Being asked to confirm your neighbour’s name

Soldato
Morning.

I have strong suspicions but would be interested to get some more opinions on this.

A casually dressed person with a tablet in their hand and no ID asked me to confirm if my (my neighbour’s name) lived next door.

I asked them if they had a delivery. They said no. I asked what it was about. They said they couldn’t tell me. I told them that I therefore couldn’t tell them who did or didn’t live next door.

The person and driver drove off in a scirocco after sitting outside next door for a few minutes after our exchange.

Not impressed by this on both sides for obvious reasons.

What do you think could have been going on?

Thanks.

I mean is it even legal for them to do this?

And what you did was correct, none of your business and if said person isn't delivering anything not your problem.

Permabanned
We had a somewhat dubious neighbour a few years back and had lots of people calling here asking about them, and their whereabouts. In the end a local plant hire company sent two gorillas round and I just KNEW what was going to occur. as they'd already said he owed a lot of money. The neighbour was a bit of a scrapper, so put up a bit of a show, but ended up going for a ride to the bank in their pick up truck. It was quite surreal watching two unmarked heavies having a fag break whilst he swabbed his wounds. There are a few plant hire places round here, and with not one of them would I consider it a good idea to bounce a cheque, then refuse to do anything about it... Not saying your neighbour has wound someone up, the gentlemen may be long lost relatives ;)

I usually find those unwilling to ID themselves are Jehova's Witnesses, wanting to sign you up to their faith, but the ill fitting suits and clutched briefcases usually see me on my guard, well before they reach the front door.

Soldato
TV license or debt collection. TV licence is likely because it's 100x harder for them to do anything without a name - they can't take an address to court.

Soldato
TV license or debt collection. TV licence is likely because it's 100x harder for them to do anything without a name - they can't take an address to court.

Yeah I was thinking this initially too.

Probably TV license lot fishing for a name. Either way it's up to your neighbour to confirm/deny it.

Commissario
A casually dressed person with a tablet in their hand and no ID asked me to confirm if my (my neighbour’s name) lived next door.

I asked them if they had a delivery. They said no. I asked what it was about. They said they couldn’t tell me. I told them that I therefore couldn’t tell them who did or didn’t live next door.
I wouldn't even have gone that far with the conversation, my reply would have been a simple, but polite "No, I'm sorry I don't know their names", then closed the door and got on with my life. Exactly as happened a few years ago when someone knocked on my door and asked that same question.

Soldato
I wouldn't even have gone that far with the conversation, my reply would have been a simple, but polite "No, I'm sorry I don't know their names", then closed the door and got on with my life. Exactly as happened a few years ago when someone knocked on my door and asked that same question.

Exactly the same.

Even if I hated them - who knows what he puts on the form and what happens if the guy goes to court? "Received defendants name from gentleman next door at number 12" - there you go! Years of poo through the letterbox for just not minding you own :)

Man of Honour
Depending on which you’re most comfortable with, go
for “Ich verstehe nicht”, or “Je ne comprends pas.”
Unless they’re rabid Leavers, looking for someone to lynch.

Man of Honour
I've lived in this house since 1983 and my next door neighbour is called John and the one the other side is called Phyllis.
I only found out a month ago that Phyllis's real name is Philomena, I have no idea of their surnames.
Bloke over the road is called Dave and he also moved in at the same time as me. no idea of his surname.
I bet my Mrs can name the whole street though.

Soldato
if i was friends with the neighbour is say I don't know and then warn them someone if looking for them, if we were not friends I'll give over the informant..

Seeing all the talk of TV licensing is not give any info out I hate those people.. In fact I'd say I suspect you are TV licensing so go away

Soldato
OP

Thanks for telling me what you would have done.

Back
Top Bottom