The Thick of It

Man of Honour
I only stumbled across this show by accident really. Synopsis for those under a rock like me: it’s a show about the inner workings of the UK government and largely focusses on bumbling politicians trying their best to avoid catastrophe under the fury of the extremely manipulative and furious spin doctor, Malcom Tucker.

Good grief, how did I miss this when it came out?! It is absolutely stunning. I don’t think I have laughed so hard in ages. Malcolm Tucker is perhaps the best character in any show I have ever seen, surpassed only, perhaps, by his even more ‘ultra-turbo’ Scottish colleague. Finished off with the spin off film, in the loop, last night.

If you haven’t seen this show it is absolutely essential viewing, perhaps even more relevant in today’s political climate.

Whole show is on Netflix with the spin off film currently on Amazon prime.

What a show :D

FTM

FTM

Soldato
has some of the most creative swearing ever spat out by a scotsman..its glorious

though Veep has since outshone it as Armando Iannucci and his team really polished their style

Soldato
has some of the most creative swearing ever spat out by a scotsman..its glorious

though Veep has since outshone it as Armando Iannucci and his team really polished their style

he is especially fond of using violent sexual imagery.

Also check out in the loop which is a film spin off from the thick of it. You get double jeopardy with 2 crazy Scots using very creative swearing. Highly recommended

Soldato
It's an absolute masterpiece. So many good quotes. I particularly like the Ollie Reeder ones :p

“Feet off the furniture you Oxbridge ****, you’re not on a punt now.”
“I’d love to stop and chat but I’d rather have type 2 diabetes.”
“You can’t have a Prime Minister called Dan. People called Dan work in ****ing fitness centres and listen to West Coast jazz.”

Obviously most of them aren't postable here!

Soldato
I only stumbled across this show by accident really. Synopsis for those under a rock like me: it’s a show about the inner workings of the UK government and largely focusses on bumbling politicians trying their best to avoid catastrophe under the fury of the extremely manipulative and furious spin doctor, Malcom Tucker.

Good grief, how did I miss this when it came out?! It is absolutely stunning. I don’t think I have laughed so hard in ages. Malcolm Tucker is perhaps the best character in any show I have ever seen, surpassed only, perhaps, by his even more ‘ultra-turbo’ Scottish colleague. Finished off with the spin off film, in the loop, last night.

If you haven’t seen this show it is absolutely essential viewing, perhaps even more relevant in today’s political climate.

Whole show is on Netflix with the spin off film currently on Amazon prime.

What a show :D
I'd you enjoyed this you would probably enjoy its counterpart VEEP which is created by the same people and equally as funny.

Soldato
It's probably the best comedy of all time. The quality of writing is just exceptional, somehow they have managed to make almost every line funny meaning you need several viewings to catch everything and completely appreciate it. The very first scene even has a classic - "he's about as much use as a marzipan *****" :p

It's a shame about Chris Langham. Hugh was probably the best character of the first series after Malcolm, but Nicola was a worthy replacement.

Veep is also good, you'll also enjoy it, but it's not in the same league as the thick of it.

Soldato
Agree I thought it was part of the citizenship test ... maybe Brass eye too ? ... the Office

I don't now know how much of the series pre-dated genuine scandals in government that showed people it was close to the truth.
They should have re-broadcast it preceeding the Brexit referendum. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

( did have an earlier thread https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/the-thick-of-it.18776779/#post-30711009 )

Man of Honour
OP
Will check out Veep, thanks guys!

@jpaul yeah I did see the old thread but when you necro you struggle to put your own... ‘spin’ on matters :p

@weringo yeah couldn’t believe what happened to Chris when I looked it up. The scene where he hides in the cupboard is probably my favourite of the whole show :D

Even the first episode when they are trying to come up with things in the car:

“My kids went to a zoo... they said it was really dirty....... oh god that’s ****. That’s utter ****.”
“How about... everyone has to carry a plastic bag?”

lol :o

Soldato
It is utterly superb. As noted above, I discover more brilliance the more I watch it having watched the various series multiple times.

Also as noted above, In The Loop is a brilliant film.

Associate
Absolutely anything that Iannucci directs turns to gold. Still haven't gotten round to watching Veep mind you.

I've now just seen that Veep is on NowTV, that's that sorted then.

Soldato
Will check out Veep, thanks guys!
well I've just checked it out again .. four days to watch 6 series on nowtv ... 4minutes was all i needed.

..but my opinion remains the same ... it's just like a usa sitcom ... hard to believe he wrote it, but maybe it appealed to Americans and he gets their sense of humour.
episodes of saturday night live and their comic take-off of trump is miles better eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQlhWBvAwY
so their humour can't be poles apart.

so all of veep Box set is on Nowtv, which is a good introductory/best episode ? - just dipped into S1e1 and (somewhat as commented) is not as visceral/caustic as
the thick of it, hard to believe it was written by Mr Arnoucci, it feels stilted and you feel the actors are waiting for the studio audience to laugh.

Soldato
well I've just checked it out again .. four days to watch 6 series on nowtv ... 4minutes was all i needed.

..but my opinion remains the same ... it's just like a usa sitcom ... hard to believe he wrote it, but maybe it appealed to Americans and he gets their sense of humour.
episodes of saturday night live and their comic take-off of trump is miles better eg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vQlhWBvAwY
so their humour can't be poles apart.
Anything with Congressman Furlong in.

Back
Top Bottom