• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Can someone bring me up to speed, are any of the Zen 2 chips consistently hitting their advertised boost speeds? I've seen a couple of examples of chips bumping near the advertised boost speeds. Has anyone achieved any meaningful overclock enabling the elusive and largely fictional boost speed to be hit on a regular consistent basis? We've had new AGESA, bioses etc, have any of these enabled the advertised clockspeeds?

Last edited:
Soldato
Inside, it uses an internal USB header :) I wouldn't normally but that kinda thing. But I decoded to go all out on my new build. I have a corsair keyboard and fans so I figured it'd be ideal to tie them all together. The icue software is pretty decent to be fair also. It's a shame the Gigabyte rgb can't be controlled by it too.
Ah nice :) I've ordered the cooler master masterfan 360mm AIO cooler with 3 more RGB fans so might just fork out for the controller. :)

Permabanned
I'm not sure about that. Every core on my My 3700x can hit 4400 but under PBO then just about touch 4.3 for the briefest of moments. PBO is awful right now and isn't boosting correctly. I would certainly think we will be seeing that improve over the coming months.

The problem everyone seems to be having is the lack of boost hitting the on the box cover.
Well I dont use PBO only interested in constant all ore overclock. I wont gain anything. Locked my cpu on 4350 all core aida stress test maxes ad 74c I'm happy with that :)

Associate
Looks like it's one for the gullible gamers more like...
Smart buy looking like the 3700x, and the 3900x for workstation use.

I'm waiting to see how the 3950x compares to the 3900x - Both are going to be an improvment over my 1700 for games but will the extra 4 cores be worth it for my video rendering.

Associate
Well I dont use PBO only interested in constant all ore overclock. I wont gain anything. Locked my cpu on 4350 all core aida stress test maxes ad 74c I'm happy with that :)

You might not be interested but many others will be, hence saying things will improve because currently PBO is awful. I'm not sure how it runs for you but many people online are getting terrible results with PBO.

Out of interest what cooler are you running. I'm currently on stock but cannot stick more than 4.3 All core overclock @ 1.4v currently due to thermals hit 95 degrees on my 3700x

Associate
Can someone bring me up to speed, are any of the Zen 2 chips consistently hitting their advertised boost speeds? I've seen a couple of examples of chips bumping near the advertised boost speeds and one example of a chip that seems to from all the reviewers. Has anyone achieved any meaningful overclock enabling the elusive and largely fictional boost speed to be hit on a regular consistent basis. We've had new AGESA, bioses etc, have any of these enabled the advertised clockspeeds?

PBO is not hitting the boost max apart from a microsecond for some people. A single core OC will hit it (All my cores on my 3700x can hit the max boost of 4.4 when run in single OC mode).

Associate
Something strange with that chart to tomshardware, review 3800x. Look at far cry 5 benchmark chart. A 9900k stock all core boost 4.7 ghz delivers 134 fps but with 300 mhz more @5.0 ghz it delivers 154 fps. Thats 20 fps more for like 300 mhz loll.

Soldato
Just to clarify, q flash plus is the option where you plug the usb stick with the extracted bios files to the q flash port and press the button on the mobo?

Yes, I'm assuming when you said you had the Gigabyte Ultra in a previous post you were referring to the X570, if so you'll probably want to have a quick read on the Unique Features Introduction (PDF), basically it involves downloading the BIOS file, renaming it to "GIGABYTE.bin", copying it to a FAT32/16 USB drive, sticking it in the white USB port on the back, and then pressing the white QFlash button on the board, then the Qflash button should start flashing for 2-3min while it updates.

Permabanned
You might not be interested but many others will be, hence saying things will improve because currently PBO is awful. I'm not sure how it runs for you but many people online are getting terrible results with PBO.

Out of interest what cooler are you running. I'm currently on stock but cannot stick more than 4.3 All core overclock @ 1.4v currently due to thermals hit 95 degrees on my 3700x
me i dont have cooler i got Phobya nova extreme it can cool down about 1kw of heat

Soldato

My guess is that's because, based on that video i poster earlier, boards are setting the default VCore voltages to high so there's next to no thermal headroom and nearly all the PPT is being taken up with voltage instead of amperage.

Man of Honour
I'm waiting to see how the 3950x compares to the 3900x - Both are going to be an improvment over my 1700 for games but will the extra 4 cores be worth it for my video rendering.
I doubt 3950x will be any better (or possibly worse) than the 3900x. 16 cores = more heat, less boost...and current line-up aren't even boosting that well.

Permabanned
My guess is that's because, based on that video i poster earlier, boards are setting the default VCore voltages to high so there's next to no thermal headroom and nearly all the PPT is being taken up with voltage instead of amperage.
yup i had a play with PBO manual mode generally was hotter and slower than manual oc :)

Permabanned
My broadband consistently hits or exceeds its up to speed pretty much all the time although it does sometimes slow a bit, AMDs boost speeds
are more like a hopeful fantasy. None of the chips seems remotely capable of maintaining their boost speeds in any meaningful or useful way.
It's a speed they hit with one core if you're extremely lucky and not doing anything remotely taxing. And who really gives a **** what input voltage you put through the CPU if there's zero overclocking headroom.

Its flakey, I dont think PBO is much use personally, normal usage or gaming.

These are great CPU's but boost speeds/PBO is misleading.

Associate
PBO is not hitting the boost max apart from a microsecond for some people. A single core OC will hit it (All my cores on my 3700x can hit the max boost of 4.4 when run in single OC mode).
When you say "will hit it" does is stay there long? As in to complete a benchmark for example?

Soldato
yup i had a play with PBO manual mode generally was hotter and slower than manual oc :)

Yea, just been reading some more about it. It seems that although it does reduce temperatures and possibly raises clockspeeds it actually reduces performance in single threaded workloads.

Associate
When you say "will hit it" does is stay there long? As in to complete a benchmark for example?

Yes, they all will bench CB @ 4.4ghz. The best I have managed is 4.5 on a few of the cores to bench. I'm using the stock cooler currently (new one ordered) and it struggles.

I might try setting the LLC to something a bit beefier also at some point.

My best All core is 4.3 for a run on CB before the temp hits 95. At 95 it all shuts down.

Back
Top Bottom