• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Associate
Just thought id give my personal experience on an upgrade from first gen to third gen Ryzen CPU

Firstly my PC specs are:
Motherboard: Asus Prime x370
Memory: 2 x 8gb TeamGroup Vulcan 3000Mhz
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x
GPY: EVGA 2080 Black Edition

I swapped my CPU out then booted the PC for the motherboard to notice the new CPU,
Took the previous overclock settings off the motherboard for CPU but left my memory running at 2993mhz,
Booted into windows fine and and tested Cinebench etc, All worked as expected,
I then went back to the bios and set my memory to 3200mhz something which was impossible on the Ryzen 1700 to my surprise this worked fine too.
I hadn't time to push the ram up further but will try that tonight when i'm at home.

Soldato
Well, this morning started off so well, and now it's gone to poo.

Asus Strix B450-F with newest BIOS installed, set to defaults, swapped from an R5 2600 to the R9 3900X and blam 3900X = dead. :(

Tried the 3900X back in the ASRock B450, and MSI B450, no boot, nothing, as dead as flared trousers were back in the 80's.

Can only assume the board has somehow killed it, awaiting RMA from AMD as we speak... that has really scuppered my plans, back to R5 3600/RAM testing for a while I guess.

Associate
Not sure if i got a golden chip but,
123.png

Soldato

Pretty much explains everything you need to know about PB, PBO and Auto OC.

Precision Boost (PB) is part of the stock chip configuration and is responsible for all boost clocks as is.
Precision Boost Overdrive is new and does nothing.
Auto OC (+50-200Mhz offset) does nothing.

Last edited:
Associate
In German Forums we discovered, that when you deinstall Ryzen Master and the Chipsetdriver and after the reboot only install the Chipsetdriver (NO Amd Ryzen Master), your scores will get a lil bit higher and boostclocks too.
I hope you guys used fresh installed windows, because that will make a difference too (for me personally +10% with freshly installed windows, i had a Ryzen+ CPU before).

Associate

Pretty much explains everything you need to know about PB, PBO and Auto OC.

Precision Boost (PB) is part of the stock chip configuration and is responsible for all over the boost clocks as is.
Precision Boost Overdrive is new and does nothing.
Auto OC (+50-200Mhz offset) does nothing.

last 2 statement incorrect :
PBO does increases limits of 3 (PPT,TDC,EDC) settings that are responsible for power delivery.
all
2jQQ4gE.png

It doesn't overclocks cpu itself, just rises the limits allowing oc to happen.

here it is at work with xfr. Pbo enabled +75 MHz, xfr auto.
Gm6On23.png

Soldato
last 2 statement incorrect :
PBO does increases limits of 3 (PPT,TDC,EDC) settings that are responsible for power delivery.
2jQQ4gE.png

Correct, the limits are increased...but the CPU will never actually draw into those increased limits.

The stock AMD PPT is 142W. With a 12 Core Cinebench R20 run 100% of the 142w is consumed.

With the limits increased to 284W the same 12 Core Cinebench R20 run will consume 50% of the limit. Guess what 50% of 284w is? Yup...142W.

With my PPT set to 1200W guess what the usage is....12% (144w)

Associate
Correct, the limits are increased...but the CPU will never actually draw into those increased limits.

The stock AMD PPT is 142W. With a 12 Core Cinebench R20 run 100% of the 142w is consumed.

With the limits increased to 284W the same 12 Core Cinebench R20 run will consume 50% of the limit. Guess what 50% of 284w is? Yup...142W.

With my PPT set to 1200W guess what the usage is....12% (144w)
Ok fair enough, will try to replicate my second screen with pbo off, just fxr; should be possible if it has no effect.

Soldato
In Cinebench R20, my EDC hits 100%. TDC has loads of headroom and PPT is like 90%. So theoretically, bumping EDC a bit with PBO should improve performance a tad. Temps go up more than a tad though so really not worth it for me. If you're under a custom water loop then by all means go for it.

Associate
I dont know if its normal but my 3800X does not want to downclock, it stays running as fast as it can. Without touching anything its also hitting the 4.5Ghz that is advertised.

Soldato
What windows power profile are people using, on Ryzen or windows balanced my volts never drop below 1.33v, power saver drops below 1v.
Ryzen Balanced is the optimised one. The reason the volts never appear to drop is that these new power plans put the cores to sleep states really quickly (AMD mentioned this in a slide at Computex IIRC), so you never see the volts drop before they go idle. CPU-Z supposedly shows idle voltage correctly and for me it goes down to 0.925 V or something with Ryzen Balanced. Ryzen Master and HWInfo never show below 1.4 V.

Soldato
what Thermal paste are people using?

Im getting idles of 42-55c (1.3v) using H100i and kryonaut, but ive seen a few reports on reddit of people saying they having poor results with kryonaut on Ryzen 3000,

Im wonderig if its worth trying something else? I applied it in a X application, i may just try an even thin layer spread out.

Back
Top Bottom