Rift s whos getting one?

Soldato
Nice, so did you upgrade from the normal one yourself?

Yes, I did. I wasn't expecting it to be as big of a difference between the 2. I had a 4 sensor setup with Star tech 4 USB card, spent a lot of money getting it right with ceiling mounted cabling system and everything. Once I put on the Rift S I knew I would never go back to the Rift. And the Rift S keeps getting better with every firmware upgrade.

Oh, I should add one thing, the controllers aren't as well built as the Rift controllers. But, you get used to them.

The guardian system is amazing on the Rift S and the setup is so simple. I can move it from PC to PC in a few minutes and it remembers the play space in that other room. I think it can remember 5 play spaces.

Soldato
that is an interesting thing. a couple of times its "forgot" my play space but i think thats because something has moved and it hasn't recognized it. blinds open vs closed, laptop open vs closed on the desk that sort of thing.

I have a gaming laptop with a 980m in it that im going to try out this week at some point and see how it runs. maybe good for extra playspace in the living room.

Soldato
The Rift S is way better than the Rift. There is only one area where the Rift is better and that's in the sound department. The speakers on the Rift S aren't as good as the Rift.

100%.

Oculus undersold the Rift S. With a tiny bit more refinement, it could have put the Index to bed at its price point.

Mild FOV increase, no bugs at launch, the tracking we have now at launch + solid sound would have made the Index look like a joke for its price.

Associate
Yes, I did. I wasn't expecting it to be as big of a difference between the 2. I had a 4 sensor setup with Star tech 4 USB card, spent a lot of money getting it right with ceiling mounted cabling system and everything. Once I put on the Rift S I knew I would never go back to the Rift. And the Rift S keeps getting better with every firmware upgrade.

Oh, I should add one thing, the controllers aren't as well built as the Rift controllers. But, you get used to them.

The guardian system is amazing on the Rift S and the setup is so simple. I can move it from PC to PC in a few minutes and it remembers the play space in that other room. I think it can remember 5 play spaces.
Awesome, seriously tempted to get one now.

Soldato
100%.

Oculus undersold the Rift S. With a tiny bit more refinement, it could have put the Index to bed at its price point.

Mild FOV increase, no bugs at launch, the tracking we have now at launch + solid sound would have made the Index look like a joke for its price.

Agreed - it's really now only the sound which preventing me from upgrading from my CV1, as the on-ear headphones are just so good on the CV1 and make getting into the headset easy. I'm surprised Oculus haven't made some official clip-on headphones like the PS4 Mantis. Earbuds are not really ideal for VR as they can fall out when playing.

Associate
Agreed - it's really now only the sound which preventing me from upgrading from my CV1, as the on-ear headphones are just so good on the CV1 and make getting into the headset easy. I'm surprised Oculus haven't made some official clip-on headphones like the PS4 Mantis. Earbuds are not really ideal for VR as they can fall out when playing.

I'm going to be the making this headphone mod. Just waiting for the Koss KSC75s to be delivered

https://imgur.com/gallery/V7zKoN9

Soldato

Don't let the sound issue put you off. I still prefer the Rift S over the Rift. Also, there is a simple mod that improves the audio for cheap. It's not like you have to run wires from your pc to the headset, just use the headphone jack on the side of the headset.

Soldato
I'm hoping there will be an official audio upgrade mod, or a purpose made third party one.

I'm running the latest PTC release and still getting intermittent grip trigger lag. Which is not good when handling grenades. :eek:

Associate
Oculus need to update the drivers/software so it recognises Ryzen 3000. Since I upgraded to a 3700x I now get the following message every time I run the Oculus software:

"your computer doesn't meet rifts updated minimum specifications" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato

Oh god.

Don't let that stop you from upgrading.

The CV1's screen is awful and disgusting compared to the Rift S. I put on the Rift S, booted into Oculus Home. Took it off, tried the CV1, and then never wore the CV1 again.

Associate
Could anyone please recommend somewhere you can actually try out a headset before you buy. I am quite taken with the idea of VR and the Rift S looks like a good introduction. However, I’d want to ensure that as a glasses wearer that it would be suitable. I’m sure there are places in, say, London where you can, but tech stores are sorely lacking here in rural Shropshire...

Soldato
Could anyone please recommend somewhere you can actually try out a headset before you buy. I am quite taken with the idea of VR and the Rift S looks like a good introduction. However, I’d want to ensure that as a glasses wearer that it would be suitable.

That's the big challenge I find in that nowhere local has VR headsets available to test. Most places these days let you return it without cost of you but it online and don't like it for any reason though!

I'd prefer to go somewhere and try all the available headsets first though rather than ordering one at a time. Especially as VR headset comfort and fit tends to be a very personal thing!

Associate
I could order off Amazon (and there may even be Prime Day deals on Monday) - but it somehow doesn't feel quite right to order something simply to try it out... Then again - I may succumb to temptation :D

Soldato
It will be more expensive. A lot more expensive. I would say $699 at least.

Well £700 was the absolute maximum figure I had in mind but it would have to be pretty spectacular and worth every penny. I might wait until the end of July and see if there's any news. If not I can buy the Rift S locally so it should be easy to return it if my IPD yields a blury image. I'm a bit worried about the flashes as well that some people get.

Associate
Anyone else having issues with having to reset their play area constantly. My VR set up is in my office which changes regularly depending on the stuff on my desk so its starting to get very annoying.

Back
Top Bottom