• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why do people avoid palit cards?

Associate
I dont know why individuals would avoid them, but I didnt when I bought an overclocked GTX 1080 a while ago. It has been rock solid stable and quiet as well as being overclocked and built like a tank. Haven't had to use customer service so cant comment on that.

Caporegime
Great cards and often cheaper than the big main name boys but often have superior cooling and lower temps.

Only reason not to buy us warranty means sending your card abroad and a longer turnaround than cards with UK warranty

Soldato
Aren't they the cheaper sister brand to another, better regarded one? I forget all the twin brands, but better performing silicon will generally go in the premier brand, so cheaper ones, like Palit, get the worst of it.

To be honest, it's years since I took an interest in GPUs, so I might have that all wrong!

Not that it makes a whole lot of difference anyway.

Don
Aren't they the cheaper sister brand to another, better regarded one? I forget all the twin brands, but better performing silicon will generally go in the premier brand, so cheaper ones, like Palit, get the worst of it.

Palit also run the Gainward brand, but generally they aren't sold in the same geographical markets, so no worry of "lesser" chips going to one or the other brand.

Soldato
Shorter warranty & spotty long-term life (at least, anecdotally). I know at least for myself I'd give them a pass considering the space invaders saga with Turing. I want to have warranty for as long as possible. At least for the UK Zotac would've been my first choice, followed by EVGA +extended warranty.

Soldato
Have said it many times, They make great cards, have a palit 1080ti myself but 2 year warranty, hard to deal with and long turn around times and you got to
post it back to ASIA for repair.

Correct me if wrong, do they not also produce the Quadro cards, they are nvidia's largest Quadro card manufacturer. They are bigger than Gigabyte, ASUS and MSI combined.

Caporegime
They don't apparently, as when everyone was waiting months and months for the Pascals, i queried about the Palits, as they were forever in stock, 10+ all the time, i wondered why no one would just grab one of them instead, instead of waiting for months and months for the others, and thought they musn't be selling, but Gibbo said they are the biggest sellers, and he just gets mountains of them in all the time, so he doesn't run out of em :p

Associate
Branding, I recall when BFG were all the rage, they had a 'cool' macho image, where are they now?

They went into Liquidation in 2010, rumour was Nvidia stopped supplying them with cards after they approached ATI/AMD to become a partner. Not sure how accurate that is but I've seen it said in a few places.

Soldato
When someone mentioned Palit, the first thing that pops in my mind is still always their GTX460 768MB card cutting corner with no heatsink on the vrm and kill itself overtime :p

May be that image got stuck :D

Man of Honour
People also abused their RMA.

People abusing their RMA/warranty was only part of the picture - BFG seemed to end up with a lot of cards suffering BGA solder failure problems for some reason - I suspect storage or transit - which ended up costing them heavily - not just lots of people abusing the RMA.

Main difference with Palit really is the generally shorter warranty than other brands and the heatsink/materials tend to be cheap - all aluminium where other brands use atleast a little bit of copper, etc. cheaper plastics - you can feel the difference both in surface texture quality and weight.

From my experience Palit hasn't been any more or less reliable though than any other brand (some exceptions aside like Marine-RX179 mentions above).

I've used Palit for secondary PCs for year and years without a single failure so far that I can recall (hope I'm not cursing myself) and currently using a Palit 1070 in my main system as I got it really cheap.

Last edited:
Soldato
From what I've learned AMD and Nvidia have certain AIBs for certain regions of the world. So there might be an AIB that you've rarely heard from selling cards from an etailer that makes you draw pause to them.
Usually there is nothing wrong with the card. In most cases they are simply OEM cards with stickers of their branding on them. If they are aftermarket treat it no different then any other AM card and search for reviews.

Soldato
People abusing their RMA/warranty was only part of the picture - BFG seemed to end up with a lot of cards suffering BGA solder failure problems for some reason - I suspect storage or transit - which ended up costing them heavily - not just lots of people abusing the RMA.

Main difference with Palit really is the generally shorter warranty than other brands and the heatsink/materials tend to be cheap - all aluminium where other brands use atleast a little bit of copper, etc. cheaper plastics - you can feel the difference both in surface texture quality and weight.

From my experience Palit hasn't been any more or less reliable though than any other brand (some exceptions aside like Marine-RX179 mentions above).

I've used Palit for secondary PCs for year and years without a single failure so far that I can recall (hope I'm not cursing myself) and currently using a Palit 1070 in my main system as I got it really cheap.

Yes my 8800 320 had to be sent back and got a 9800gtx as a replacement.

Back
Top Bottom