, if you choose to do them.
Got it. My problem in those kind of games is I usually end up wandering off and seeing most of the map before I actually undertake the missions. When I come to actually completing objectives I've seen most of the map already. At least that's how it was in Metro Exodus.

Caporegime
Got it. My problem in those kind of games is I usually end up wandering off and seeing most of the map before I actually undertake the missions. When I come to actually completing objectives I've seen most of the map already. At least that's how it was in Metro Exodus.

It sounds like Exodus is a little more open world than the previous two, which I think is what they were trying to achieve, IIRC.

Associate
It is, for sure. I played it for a short while and that's what turned me off. One redeeming quality, though, was that if you did explore the map before undertaking the missions the characters would "recognise" you when you returned later. That was quite cool.

Soldato
It is, for sure. I played it for a short while and that's what turned me off. One redeeming quality, though, was that if you did explore the map before undertaking the missions the characters would "recognise" you when you returned later. That was quite cool.

IMO the Stalker world is far better than Metro Exodus. Exodus looked good graphically, but didn't feel real, it felt like an empty game world to me. Stalker feels gritty and real with tons of detail. I'm the same in that once I have explored an open world game I lose interest a bit, but with Stalker I never get bored of it as the map is so detailed and feels like a living breathing world. You will get wandering bandit groups that could show up anywhere at any time, or might wander into a group of Stalkers fighting with mutants and can wait it out ready to go and loot the bodies after the fight. It has to be played with mods though as the vanilla graphics are very dated now, but they are much improved with some graphical and atmospheric mods.

Back
Top Bottom