Chosing a motherboard for the 3900X

Associate
Hello everyone,

I am doing an upgrade to my machina and i am a bit tight on the budget:/ i have been watching videos and reading reviews all over the internet and i still am not too sure on how to procede as i am ver VERY new to overclocking.

I won't be overclocking from the get go, maybe a few months from now when i get a more reliable cooler for this but... i want to be ready for it.

What i needed help with is mainly choosing a board as i don't know what to look for in what regards to the VRM and phases and such...

I was looking at getting a X470 motherboard, mainly the MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon, for the price it's the one i have seen good recomendations and all... i was avoiding the x570 one dus to the pricing and extra heat on them for what i see everywhere... but did look at the Aorus Elite as it was roughly in the same price range... (200€).

Any and all help finding a good board that will be able to OC on the 3900X would be deeply apreciated...

Thank you:)

Associate
OP
What will you be mainly using the system for?
hey:)
Mainly for gaming and Premiere, i also like to experiment a lot with recent emulation projects.

I know it's a bit overkill but i need to keep this one viable for a while with a baby comming the lady won't be too kind in the near future on PC renewals lol

Last edited:
Soldato
What will you be mainly using the system for?

Careful , this one will get you on an Aorus Xtreme ! ^^^

hey:)
Mainly for gaming and Premiere, i also like to experiment a lot with recent emulation projects.

I know it's a bit overkill but i need to keep this one viable for a while with a baby comming the lady won't be too kind in the near future on PC renewals lol

Congrats ! First born ?

Soldato
I was looking at getting a X470 motherboard, mainly the MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon

That's a nice board but you'll need to flash the bios using an older CPU before a 3rd gen will work. I'm not sure why a lot of the cheaper MSI B450 boards allow you to flash the BIOS without a CPU but only the most expensive X470 has that feature. I think the Overclockers store will flash it for you if you ask.

Soldato
And Thank you:) yes it is my first born, a boy:) expecting him by October 1:)
Congrats - nothing like it.

Only, slight draw back is that they absorb money - have you considered the 3700X with an MSI B450 (Pro Carbon or Tomahawk)?

If not convinced - the 3700X with a quality X470 (Gigabyte gaming 7) or Gigabyte Elite X570 and would accommodate the 3900x/3950x with ease in the future if/when needed and prices have dropped.

/off topic
Careful , this one will get you on an Aorus Xtreme ! ^^^
@tamzzy has buckled and bought 32Gb of E-die - it's getting tough now (but not 'Xtremely' tough :p)

Man of Honour
tamzzy has buckled and bought 32Gb of E-die - it's getting tough now (but not 'Xtremely' tough :p)
I know right...so much for being Chinese. Even my genes couldn't save me... :rolleyes:
But on the plus side...it was £146 for the 32gb 3200c16 version with grey heatspreaders... #result
Even crucial are selling it for £170 on their website...

Soldato
Lol, I just want something that works hehehe

And Thank you:) yes it is my first born, a boy:) expecting him by October 1:)

3rd due 20th October if I can remember . Good month to be born in ! Heads up, 1st are normally always late !

@Plec smoothly done !!!

32GB for £141 @tamzzy damn !

Normally I like to push, but do as the guys say an be, B450 and ryzen 3700x ! Save the cash , Christ you'll need it, may not think now but you will .

Had to install silent fans on mine, £20 a pop due to case at one point being next to CotBed !

Always be able to sink a 16+ core Zen3 in 3-4 years time if needs be

Soldato
hah, yeah, couldn't deal with the red. so paid a fiver extra and went with the grey...

Haha, reading all this stuff about Japan and Korea ... Think ram prices are doing to hike up soon enough . Already cashing in on ryzen , have a feeling it will all come around Zen3 launch and guessing ram speed official speed will go up to 3400hz ...

Man of Honour
Haha, reading all this stuff about Japan and Korea ... Think ram prices are doing to hike up soon enough .
same. was thinking about holding off...but the memory companies need no reason to increase the prices...and 32gb will last a while.
£146 is a very good price for 32gb 3200c16 e-die ram. 2x16gb for mini itx goodness...lol

Associate
OP
That's a nice board but you'll need to flash the bios using an older CPU before a 3rd gen will work. I'm not sure why a lot of the cheaper MSI B450 boards allow you to flash the BIOS without a CPU but only the most expensive X470 has that feature. I think the Overclockers store will flash it for you if you ask.
That was my original idea to be honest, just not sure if the board is ideal for the 3900X when i eventually try to OC it. Read really nice things about that board.

Congrats - nothing like it.

Only, slight draw back is that they absorb money - have you considered the 3700X with an MSI B450 (Pro Carbon or Tomahawk)?

If not convinced - the 3700X with a quality X470 (Gigabyte gaming 7) or Gigabyte Elite X570 and would accommodate the 3900x/3950x with ease in the future if/when needed and prices have dropped.

/off topic

@tamzzy has buckled and bought 32Gb of E-die - it's getting tough now (but not 'Xtremely' tough :p)
I had that same exact thought at first, but knowing the missus, it will be a lot easier to get a powerfull coole later on then a new cpu:/ home politics ftw lol.
One thing i never see is anyone recommending or even benchmarks for the 3800X, is it just a OOB OC version of the 3700X?

And thank you for the congrats:) he is already changing our lives and isn't even out of the "oven" lol:)

Back
Top Bottom