• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The R9 Nano Fiji Owners Thread

Associate
@Panos ... I tried the new vBIOS ... it's indeed much more stable at higher clocks, and one can go further with the under volting whilst maintaining stability ... however, in the Metro 2033 Redux benchmark I'm using, frame rates have dropped by 2-3%, there are fewer minimums though, and the minimum is higher (one of the 3 runs always had one drop to 8 FPS - others well above 30 - but now the lowest on any is 28FPS).

Will see how far I can push it stable on the Metro benchmark (used because aside from Furmark it seems to get the GPU hottest and induce thermal throttling most easily). If I can get it quite a bit higher stable, but with some thermal throttling on the third run, then it will likely never thermal throttle in normal gaming.

Soldato
@Panos ... I tried the new vBIOS ... it's indeed much more stable at higher clocks, and one can go further with the under volting whilst maintaining stability ... however, in the Metro 2033 Redux benchmark I'm using, frame rates have dropped by 2-3%, there are fewer minimums though, and the minimum is higher (one of the 3 runs always had one drop to 8 FPS - others well above 30 - but now the lowest on any is 28FPS).

Will see how far I can push it stable on the Metro benchmark (used because aside from Furmark it seems to get the GPU hottest and induce thermal throttling most easily). If I can get it quite a bit higher stable, but with some thermal throttling on the third run, then it will likely never thermal throttle in normal gaming.

After updating the bios, did you uninstall the drivers, used DDU and put them back again? Also do you experience the fps drops when downvolting? What are your current temps? Have you tried to replace after 2y the paste with a better one like kryonaut? Do you use WC or standard air cooler?

Associate
After updating the bios, did you uninstall the drivers, used DDU and put them back again? Also do you experience the fps drops when downvolting? What are your current temps? Have you tried to replace after 2y the paste with a better one like kryonaut? Do you use WC or standard air cooler?

Not DDU'd yet, no.

Performance loss was at same clock, power limit and (under) volts as prior BIOS. Have now upped clocks and increased undervolting, since new BIOS doesn't seem to mind it. Average FPS drop could be an aberration ... but like I said, minimums are now higher and fewer, so perhaps better anyway.

Per my previous post, this interest was inspired by my card beginning to throttle heavily (hotter weather and new location of PC has reduced airflow). Sometimes as low as 850Mhz and going right to the thermal limit of 85C at stock setting. I took the card apart, got rid of the massive amount of original TIM, and used Liquid Metal Ultra - which I think is probably why I can push the memory so far on stock cooler ... those tiny HBM dies IMO won't do well with any conventional TIM. In the same games it's now doing 1060/600 and reaching a maximum of 65-75C, depending on game, with zero throttling. Suspect it can go quite a bit higher than that with the new vBIOS.

Certainly, if I get a Vega, first thing I'll do is replace the TIM with Liquid Metal Ultra**********.

*********** If anyone else wants to do that - make sure you are patient and have a steady hand, and don't apply too much ... I'm not sure it would be good for the interposer if you spill it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Few years later and I am back xD

My fav GPU ever, Kaap add me plz LOL.

This will do until GPU space sees some worthy performance / price improvements xD

IyAraOD.jpg

Welcome and on TROH again.:):D

The Roll of Honour.

Date 05/07/2019, Make Reference, Boomstick777, Link
Date 27/05/2016, Make Reference, Jeeva, Link
Date 09/04/2016, Make Reference, Rew-UK, Link
Date 08/04/2016, Make Reference, oap, Link
Date 31/03/2016, Make Reference, abui1806, Link
Date 30/03/2016, Make Reference, maltrabob, Link
Date 30/03/2016, Make Reference, pieman109, Link
Date 15/03/2016, Make Reference, Scrumpy_Jack, Link
Date 24/02/2016, Make Reference, ishoeyi, Link
Date 20/02/2016, Make Reference, CivilDrone, Link
Date 20/02/2016, Make Reference, Panos, Link
Date 11/02/2016, Make Reference, Benny144, Link
Date 08/02/2016, Make Reference, Boomstick777, Link
Date 13/10/2015, Make Reference, Radox-0, Link
Date 12/10/2015, Make Reference, spikerules, Link

PylsbsH.png

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your R9 Nano.

Soldato
Interesting, looks like the same pump on my cm 120 seidon. How does it cope with the Fiji?
I temporarily used the same pump on a Rx470 and max temps were about 40c at 1.20v

Yeah is the Seidon, got some serious value out of this cooler. Think it was like £50 or something a while back xD.

Temps are good, IDLE 26c / Load 50C. Low setting on fan, really quiet. Only using 1 fan on rad as other gets in away of CPU cooler. Seems to cope fine.

Having the VRM heatsink on there is a bonus, air from case fans cool it.

Soldato
Absolute sweet setup with the Nano there and
Very good temps for this basic cooler,
I always wanted a Nano for my Elite 110 case, but unfortunately they were too dear back in the day.

Soldato
Absolute sweet setup with the Nano there and
Very good temps for this basic cooler,
I always wanted a Nano for my Elite 110 case, but unfortunately they were too dear back in the day.

My fav ever GPU lol. Plan is to run this until Cyberpunk drops, then get a proper high end card at the time.

These are cheap now, got this one for £125 with 2 year warranty. Not to shabby.

Associate
Amusingly, it seems that Cyberpunk has a "recommended" of an R9 Fury. Close enough?

specs_cyberpunk.jpg

Very unsure what settings and resolution they expect there; it looks obscenely pretty, I'd have doubts. But happy if they want to say it's fine!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom