Alan Turing, the new face of the £50 note

Soldato
I had one myself, once... Couldn't tell you who is on any of teh notes, unless they're Queen of somewhere, though.

It's mostly other people I see with Fifties, flashing thick wads of 'em as they pay their mechanic's bill. Half of them are drug dealers, and of a certain ethnic background, but I'm sure both are merely coincidental...

Yep the ones who are always driving around in Audi's.

They have plenty of 50's but their cars are always on lease.

Caporegime
For those lamenting on not seeing £50 notes, come to Cornwall! The only bank operated cash point where I live only gives £50 notes.
You must live in one of the posh villages for 2nd/3rd home owners ;) The cash machines here dispense directions to the closest food bank.

Associate
You must live in one of the posh villages for 2nd/3rd home owners ;) The cash machines here dispense directions to the closest food bank.

Nowt posh about St Ives, just certain business owners wish we were Padstow :rolleyes:
I didn't realize the kerrier lot knew how to use an ATM? :p

Even if you only press the £20 option?

No option for that, there are two hole in the walls in town, Barclays is the only bank left and will only offer £50 notes as it's costing to much to keep refilling the ATM in summer.

Man of Honour
If the decision was based upon his genius, then "yay".
If it was based upon his liking men's bottoms, then "nay".

While I understand and agree with what you're saying, give it a rest would you? Even if it is to do with how he was treated due to his sexuality - which I doubt - it really is obvious to anyone not under the influence of severe confirmation bias that this particular decision isn't part of some larger left wing group identity politics agenda. If they'd picked "LGBT" instead of scientists as their field, or slapped a rainbow on it then yes, that would be different, but this isn't what happened.

Associate
While I understand and agree with what you're saying, give it a rest would you? Even if it is to do with how he was treated due to his sexuality - which I doubt - it really is obvious to anyone not under the influence of severe confirmation bias that this particular decision isn't part of some larger left wing group identity politics agenda. If they'd picked "LGBT" instead of scientists as their field, or slapped a rainbow on it then yes, that would be different, but this isn't what happened.
Across society, people are being selected for things based upon membership of a victim group, to such an extent that the selection of any person who is part of a victim group must now be viewed with suspicion.

A relative of mine was just selected for an academic award, even though he failed his exams. Why? Because he was the only homo in the group.
All women shortlists for political posts......
STEM jobs going to females/ BAME/ LGBT rather than the best candidate.
And so on. It's happening everywhere.

If some white, hetero male was put on a note, then I'd conclude that it was a choice made upon fair considerations. Otherwise, it's suspect.
The solution is a return to selection based upon merit.

Soldato
However it does seem a poor reflection on the UK education system if people were unaware of Turing, other than having seen the film,
but, I suppose mandatory computing syllabus is new, if indeed he is mentioned there.

I guess they did not disclose actual votes, for different nominees.
If the criteria for his selection was dual mode, for both his scientific contribution and as a cathartic apology I have no problem with that.

Man of Honour
A bloody great choice imo - not that I ever get to see £50 notes, as I'm not a cockney villain!

Nor am I, but I’d take 2 or 3 per week when I was driving a Black Cab in London.

What's a £50 note?

How ignominious to declare that on a public forum, it’s tantamount
to saying, “bacon? do regular folks really have that for breakfast?”

Back
Top Bottom