Pigeon Scarers

Associate
Hi all

I have a problem with pigeons coming into the garden and crapping all over the lawn, my cat is not doing much to help scare them off either.

Does anyone have any good experiences with any of the scarers you can buy apart from a air rifle which would be my ideal choice but not my wifes/neighbours.

I've hung up some CD's but am not confident they'll do much.

Reviews on amz for the various things you can buy are a mixed bag.

cheers.

Soldato
I feel your pain, my neighbors on both sides feed the birds but most of that feed is eaten by these flying rodents and they just fly one garden to the other crapping all over ours in the process. :(

Soldato
I have flat roofs they land on them and used to walk across them so annoying. When there is no food they don't seem to turn up. I don't know if there is a lot you can do to get rid of them to be honest.

Soldato
I have a problem with pigeons coming into the garden and crapping all over the lawn, my cat is not doing much to help scare them off either.
I've been sowing grass seed so keeping them off that has been a high priority. I went with a DIY tinfoil solution. Basically trim some bits of tinfoil, skewer them low down but so they can blow with the breeze a bit. Birds hate it, the reflectivity, the movement, the noise. Haven't seen a pigeon on my lawn since.

Obviously, it doesn't look great and is only really a temporary solution.

Caporegime
you want to get some bird feed - feed them for a few weeks so they get used to coming to your garden.

then add poison into the bird feed.

only permanent solution that 100% works. it's not technically legal but i'd like to see anyone prove it.

Soldato
you want to get some bird feed - feed them for a few weeks so they get used to coming to your garden.

only permanent solution that 100% works. it's not technically legal but i'd like to see anyone prove it.
Only problem with that is you will kill the other birds.
I don't think poisoning by this way or antifreeze is a good way to do it.

Caporegime
Only problem with that is you will kill the other birds.
I don't think poisoning by this way or antifreeze is a good way to do it.

there is no other solution apart from an air rifle but he will need to give up his job and be in camo peering out the bedroom window everyday for that to work.

the only way to get birds to stay away is to stop them coming in your area for an entire generation.

ask anyone who has had bird poo on their car for instance. it will always happen and nothing you can do.

Associate
OP
Yeah it's only in the last 2 weeks they've appeared, bet some other person has been feeding them nearby, there's only 3 of them but they can crap loads. Guess I'm gonna have to have a word with the cat - he's quite good at mouse/sparrow killing, then again don't fancy a half dead pigeon flapping around the house if he brings one in.

If I had a air rifle I could have had one this morning, I informed the cat but he was busy eating breakfast and would not be hurried. I've found some cat armour which looks retarded great so maybe I'll send him out in that.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/587429736/

Soldato
stop treating you cat so well, no pampering, miss feeds etc.
he/she will soon realise that that they need to bring you a trophy to impress you again to get better treatment.
hopefully said trophies will be in the form of pigeons ;)

Soldato

Even farmers out in the middle of nowhere get done for poisoning/shooting wild birds, if you look closely some of them are tagged and the RSPCB keeps track of them. The poison won't only stay in the bird, but anything nearby which eats it.

Caporegime
Even farmers out in the middle of nowhere get done for poisoning/shooting wild birds.

that is because nobody else is around who could be feeding them.

i'd like to see them prove it's him. when others are also feeding the birds.

impossible to prove unless he does something stupid like mix the poison in front of his neighbour.

Soldato
that is because nobody else is around who could be feeding them.

i'd like to see them prove it's him. when others are also feeding the birds.

impossible to prove unless he does something stupid like mix the poison in front of his neighbour.

Wouldn't be hard if the police follow it up and start searching nearby gardens, there will be traces of it on the ground. People do get caught for this, also for poisoning cats. If something is poisonous to wildlife it's poisonous to people as well. So they won't just ignore the source of it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Wouldn't be hard if the police follow it up and start searching nearby gardens, there will be traces of it on the ground. People do get caught for this, also for poisoning cats. If something is poisonous to wildlife it's poisonous to people as well. So they won't just ignore the source of it.

Lol this isn't ncis.

The police are going to be taking traces of soil from people's gardens over some dead pigeons.

Also its amazing what rain or a hose can do.

Soldato
I agree with what others have said about not feeding your cat for a week or two. It's natural instincts will soon kick in when it's hungry enough and it's bowl is empty.

Soldato

Do us a favour and slip some poison into your own feed.

Back
Top Bottom