• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Associate
too much messing about. people just want to plug items in and work. hopefully those who have the new amd cpus this happens. reading all that just put me instantly off buying. i dont want to be messing around hoping my pc new items work. i just want to put them together and they do what i paid for.

do whats advertised. most people cant even run the stock clocks being sold. how can that even be right ?

I kind of liek all of this to be honest, its like a big puzzle but as a former Apple user i defiantely aapreciate the plug it in and work scenario. In this instance though it feels liek Zen 2 should have been launched at the end of the year

Associate
Could you do a quick run of Cinebench R15 please?

R15 CPU: 3387cb
  • 4.35Ghz & LLC:Turbo @ 1.34 = stable (not fully tested yet)
Still hitting 80 degrees on load, don't think would run this 24/7.
(3900x, 3667C16, x570 Aorus Ultra)

I'm on a roll, not had a post fail in ages (hours).

Edit:
Still good on LLC:Turbo @ 1.325v
But temps still hit 80 degrees in AIDA stress test with my air cooler. Think LLC:Turbo @ 1.325v is in some ways equivalent to LLC:Auto@ 1.4v+, definitely puts the temps up a lot. Wouldn't recommend using LLC high/turbo on >1.35v.

Last edited:
Associate
I kind of liek all of this to be honest, its like a big puzzle but as a former Apple user i defiantely aapreciate the plug it in and work scenario. In this instance though it feels liek Zen 2 should have been launched at the end of the year

I love the messing around. Fiddling with settings I have no idea what they do or the damage they could make :)

I think it has launched fine. 99.9% of people will never know PBO is a bit rubbish or some cores don't hit max boost. It's a damn fine chip for the money :)

right, going to bed. 3 days till my noktura arrives, then I'll try to bench higher :)

Permabanned
too much messing about. people just want to plug items in and work. hopefully those who have the new amd cpus this happens. reading all that just put me instantly off buying. i dont want to be messing around hoping my pc new items work. i just want to put them together and they do what i paid for.

do whats advertised. most people cant even run the stock clocks being sold. how can that even be right ?
Cut it out, for a lot of people the tweaking and learning about their new is all part of the fun. However I think its best to wait it out for the ryzen refresh next year.

Caporegime
Cut it out, for a lot of people the tweaking and learning about their new is all part of the fun. However I think its best to wait it out for the ryzen refresh next year.

cut it out ? what items not working as advertised. items not working at what they being sold as. im not lying am i ? it looks like great cpus but the problems at the moment are off putting to buyers. thats why you just wrote that wall of text. i get some love playing with new gear nothing wrong with that. i like that too. the difference is there is playing with new gear and having serious issues. which quite a few are having. why even launch new cpus if they are running too hot. they arent running at advertised speeds. motherboards have design floors. there is too much of that going on with these chips.

amd should have got it right and launched later.

" However I think its best to wait it out for the ryzen refresh next year. "

imagine people whos brought them having problems reading that. i do think they are great performing chips but AMD are useless. they release these chips which have great potential but so many issues in every way. they bring out as same time great gpu for the price but same again red hot temps and a fan that sounds like a hair dryer. then people wonder why people pick intel and nvidia. they pick them cause you plug them in they work. no fuss.

Permabanned
cut it out ? what items not working as advertised. items not working at what they being sold as. im not lying am i ? it looks like great cpus but the problems at the moment are off putting to buyers. thats why you just wrote that wall of text. i get some love playing with new gear nothing wrong with that. i like that too. the difference is there is playing with new gear and having serious issues. which quite a few are having. why even launch new cpus if they are running too hot. they arent running at advertised speeds. motherboards have design floors. there is too much of that going on with these chips.

amd should have got it right and launched later.

" However I think its best to wait it out for the ryzen refresh next year. "

imagine people whos brought them having problems reading that. i do think they are great performing chips but AMD are useless. they release these chips which have great potential but so many issues in every way. they bring out as same time great gpu for the price but same again red hot temps and a fan that sounds like a hair dryer. then people wonder why people pick intel and nvidia. they pick them cause you plug them in they work. no fuss.
like with ryzen 1, this is a better test for epyc and threadripper. Its people choice if they want to be beta testers....

however any technical infomation that i think will help, I will post, hence wall of text...

I will be looking to get threadripper 3000, I believe this will be the fastest gaming CPU around. Also because they base it on epyc like with threadripper 1 it will be a near stable platform.

Soldato

Edit:
But temps still hit 80 degrees in AIDA stress test with my air cooler. Think LLC:Turbo @ 1.325v is in some ways equivalent to LLC:Auto@ 1.4v+, definitely puts the temps up a lot. Wouldn't recommend using LLC high/turbo on >1.35v.
Thanks for that and it look promising. What air cooler do you have atm?

Associate
Thanks for that and it look promising. What air cooler do you have atm?

Edit:

Think I've had enough overclocking for one night, going to stick with 4.3Ghz & LLC:High @ 1.325.

Just spent the last half hour thinking i'd killed my 3900x :eek: biggest fear was explaining what I'd done to the wife. Was going for 1 last tweak, think it was 4.36Ghz & LLC:Turbo @ 1.34. Anyhow failed to post so waited for mb to auto reset bios / switch to backup, didn't happen this time. Clear CMS jumper also failed me, eventually sorted with q flash but only on the 3rd attempt.

Now i'm just worried one of my fans has a slightly clicky bearing, got a spare but suspect its a pain to replace. Time for bed.

@MartinPrince : cooler is a phanteks PH-TC14PE in silverstone FT02 case

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone wants to demolish my SotTR Demo Benchmark results?
Just compare CPU-Spiel numbers @ 720p ultra low settings: https://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/prozessoren/470191-sammelthread-amd-ryzen-1849.html#post9938072
Here CB R20 Multi Core Score: https://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/prozessoren/470191-sammelthread-amd-ryzen-1849.html#post9938053

I only bought a lil 3600 just 4 the kicks, but i guess many will struggle to hit the SotTR numbers of the 3600.
Most important numbers there are min FPS and 95%.

Greetings from Germany

Soldato
Been trying to test lots of different settings to try draw some conclusions. Copy of Document here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tF7g53TCIQbBTMRBESNv8hWTtv2SZ46SMoo0gfQtF5I/edit#gid=0

What have I learnt thus far?

• The worst single core frequencies under CB R20 load are with Mem at 3600 / PBO with a +Mhz offset / PBO Limits set to motherboard (Uncapped Limits effectively) The all core frequencies are inline with what you might expect however and the multi core scores seem about right.
  • There seems to be some correlation between 3600 memory speeds and reduced single core frequency boosting in some circumstances. The results table below is the comparison values of 3533 vs 3600. Of the 7 tests the 3600 is slower in all but 2. In all cases where 3600 ends up being faster in single core boost the PBO Limit is set to Automatic where no increase in default PPT/TDC/EDC limits are seen....which is odd in itself.
Code:

• The highest CB R20 Multi-Core CPU score was 7320. With an observed single core max freq. of 4500Mhz. This is effectively the CPU in it's default state with no PBO/XFR of any description.
    • VCORE Set to Normal with a -0.10 Volt Offset
    • XFR PBO - Auto
    • XFR Scalar - Auto
    • AMD O/C PBO - Auto (Disabled effectively, no +Mhz offset, No increased Limits, Nothing)
    • Infinity Fabric 1:1
    • Memory - 3533Mhz
  • Setting the VCORE in the Bios to Normal with a -0.10 offset resulted in Higher Load VCORE Voltages. It also resulted in Idle voltages staying high.
  • Setting the VCORE in the Bios to Auto resulted in Lower Load VCORE Voltages and seemingly a much better Idle CPU clock and idle voltages

All in all whilst there appear to be some correlations it's a bit all over the place.

Soldato

What are you even talking about? What person who just wants to "plug items in" and have it work is going to be monitoring voltages and clock speeds?

Regarding boost clocks, mine seems to work exactly as advertised out of the box: 4.4 GHz on single threaded workloads, and it sits at 4.375 GHz on all cores sometimes (although not for long as temps increase). This is with relatively slow RAM though...maybe faster RAM/IF is reducing boost behaviour for some reason?

Associate
Do the CPUs come with software now? What does it do? Can't I get set stuff in the bios and leave it at that?

Ryzen does it is called Ryzen Master but you don't necessarily have to use it. You can still use the BIOS. Some use RM to play with settings and if they work, then they transfer the settings to BIOS. At least that's how it was with previous gens. Not sure about the current one since i have not received mine.

Soldato
Do the CPUs come with software now? What does it do? Can't I get set stuff in the bios and leave it at that?
You absolutely don't need any extra software. This has always been the case, even all the software advertised on motherboard manufacturers' websites have never been necessary.

Ryzen Master does allow you to see at-a-glance stats if you like tweaking though. It also lets you change voltages and clocks but this requires a reboot so it's not much easier than doing it in the BIOS.

Associate
You absolutely don't need any extra software. This has always been the case, even all the software advertised on motherboard manufacturers' websites have never been necessary.

Ryzen Master does allow you to see at-a-glance stats if you like tweaking though. It also lets you change voltages and clocks but this requires a reboot so it's not much easier than doing it in the BIOS.

You don't need to reboot for clocks and volts on the cpu.

Back
Top Bottom