Is the moutune m52 golf r the new hot hatch sleeper king?

Soldato
I'm mulling a replacement for my civic EP3 type r which I love dearly, but it's 16 years old and won't last forever. When I got it, the rationale was that it was cheaper, more reliable, at least as practical, and faster than it's generation of golf GTI. Times have changed. Hot hatches have gone from "200bhp is too much for FWD" to 300bhp is becoming the benchmark, and 400 is the super hatch.
While I quite like the look of the new type r (It has presence even if it's a bit OTT), the interior is lacking and tbh, I don't do track days, and while it's regained it's proper rear suspension, it's lost it's naturally aspirated voice which was it's best feature IMO.

I may/may not be in a position to replace it soon with something better, and while I've looked at the new type r and had a moment or two of lust, my head is telling me that the new focus st has potential when mountune get their hands on it. But then there's the golf r m52. >£37K new easy to live with and faster than a audi rs3 for a lot less (3.7s to 62 claimed)

Is this the new sleeper value king of performance? Is it worth buying a new car and then destroying the resale value by having it tweaked and losing the manufacturer's warranty? (unlike mountune tuned fords).

Soldato
OP
Before you spend a dime you got to ask yourself do you need that 0-60 in 3.7s?

Since you stated you don’t do track days, 0-60 in 3.7s is 99.9% useless in daily driving.

Unless you just like to have a car knowing you have that power under the hood, just because.

You speak wisdom, it would be because of potential. So 2nd hand golf r and grow up then? Or focus st estate and a dog?

Soldato
Before you spend a dime you got to ask yourself do you need that 0-60 in 3.7s?

Since you stated you don’t do track days, 0-60 in 3.7s is 99.9% useless in daily driving.

Unless you just like to have a car knowing you have that power under the hood, just because.

A fast 0-60 time is utterly pointless for trackdays. They aren't competitive and generally you pootle out of the pits in an orderly fashion, not with a full bore standing start.

It is, however, useful if you compete in sprints or hillclimbs with the family wagon.

Soldato
The M52 package is just an underpowered overpriced fashion statement when compared to established VW group tuners like Revo, Racingline, APR etc. in my opinion.

If it kept the warranty intact like with Ford, it might be worth considering. As it doesn't though, it doesn't offer anything the others don't offer for significantly less, if anything, it offers less at more cost.

Caporegime
The 0-62 times are relatively useless these days anyway, as 99 times out of 100 they’ll be reliant on using launch control to achieve the time anyway. Contrary to funny videos, you can’t use launch all the time ;)

I think I’ve used Launch Control three times whilst owning my S3. And one of those times the car **** itself and went into limp home mode.

Soldato
OP
The 0-62 times are relatively useless these days anyway, as 99 times out of 100 they’ll be reliant on using launch control to achieve the time anyway. Contrary to funny videos, you can’t use launch all the time ;)

I think I’ve used Launch Control three times whilst owning my S3. And one of those times the car **** itself and went into limp home mode.

Is there much difference between a golf r and an s3 apart from price?

Soldato
The Ford Mountune kits are pretty good, I had them on both of my STs. They might seem like they offer less power than some of the others but people tested them side by side and they were somehow quicker. Probably due to a better power curve. Or maybe the other tweaks/parts included in the package.

Anyway, the EP3 is a better car from a driving perspective. VAG seem to be really good at fast but boring :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The Ford Mountune kits are pretty good, I had them on both of my STs. They might seem like they offer less power than some of the others but people tested them side by side and they were somehow quicker. Probably due to a better power curve. Or maybe the other tweaks/parts included in the package.

Anyway, the EP3 is a better car from a driving perspective. VAG seem to be really good at fast but boring :)

The EP3 isn't great for 100 mile+ trips with the wife and kids, it's tiring to drive if engaging. It's also really poor on fuel consumption compared to today's hot hatches. It's biggest problem now though is it has a type R badge on it and the number of quicker cars that see that and want to have a go has grown. It's out gunned by a stock fiesta ST. It's saving grace is the noise (which is also a problem on long journeys).

Soldato
Are we talking real world here or fantasy world where going sideways round corners is somehow faster? ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxcx17JZjfw

i think he specifically addressed your LOLnasher at 2:10-2:45

It's pretty common knowledge that they don't corner well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpLzx9Z8Puw

Not saying they are a **** car. But while they are a rocket on the straight, you have to shave off all the momentum in bends to stay on the road. The larger models are even worse.

Last edited:
Soldato
For every day use isn’t the Golf R the recognised best choice? Does everything rather well, without being the king of anything.
Just decide manual or auto.....
It’s biggest smile verses most everyday practical, biggest smile = Focus RS, best everyday = Golf R, quickest TLGP = RS3.

Soldato
For a hatch they a good all-rounder. But just beware of thieves and carjackers as they are a big target. Enough to put many buyers off.

Back
Top Bottom