• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to Cut Prices of its Desktop Processors by 15% in Response to Ryzen 3000

Associate
Put me on the silly list.

For my workloads which is 99% gaming and some LR work the Intel solution made sense. The 9900k is roughly 20% ahead at 1080p, 10% 1440p and error margins at 4k on average

:)

Well you don't really qualify for the silly list as it looks like you paid 25% less at least for the 9900K + mobo. At that price Intel would be a slightly more sensible choice

However, unless you game at 720p, the gaming gap at 1080p is tiny, only 5% going by TechPowerUp's benching suite which is the largest I've seen (10 games, average gap is that small) and margin of error @1440p only:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/22.html

And that's only if you own a 2080 Ti.

Associate
Well you don't really qualify for the silly list as it looks like you paid 25% less at least for the 9900K + mobo. At that price Intel would be a slightly more sensible choice

However, unless you game at 720p, the gaming gap at 1080p is tiny, only 5% going by TechPowerUp's benching suite which is the largest I've seen (10 games, average gap is that small) and margin of error @1440p only:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-3900x/22.html

And that's only if you own a 2080 Ti.
I use a heavily o/c 2080ti @ 4k so completely gpu bound and i expect to see practically nil improvements with the odd outliner (maybe KCD when in towns with lots of npcs). My buying decision makes zero sense but that works for me hehe :D

Man of Honour
PBO is potential tiny gains for lots more power/heat most people using virtualisation dont care about it. In fact its not that uncommon for people to disable XFR, its all about power efficiency and thread count with virtualisation, 60% power load at 80-90% clock speed? take that all day.

Ryzen master isnt relevant on virtualisation anyway. Although this seems a very silly bug in the software that it doesnt function if virtualisation is enabled.

Linux VMs not booting, is probably a temporary issue until a kernel update, ESXi initially had issues on ryzen launch, just teething issues, once sorted for £ to £, amd will rip apart intel because on intel's security issues virtualisation is by far the worst affected in terms of both risk and performance.

Bear in mind I am talking about proper virtualisation, not toy stuff like virtualbox.

And this sir is why I'm eagerly awaiting my Rome servers. I was sent a list of Rome skus last week so I'm assuming my suppliers are on the case pricing all the kit up for me.

I currently have 6 servers with 2 x xeon x5690 and 192gb ram per server. Half the sockets double the cores for much much less power draw and better performance in the majority of workloads is a win for us.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you lost your mind? 20%? Not even close to true. AND Ryzen is only going to get faster and faster over the coming months.

The gap is 16.5% over a range of games

qeocenba.heo.png

Caporegime
Have you lost your mind? 20%? Not even close to true. AND Ryzen is only going to get faster and faster over the coming months.

the problem for amd is by the time they will be faster the next intel chips will be out which are even faster again. so behind all the time. remember as early as christmas we may see new intel cpus. its gunna take that long for amd to get all these bugs and bios updates out. i still dont get why people think even the 3900x is faster than 9 series for games for eg. they didnt say they were and even said they were the same as a 8700k right from the start.thats the difference.

Man of Honour
the problem for amd is by the time they will be faster the next intel chips will be out which are even faster again. so behind all the time. remember as early as christmas we may see new intel cpus. its gunna take that long for amd to get all these bugs and bios updates out. i still dont get why people think even the 3900x is faster than 9 series for games for eg. they didnt say they were and even said they were the same as a 8700k right from the start.thats the difference.

Problem? I wouldn't call it a problem and if it is it's a very nice problem to have. The Intel chips are getting beaten (sometimes embarassed) in pretty much every tangible metric with the exception of a small deficit in gaming. Intel have the problem right now as their lineup including the 9900k is basically irrelevant.

Soldato
The main thing that pushed me to Zen2 for purely gaming is that 7nm Zen2 is VERY immature. So will only improve (probably dramatically) with BIOS updates, Windows scheduler updates and GPU drivers over the next 12 months. I wouldn't be surprised if it beats the 9900k even in gaming this time next year.

Associate

Absolutely correct.

And we have to wait until 2020 for B550, which will probably be as big a mess on release as X570. So add another 6 months of "stabilisation" before it makes sense to actually buy anything AMD related.

As much as I love what AMD is doing with Ryzen - my god, it's the kick in the balls Intel has needed for a long time - the mindless fanaticism by the AMD fanboys on OCUK is getting ridiculous; many of the posts are now just completely childish.

Associate
It's not crystal ball stuff. It's what every immature process node goes through. Same with Zen1. It got a lot better over ~24 months.

Sorry, but it's mindless speculation. Period.

If an uplift happens, then great news for all of us. But to use such speculative arguments against someone who is making a good case for Intel's current - and upcoming - CPUs is just plain silly.

And looking at the latest Gamers Nexus results (PBO, Auto-OC), it seems ANY form of boost is looking very unlikely.

Sure, newer game engines may be compiled/re-architectured to make better use of Ryzen 3000 (espeically in light of next gen. consoles), but that's a big if and a long way off - 2021/22 before we start to see a flood of new games. At that point, both Intel and AMD will have moved on to better CPUs, so all this speculation is completely moot.

Soldato
So hype has now turned into ryzen 3000 = 7nm beta test

Thanks for beta testing early adopters :)

Ryzen 4000 on 7nm+ is the full product

The stages of grief is something to behold

Associate
So hype has now turned into ryzen 3000 = 7nm beta test

Thanks for beta testing early adopters :)

Ryzen 4000 on 7nm+ is the full product

The stages of grief is something to behold

It's been pretty clear for the last 6 months that AMD has struggled both with the CPUs and X570. It's all been a bit rushed.

And I agree that Ryzen 4000 - now AMD have bought themselves some time and gained a lot of 7nm experience - is where the action really starts. ;)

Associate
Absolutely correct.

And we have to wait until 2020 for B550, which will probably be as big a mess on release as X570. So add another 6 months of "stabilisation" before it makes sense to actually buy anything AMD related.

As much as I love what AMD is doing with Ryzen - my god, it's the kick in the balls Intel has needed for a long time - the mindless fanaticism by the AMD fanboys on OCUK is getting ridiculous; many of the posts are now just completely childish.

Couldn't agree more, it didn't live up to expectations for gaming, so they end up making excuses.

I had a discussion with one guy who said that AMD is the faster gaming processor, although could not provide 1 shred of evidence to hack it up.

It's embarrassing the things people come out with because they can't admit they are wrong.

Associate
It's been pretty clear for the last 6 months that AMD has struggled both with the CPUs and X570. It's all been a bit rushed.

And I agree that Ryzen 4000 - now AMD have bought themselves some time and gained a lot of 7nm experience - is where the action really starts. ;)

Couldn't agree more, I think that Ryzen will defo pick up steam by Zen 11 in 2033....that'll really stick it to the boys at Intel!

Back
Top Bottom