Road Tripping in the USA!

Soldato
To echo the temperature comments, it's currently 45-48 almost touching 50 in DV in certain places at the moment and will continue like that into August, temperatures like this are common in and around the desert areas of the SW at this time of the year, and if you've not experienced heat like that - it's pretty miserable after a while. Honestly, if I was planning a trip - I'd try and move it to the later part of September or October, because it'll simply be more pleasant.

Another decent location around Vegas is 'Valley of fire state park' some amazing rocks formations and hikes

Associate
Bit confused with car rental in Canada. Dollar hire through Holiday Autos ( comes out cheaper than booking direct) and the below is included

There was no option to add any additional insurances on but assuming there is some sort of full excess waiver option available for damage to the actual rental? Two weeks coming in at around £460.

Included for free?
ZCgTrXu9c095_fRwVPFiUOPFQLbmGq7Ddr-okuPOoOX0MFucZ9d79sCs-j5Hs5JiBJBPDQ1dAxSm0J4dmznHAlSAuOYLkqiQaT9KPZNUAaxGEhNP2gcE2w5sng5INJ4T1GYNuuOkOMvoI2te6tllSpi0-_Me58ANMs4=s0-d-e1-ft
Breakdown assistance
ZCgTrXu9c095_fRwVPFiUOPFQLbmGq7Ddr-okuPOoOX0MFucZ9d79sCs-j5Hs5JiBJBPDQ1dAxSm0J4dmznHAlSAuOYLkqiQaT9KPZNUAaxGEhNP2gcE2w5sng5INJ4T1GYNuuOkOMvoI2te6tllSpi0-_Me58ANMs4=s0-d-e1-ft
Airport fee
Tax
Unlimited mileage
Collision damage waiver (CDW)
Theft waiver (TW)
Third party liability protection (TP)

Man of Honour
OP
Typically rental in Canada is more like it is elsewhere in the world - CDW is included but with an excess, rather than zero excess as with US rentals booked in the UK.

So, just buy excess insurance from a third party.

Soldato
OK first stab at the plan.

Location Nights
Los Angeles 0
San Diego 2 (Wed, Thur)
Palm Springs 2
Las Vegas 2 (Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon Helicopter) (Sun,Mon)
Mt Carmel Junction 1 (Use as base for Zion, Bryce, Horseshoe, Antelope) . <-- Too many things and not enough time, so will consider more.
Death Valley 1 (two minds about this, going to be too hot, but the Mrs loves stars and apparently it's awesome for that.)
Mammoth Lakes 1 (I put this in as mentioned a fair bit in this thread, need to investigate)
Yosemite 3 (Just outside)
San Francisco 2
Morro Bay 1
Los Angeles 2 (Universal) (Friday)

I think you're fitting too much in. We went for 21 nights on our first trip and did the same route but missed out Palm Springs (went straight from SD to LV) and didn't go to Mt Carmel Junction / Zion / Bryce etc.....

LA -> SD -> LV -> DV -> Yosemite -> SF -> PCH -> LA is the ideal route for 2.5-3 weeks imo. Palm Springs is good but it's 2 nights you don't really have and Zion / Bryce / Horseshoe etc... is like an extra week if you actually wanted to do anything other than drive past it all at 70mph.

Associate
Has Anyone done a deep south road trip, Atlanta,new Orleans, Memphis, Tennessee etc?
was starting to formulate a trip for next September/
October

Also what have people who have been on these trips budgeted not necessarily deep south but a general road trip in the USA

Soldato
Has Anyone done a deep south road trip, Atlanta,new Orleans, Memphis, Tennessee etc?
October

Also what have people who have been on these trips budgeted not necessarily deep south but a general road trip in the USA

I’ve done the full length of the south coast, and Nashville / Memphis etc on a different trip. If you’re ok with the distances involved then it’s good fun, but whilst there’s quite a lot to see in most of those places (New Orleans in particular is fantastic), that’s a serious amount of driving for one holiday.

Budgeting wise it depends how you want to do it: we tend to stay in cheap hotels for $50-100 per night and splash out a bit more on restaurants / bars, others prefer to stay in fancier places. Petrol costs vary by state but generally $3-3.50 per gallon for premium. Others on here will probably be able to give you a better idea in terms of flights, car rental etc.

Soldato
October

Yes, myself, went out for the GP 2017 and went from there.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32019251

Soldato
October

Our first trip we did was:

Houston
Dallas
Memphis
Nashville
(detour into Kentucky for Corvette plant)
Lynchburg
New Orleans
Houston

Despite the other trips we've done this is still perhaps the most memorable. Loads to see and do. :)

There's some more detail buried deep in this thread, but it's hard to find now.

Hi all, remember getting solid advice last time so here I am again.
Going back to Florida in late October, 17 day car rental required. Last time I ended up in an Infiniti Q50 which was fine and remember the deal I got covered me for everything insurance wise. Would want something in the luxury bracket, would ideally like a Mustang but with 2 kids and wife would probably be impracticle, so whats the go to rental I need to look out for? I think Cadillacs were a decent option when I was looking last time? IIRC I went with sixty or something but cant quite remember?
Any help much appreciated.

Soldato
Hi all, remember getting solid advice last time so here I am again.
Going back to Florida in late October, 17 day car rental required. Last time I ended up in an Infiniti Q50 which was fine and remember the deal I got covered me for everything insurance wise. Would want something in the luxury bracket, would ideally like a Mustang but with 2 kids and wife would probably be impracticle, so whats the go to rental I need to look out for? I think Cadillacs were a decent option when I was looking last time? IIRC I went with sixty or something but cant quite remember?
Any help much appreciated.

Mustang back seats are all but useless, might get two small children in them but don't expect leg room.

Could get 2 60l duffel bags plus two 20litre backpacks in. Non flexible cases are a bad idea.

Tbh a mustang oo small for with kids unless you're quite short, the back is absolutely tiny. My seat was reversed so far back it was adjacent the rear seats and I'm only 6 foot

Yeah, Mustang not happening unfortunately, sad but just too impractical, wife will probably moan throughout the holiday :D. Luxury barge is what I need, seeing some Mercedes so might go for one of those maybe unless I get any better ideas.

Associate
Hi all

Considering a road trip around the states in Sept/Oct and this thread seems to be the best place to ask!

Its for me and my wife. We have already done New York and Vegas so not interested in either of those. And with a limited budget of 3k id appreciate what options are realisic and recommened.

Soldato
£3k is going to be very restrictive as you may end up spending nearly 1/3rd of that on flights. Realistically your best bet will be searching for cheap Norwegian Air flights (they fly to about 7 or 8 places in the US now) and then building a 7-10 night trip around that.

£600 for flights, £400 for car hire and £1000 for hotels would leave you with about £100 a day to eat, shop, travel, explore and visit places which is do-able.

I suspect Florida will be the cheapest flights but don't rule out LA coming close - 7-10 nights in and out of LA could be really fun. 3 nights in San Diego, 3 nights in Palm Springs and then a few nights in LA / Santa Barbara.

Soldato
October

Kinda did that trip. I’ve been to all those places on one trip, just in a different order. I live between Nashville and Memphis now too.

I’d probably do Atlanta, Nashville, Chattanooga, Smokies, Asheville and maybe over to Nashville in one trip and then do New Orleans n all around there on another. There’s so much to see around the GA/TN/NC/SC area that it’d be crazy to spend a bunch of time driving to New Orleans. Maybe even look at getting up to Kentucky n do the bourbon trail too.

Definitely look into spending a few days in a cabin in the Smokies if you’re out that way.

Back
Top Bottom