1st build advise please

Associate
If it's ok to post links can anyone check out this parts list me and my lad have come up with for a 1st build. He defo wants intel and Nvidia but if anyone got any recommendations or advice on changes that would be great. It will be 1080p maybe 144hz. Games like new CoD , Fortnite . Stuff like that.. also to be able to upgrade in the future would be great. As his current pc isn't worth upgrading. Thanks.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,251.06 (includes shipping: £13.20)

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there

Links to competitors are not allowed here - OCUK run and pay for the forums so would rather not help drive customers elsewhere.

List the parts and budget and we'll help

Associate
OP
Hi there

Links to competitors are not allowed here - OCUK run and pay for the forums so would rather not help drive customers elsewhere.

List the parts and budget and we'll help

Hi. Totally understand. My mistake. I've seen people's shopping baskets from OC on here. How do you link them in please.

Soldato
Here is my build, completely ignoring what you asked for. ;)

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1TB NVMe M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB DUAL EVO OC Video Card
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Total ~£1080

Go 1440P, 1080p is a waste of time. :)

Associate
OP
Ok so it seems no one likes our 1st attempt.. do ya all know how long that took us. .. anyway I appreciate your advise and it seems everyone is saying Ryzen. I've not considered it as his other PCs have been intel , Nvidia. and he wanted to keep it familiar. So can I ask some questions.

Apart from ££ what's the main advantage over intel?

Can you use Nvidia GPUs with Ryzen ?

The pc will also be used for homework , watching films, usual stuff, how does Ryzen handle that..?

And lastly and probably most stupid.

Does it still use Windows 10 and look, work the same as a pc using intel.

Man of Honour
Apart from ££ what's the main advantage over intel?
More threads = better longevity

Can you use Nvidia GPUs with Ryzen ?
Yes

The pc will also be used for homework , watching films, usual stuff, how does Ryzen handle that.
Absolutely fine

Does it still use
Yes

Off topic: omg @Plec I impulses bought 32gb e-die ram today...guess I'm crumbling to the upgrade itch...lol

Associate
If it's ok to post links can anyone check out this parts list me and my lad have come up with for a 1st build. He defo wants intel and Nvidia but if anyone got any recommendations or advice on changes that would be great. It will be 1080p maybe 144hz. Games like new CoD , Fortnite . Stuff like that.. also to be able to upgrade in the future would be great. As his current pc isn't worth upgrading. Thanks.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,251.06 (includes shipping: £13.20)

I'd consider going Ryzen. I do not see any reason to pick an i5 over the 3rd gen Ryzen 3600, you get more cores and threads which will be better for the future; when games start to become more optimised in multi core usage. You could easily save a few pounds and invest in some games or larger, faster storage for you and your lad. The standard cooler that comes with the 3600 is also excellent and would save you forking out for the Hyper 212. If it has to be Intel, that seems to me like a solid build.

Soldato
Read post #14, @tamzzy answers will not vary with any other response.

And although I used paint to violate the 3600 box as joke in my build - the spec was legit.

I chose the MSI Pro Carbon as your z390 had Wifi included - if you don't need this you could save ~£30 and get the MSI Tomahawk. Plus, you can afford the 2070 SUPER over the standard 2070 with the 3600 - a superior card (8GB and ~matches 2080 performance) and will give you greater performance boost in games over INTEL/standard RTX 2070.

Added a 1Gb NVMe drive (you could still add a conventional drive if required), the Corsair PSU is a quality unit on sale with 10 year warranty. Case is a place holder (choose your preference) but unless you plan on using an optical drive a lot i would get an external device and a sleeker case - 600s case in white if you like their design. You could add a third party cooler if required the Mugen 5 is a great performance cooler for the money - even comes with an RGB variety - Review - and case was a place holder. Plus, build was almost £200 less - it's a win win.

/off topic
Off topic: omg @Plec I impulses bought 32gb e-die ram today...guess I'm crumbling to the upgrade itch...lol
:0 - do we have name for the board yet - is it a baby x450 or a baby x570?

No matter, as long as it's healthy and clocks your E-die :D

/**** - this is going to be get difficult to resist...

Associate
OP
chose the MSI Pro Carbon as your z390 had Wifi included - if you don't need this you could save ~£30 and get the MSI Tomahawk. Plus, you can afford the 2070 SUPER over the standard 2070 with the 3600 - a superior card (8GB and ~matches 2080 performance) and will give you greater performance boost in games over INTEL/standard RTX 2070.

Thanks for the responses and advice. I'm sold on the Ryzen now. We don't need WiFi so the tomahawk would be ok. How future proof are the motherboards for upgrading the processor in the future. I see there is a gen 3 board out would it be better putting one in now and spending the extra. Also what performance would the 2060 super provide compared to the standard 2070. Thanks everyone.

Man of Honour
...most definitely, the memory purchase will prove the thin of the wedge - predict an x570i in a spangly new Neo G as soon as stock is available...
Nah...must resist...and also waiting for bios to mature...

How future proof are the motherboards for upgrading the processor in the future
AMD are supporting the socket until 2020, so by all accounts, ryzen 4000 should be supported.

Also what performance would the 2060 super provide compared to the standard 2070
2060s is only a couple percent slower than 2070

Back
Top Bottom