China's persecution of ethnic minorities - why no outrage?

Caporegime
ITV aired a documentary on China's persecution of Uighur Muslims last night, did anyone watch it?

In summary, China have turned a region of their country which has about 50% Uighur Muslim population into a huge open air prison camp/massive digital surveillance state with dozens of cameras on every street, facial recognition to track everyone, police stations on every street corner and barcodes on the doors of Uigur Muslims so that the police can scan the barcode and know everything about them from some 'security database'. Uighur's are disappearing off the streets into "re-education" camps where it has been said the 'students' have to recite love of the Chinese Communist government instead of their god several thousand times every morning. The documentary at one point described it as the worst persecution of an ethnic minority since WW2.

Xi Jinping has made himself president of China for life so he's more or less a dictator at this point, something that the rabid left keep accusing Trump of without evidence. Oh and countries such as the UK think it's a good idea to allow China to build their 5G network infrastructure for them, which is what is what has enabled the Chinese government to surveill and persecute Uighur Muslims so heavily.

When Xi came to the UK on a state visit all of the people who protested Trump were nowhere to be seen, why? is it because he's a Communist and gets held to lower standards? or just that those who protested Trump think Communism is a good thing and that Capitalism is bad and thus by extension Trump is evil and Xi is some kind of saint? why is there no outrage about it when people are losing their heads over Trump for much less?

Last edited:
Soldato
When Xi came to the UK on a state visit all of the people who protested Trump were nowhere to be seen, why? is it because he's a Communist and gets held to lower standards? or just that those who protested Trump think Communism is a good thing and that Capitalism is bad and thus by extension Trump is evil and Xi is some kind of saint? why is there no outrage about it when you consider people lose their heads over Trump for much less?

Because the left has been infested by morons?

I'm not even a Trump fan but the memes are right.... ORANGE MAN BAD!!!!

Caporegime
I've already posted about this on here - it's a curious one!

It's probably because, as creative says, the left contains a significant number of absolute morons who couldn't dare complain cos then they'd be complaining about another country's behaviour and so would be racist.

Commissario
There have been protests, and it's been covered repeatedly and in some depth on the BBC (IIRC they started talking about it around a year or more ago) and other outlets

The thing is, there isn't much you can do in regards to China treating it's people badly, as they're not a democracy and basically control most of the news that comes out, whilst America is meant to be a democracy and something to look up at.

One interesting thing to note, is that the same people that complain about the left not protesting about it, include people who also say that we should be doing the same here and the Americans the same sort of thing...

Caporegime
There were some protests against Xi, no where near the scale of the Trump ones though

LIMuZIh.jpg

There is also an element of this:

I'm not even a Trump fan but the memes are right.... ORANGE MAN BAD!!!!

I guess maybe the US is expected to be better than China, like China is known to be rather **** and so we have lower expectations for them. I mean they massacred plenty of Tibetans over the years - sticking the Uighurs in camps is relatively mild in comparison.

Having said that there have no doubt been plenty of killings/atrocities within Xinjiang province too.

There are big chunks of China that arguably shouldn't even be part of China yet the UN special committee on decolonisation is focused on stupid **** like Gibraltar, the Falkland Islands etc.. where the residents are free to vote for independence if they want to.

Soldato
Also China is now the worlds factory so if we **** them off then we lose all the cheap crap that us western consumerists love.

Agreed though the response from media is not commensurate. Man says some nasty things, headlines for days, radios talk about it for ages, actual dictator in communist police state doing re-education camps and mass violations of human rights, eh - you get a documentary and occasionally it makes the news.

Seems like we hate people more who talk the talk than those who walk the walk.

Soldato
China tries to keep it's evil quiet, Trumps clowning around is on twitter and 24hr news so has become an easy target that requires no work to sell.

Also if you highlight real injustices people get a balanced perspective and that would undermine the outrage circus that Western media now peddle to get clicks and reactions.

"Remember viewers this is bad, but Trump is the real evil of the world and should be our focus"

Soldato
The global economy has made us all slaves to hypocrisy. I'm going to stop using my Chinese made laptop, turn off my Chinese made TV and radios, throw away my Chinese made phone, and then I'll no longer be able to find out how terrible China is. Phew, what a relief that will be!

'Scuse me, I'm off to skin a dog and empty a lorry load of plastic into the nearest river. Well, not me personally, but the people I've been giving my money to for the last thirty years or so.

Associate
It's far enough away that people can comfortably not think about it, plus it's not exactly in the interests of a lot of companies/governments to highlight issues with China when they supply so much to the world nowadays.

Associate
It's because it's hard to protest against China. And those that do have my full support.

You can safely repost a Trump or Farage tweet and chat **** about them. A few dozen people will give you a digital reach around, all congratulating each other on how intelligent you are and you feel good about yourself for a few minutes despite doing nothing of value.

Campaign on China human rights abuses, mass genocide or child soldiers in Africa, mass deforestation in Brazil, women's rights in Saudi or mass rape in India and no one cares.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Not sure why some are blaming the 'left', as if it's easy or simple as that. Same with Trump, very irrelevant when focusing on just China.

Unsurprisingly, a quick Google shows that certain groups of people believe that China is right in doing this otherwise the threat of 'Islamic terrorism' will be a big issue for them, coz y'all know Muslims gonna blow stuff up eventually (!).

Reality though is that China has no qualms in suppressing any form of dissent, regardless of source. Toe the party line and you'll be mostly fine.

Unless there's a fundamental change within Chinese society that leads to a democratic state then there isn't much others can or will do. No one is going to launch operation freedom mk 2 against China.

Soldato
Is this thread about how we should be outraged at China or how we should be outraged at 'the left' for not being constantly outraged at China?

I think people generally hold different countries to different standards, so you get less of a reaction when countries like Russia/China do stuff.

The US probably gets held to the same standard as the UK in many things due to sharing some similar cultures and attitudes.

Soldato
It was an interesting documentary and well worth a watch, the way families have han Chinese "adopted family members" come round and spy on them was very sinister.

Plus all these tech companies are using the region to perfect the technology, it will soon be installed in other regions where non han Chinese citizens need re-education for a harmonious and stable society :eek:

They are looking to export it as well, Huawei is one of the companies involved so will work nicely with our new 5g masts if things turn here :p

Back
Top Bottom