• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Associate
Correct, the limits are increased...but the CPU will never actually draw into those increased limits.

The stock AMD PPT is 142W. With a 12 Core Cinebench R20 run 100% of the 142w is consumed.

With the limits increased to 284W the same 12 Core Cinebench R20 run will consume 50% of the limit. Guess what 50% of 284w is? Yup...142W.

With my PPT set to 1200W guess what the usage is....12% (144w)
1f9qEoP.png
So disabled pbo (in the first column, under pbo settings). Only left enabled with manual x10 in xfr settings ( which bizarrely called pbo too :D ), left it on auto in 3rd column and it doesn't want to go higher than stock now. Yeap, nothing confusing about that: you got pbo setting in 3 different places in the bios, all of them called pbo. Those amd engineers are proper nerds :p it must clear as day for them, only confusing to us :o .

Associate
What are your temps?

I'm using a custom loop with 240x60mm and a 280x80mm (monsta!) radiator (albeit in need of a flush and good clean), MX4 paste spread over the whole chip and am seeing spikes to 55 or more degrees just refreshing a web browser! Mind you it doesn't seem to go much higher under a heavy load (around 63 during a CB r20 run).

I think the reason for the high temps on low load tasks is that it's shoving around 1.47-1.48v through it (despite anything I do to try to control this, it seems to only affect load voltages) - Not sure if that's just because I'm on an x370 BIOS.

Rob Hallock (from AMD) has been quite active on reddit and saying not to worry, that's the expected and designed behaviour (due to aggressive boosting)

Associate
If it ain't 1903 you are not getting the best out of zen 2.

This is the issue I'm currently facing, Windows won't update to 1903, it tried once then did the 'undoing changes made to your computer', since then every time I try it just reboots and lands back on 1803/1806 or whatever I'm on (can't check now, at work!)

Associate
Been trying to test lots of different settings to try draw some conclusions. Copy of Document here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tF7g53TCIQbBTMRBESNv8hWTtv2SZ46SMoo0gfQtF5I/edit#gid=0

What have I learnt thus far?

• The worst single core frequencies under CB R20 load are with Mem at 3600 / PBO with a +Mhz offset / PBO Limits set to motherboard (Uncapped Limits effectively) The all core frequencies are inline with what you might expect however and the multi core scores seem about right.
  • There seems to be some correlation between 3600 memory speeds and reduced single core frequency boosting in some circumstances. The results table below is the comparison values of 3533 vs 3600. Of the 7 tests the 3600 is slower in all but 2. In all cases where 3600 ends up being faster in single core boost the PBO Limit is set to Automatic where no increase in default PPT/TDC/EDC limits are seen....which is odd in itself.
Code:

• The highest CB R20 Multi-Core CPU score was 7320. With an observed single core max freq. of 4500Mhz. This is effectively the CPU in it's default state with no PBO/XFR of any description.
    • VCORE Set to Normal with a -0.10 Volt Offset
    • XFR PBO - Auto
    • XFR Scalar - Auto
    • AMD O/C PBO - Auto (Disabled effectively, no +Mhz offset, No increased Limits, Nothing)
    • Infinity Fabric 1:1
    • Memory - 3533Mhz
  • Setting the VCORE in the Bios to Normal with a -0.10 offset resulted in Higher Load VCORE Voltages. It also resulted in Idle voltages staying high.
  • Setting the VCORE in the Bios to Auto resulted in Lower Load VCORE Voltages and seemingly a much better Idle CPU clock and idle voltages

All in all whilst there appear to be some correlations it's a bit all over the place.
Nice, this post should be the answer to any one asking: "Just installed Ryzen 3000, what should I do?"

Associate
Soldato
Well, this is the best I have achieved so far without going deeper into memory Timings and Sub Timings. Despite feeding volts the current Ryzen RAM Calculators are not entirely appropriate for Zen 2 and x570 as far as I can see. I have some pretty loose timings and the HWInfo DRAM Voltage of 1.464 is actually ~1.42 on the multi-meter.

These settings see acceptable load CPU Voltages and the systems properly idles with the Ryzen Balanced power plan.

The CPU Vcore offset of -0.10v is the sweet spot for me. -0.50, -0.75, -1.25 and -1.50 all lose performance for me.

CB R20
  • Multi CPU Score of 7416
    • All Core Freq. of 4125Mhz peak
    • 1.43v CPU Vcore in Ryzen Master
    • 1.34v CPU Vcore in CPU-Z
    • 1.35 CPU Vcore in HWINFO
  • Single CPU Score of 506
    • Single Core Freq. of 4353Mhz peak
    • 1.35v CPU Vcore in Ryzen Master
    • 1.33v CPU Vcore in CPU-Z
    • 1.33 CPU Vcore in HWINFO
CBR20_7416-506.png

CPU/Motherboard
Auros X570 Master, f5g
3900X Stock 38x100Mhz
CPU Vcore Normal with -0.10v offset
Vcore SOC 1.125v (Manual)
CPU LLC High
PWM Phase Control eXm Perf

Core Performance Boost (PB) Auto

(XFR Enhancement Menus)
PBO Manual
PPT Limit 300
TDC Limit 300
EDC Limit 300
PBO Scalar Manual 10x
FCLK Frequency 1767Mhz
UCLK DIV1 Mode Auto
VDDP Voltage Control Manual, 1000
VDDG Voltage Control Manual, 1050
SoC/Uncore OC Mode Disabled
LN2 Mode Disabled

(AMD O/C Menus)
PBO Advanced
PBO Limits Manual
PPT Limit 300
TDC Limit 300
EDC Limit 300
PBO Scalar Manual, 10x
SoC/Uncore OC Mode Disabled
Max CPU Boos Clock Override 200MHz
Platform Thermal Throttle Limit Manual, 255

Memory
3533CL16-16-16-16-39-55@1T 1.43v (Manual) in BIOS making for ~1.42v on Digital Multi Meter.

project_zen2_bios-1.jpg

project_zen2_bios-2.jpg

project_zen2_bios-3.jpg

project_zen2_bios-4.jpg

project_zen2_bios-5.jpg

project_zen2_bios-6.jpg

project_zen2_bios-7.jpg

project_zen2_bios-8.jpg

project_zen2_bios-9.jpg

project_zen2_bios-10.jpg

project_zen2_bios-11.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
spread like with a credit card? I once used a credit card type object and the paste ruined it (so don't use an actual credit card).

The tube came in a small plastic blister pack thing. One of the ends was nice and straight/smooth so I used that and binned it afterwards. :p

But yes, something resembling a small credit card or spatula is best. Make sure it's clean!

TrM

TrM

Associate
spread like with a credit card? I once used a credit card type object and the paste ruined it (so don't use an actual credit card).
i use a natwest creditcard with a sanwich bag over it hehe:) i like to use a credit debit card just the right size but allways use protection:)

Back
Top Bottom