Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Is the connected device also 3x3 Wireless-AC?

setup is virgin media modem mode>6x6 dual core ac3200>3x3 single core ac66u>wired to pc.

speed test posted was taken by wiring a laptop into the ac3200. according to the asus dash the ac66u unit syncs over the 5ghz channel at approx 1gbps.

I have line of sight over a distance of 8 feet.

Soldato
Sweet, after the disappointment of downgrading 300 to 200 and finding out upload drops to 10mb, I've got the free upgrade upload to 20+my back to where I was with the faster service.

Soldato
setup is virgin media modem mode>6x6 dual core ac3200>3x3 single core ac66u>wired to pc.
speed test posted was taken by wiring a laptop into the ac3200. according to the asus dash the ac66u unit syncs over the 5ghz channel at approx 1gbps.
I have line of sight over a distance of 8 feet.

WiFi really should be thought of as a convenience and not as technology to base vital things over.
PHY sync being 1Gb over WiFi should automatically adjust your expectation of real time throughput to 500Mb. Then start taking off some overheads and local channel noise (as I bet you're using 80Mhz width at that) etc etc. Like @bremen1874 says, is there no way of running a cat5 cable even if it's round the edges of the room or under the skirting board? Removes all WiFi entity completely.

Sweet, after the disappointment of downgrading 300 to 200 and finding out upload drops to 10mb, I've got the free upgrade upload to 20+my back to where I was with the faster service.

Interesting as I was going to ask this. If anyone has regraded since the upgrades and been able to get the quicker uploads. Been weighing up the packages and I've always thought a 200/20 would be ample for home but with a couple of months until my PN contract is up I have plenty of decision making and research time.

Soldato
Why would you run wireless bridge (I assume that's what you're doing) for an eight-foot line of sight connection? Can't you cable it?

I never had these problems when I was a single man, I would have run Krone shielded cat6 with a core thicker than a stick of rock by now :)

I have an unusual room layout which means any cable will cross the dining room table area.

With WIFI i get to keep my toys and little female interference in my day-to-day geek activities. Unfortunately I have picked up some interference of another type.

Soldato
is there no way of running a cat5 cable even if it's round the edges of the room or under the skirting board? Removes all WiFi entity completely.

considering an AX router and adapter setup, I just need to pluck up the courage for my wallet to take a damn beating although with some tweaking over the weekend, I am up to around the 420mpbs sustained mark with 8msec latency.

Soldato
considering an AX router and adapter setup, I just need to pluck up the courage for my wallet to take a damn beating although with some tweaking over the weekend, I am up to around the 420mpbs sustained mark with 8msec latency.

Cat5e - £5 - <1ms latency - Gigabit speeds at FULL duplex :cool: <<You know it makes sense.

Soldato
Question for those wired directly into their SuperHub 3.0. If your computer is turned on and either the SH3 restarts or you restart it yourself, do you need to restart your computer before being able to access the internet again?

I've only had the above issue since 1903 was installed recently, before that I was on 1709 and never had this issue. Another machine which is also on 1903 also has the same problem, but I put it down the configuration of the machine, software or driver - but now I think it's Windows or some quirk about Windows that I need to address.

Soldato
Question for those wired directly into their SuperHub 3.0. If your computer is turned on and either the SH3 restarts or you restart it yourself, do you need to restart your computer before being able to access the internet again?

I've only had the above issue since 1903 was installed recently, before that I was on 1709 and never had this issue. Another machine which is also on 1903 also has the same problem, but I put it down the configuration of the machine, software or driver - but now I think it's Windows or some quirk about Windows that I need to address.
I did it earlier, reset the router with my PC still on, soon as the router booted up I had internet as normal.

Try logging off the user rather than restarting, see if that helps.

Associate
Anyone here signed up to Netflix through VM?

I’m just interested to know how it works and if it is the same as signing up outside of VM. Does it give you access when out and about on an ipad? Do you get a Netflix login?

Associate
hi, I'm on vm350 and need some advice, I've got the following setup

vm sh3> orbi rbk23
netgear GS208-100UKS>orbi rbk23

pc, sky q, av amp, light controller and tv all connect to the netgear switch, everything is working but when I run a speedtest on my pc I regularly get between 200-270, sometimes I get the full 350 but very rarely, if I connect directly to the sh3 I get full speed all the time, could it be the switch or the orbi

Associate
So your setup is,

vm sh3> orbi rbk23

orbi rbk23 > netgear GS208-100UKS > pc, sky q, av amp, light controller and tv

When running the speed test do you make sure all other devices are turned off and not downloading anything?

Soldato
Anyone here signed up to Netflix through VM?

I’m just interested to know how it works and if it is the same as signing up outside of VM. Does it give you access when out and about on an ipad? Do you get a Netflix login?
No never done it through them and don't really know anybody who has. I would give them a call and ask - probably sales is your best best of getting through to somebody who won't just blow smoke up your derrier.

Back
Top Bottom