OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
We were pretty lucky with both of ours (1 boy, 1 girl): potty training went pretty smoothly for both. I do, though, recall being at a beer festival with our son when he massively crapped his pants. Cleaning that up in a portable toilet was not much fun :D

Both of them went straight to no nappies at nighttime, within weeks, too. Occasional accidents, but nothing too frequent, from age 3! It was odd, honestly - can't claim any credit, they were just predisposed to it I think. My eldest, at 9, has one or two friends who still have bedtime nappy-pants, which seems insane, even accounting for the fact I remember very occassionally wetting the bed at that age.

Associate
My eldest, at 9, has one or two friends who still have bedtime nappy-pants, which seems insane, even accounting for the fact I remember very occasionally wetting the bed at that age.

A friend of mine told me that some of his sons friends who are around a similar age were the same and still wearing nappies to bed and it seemed it was more than one of them. I was shocked, our eldest went a few weeks after potty training with a night time nappy then we knocked it on the head, and we thought we were quite late with him at 3 and a half ish! 9 just seems like laziness unless the kid has some waterworks issues.

Soldato
A friend of mine told me that some of his sons friends who are around a similar age were the same and still wearing nappies to bed and it seemed it was more than one of them. I was shocked, our eldest went a few weeks after potty training with a night time nappy then we knocked it on the head, and we thought we were quite late with him at 3 and a half ish! 9 just seems like laziness unless the kid has some waterworks issues.
Quite a few of his friends were still doing it at 7. It might only be one now. I'm certain in some cases the parents were just unwilling to put up with the occasional accident - so, yeah, laziness. The one lad I know is still doing it I think does kind of need it, from what Mrs Cheesyboy has relayed to me - apparently it's considered medically 'normal' until they're about 11 or 12 or something.

Soldato
I'm sorry for the following ramble but I just need to get it out as I'm in bits & the mrs just keeps saying it'll be ok.

Today we took our 5mth old son to an appointment at Sheffield Children's to see a neurosurgeon. They decided that my son has 1 of 2 possible issues relating to excess brain fluid. To find out they need to do a MRI, which will require general anesthetic as you can't keep a baby still whilst conscious.

The outcome is still the same regardless of the MRI, my little boy will require invasive surgery. I am struggling to hold myself together. I feel like I'm failing my child because I cannot protect him from a world of serious pain. I am not an emotional man but I'm feeling torn apart by this.

Soldato
@Resident There's not much I can say on the medical side of things bud other than I'm sure all will be fine once the MRI is done etc, don't feel like it's you failing your son it's neither of yours fault. I know the feeling you have as I started a thread on here about feeling in the dumps about failing my 2 little ones around Christmas time, not having a stable financial situation for them and always snapping at them and feeling like a bad example of a role model, I know your situation is of more serious standard, I just thought I'd try help with the emotional side of things as I've been in very dark places in the last year and a half at times... If you need to let anything out mate or have a speak with anyone, drop me a trust...

Soldato
I'm sorry for the following ramble but I just need to get it out as I'm in bits & the mrs just keeps saying it'll be ok.

Today we took our 5mth old son to an appointment at Sheffield Children's to see a neurosurgeon. They decided that my son has 1 of 2 possible issues relating to excess brain fluid. To find out they need to do a MRI, which will require general anesthetic as you can't keep a baby still whilst conscious.

The outcome is still the same regardless of the MRI, my little boy will require invasive surgery. I am struggling to hold myself together. I feel like I'm failing my child because I cannot protect him from a world of serious pain. I am not an emotional man but I'm feeling torn apart by this.

That's really tough - sorry to hear of it.

I suppose you could attempt to phrase your thoughts as opposed to letting them down, you've worked to identify a future health issue and now you've got to go through a process of surgery/rehabilitation so that your son can be as healthy as possible. I imagine it'll be a taxing time, so even though you're not an emotional person it's important to talk to someone about what you're going through.

Don
They are 3 and a half. They were premature so technically they are really only 3 and a quarter. Need to have them done by September for preschool though. Pre-requisite for entrance to school.

Fair enough, they are the right age then and you just need perseverance :D Sticker-charts and routine worked the best for my boys while potty training. Boys definitely need more guidance than girls though!

Things like this are my worse nightmare, good luck to you and your family.

Babies look fragile but they are more resilient than you think and they are little fighters :)

Soldato

I feel for you, my 4 month had an mri today as we rushed him in last Wednesday as he is having epileptic fits all of A sudden.
I know exactly how you are feeling right now, and all I can say is you are not failing you are succeeding at sorting it out, you have to be strong for him, and it will be really tough but you will get through it. Like I have to right now, we've been in hospital for 6 days watching him fit with no idea what to do.
Cry, shout, and talk to anyone you can as many times as you can and it will help. Talk to the nurses and doctors as much as you can. Let it out, your fears and concerns and accept the reassurance you get back.
I came to this forum in a panic too and if you read back you will see that just having anyone listen and talk about it helps massively.

I wish you the absolute best of strength for all of you through this

Soldato
Potty training twin boys is going to be the death of me :o:(

Week 4 and minimal progress made. When I potty trained my daughter, she was done in a week!

our lad we had our 1st attempt at 2 years 7 months.. it was an abject failure, he would just wee without caring as well as a couple of poohs and he was in bits when we tried to force him on potty. I think he just was not ready and I was afraid of giving him a complex and making him afraid of wanting a wee / pooh so we gave up after 4 days or so.

tried agan 3 months later and it was totally different experience..... he pretty much got the wees in a day (odd accident of course) and poohs he was great with right away. he is 3 years 6 months now and still has a nappy to sleep overnight, but have dropped the day time sleep nappy as well (when he has a sleep, which is maybe once or twice a week).

I am no expert but sometimes they are just not quite ready........ I have no idea how we will broach night time nappy however.

his friend at nursery however is a month older than our lad and last i heard is still in nappies, but i wonder how much of that is his parents are scared of it rather than the lad not being ready. (i wont lie i found it pretty stressful esp the 1st time when he was not ready)

Associate
My 2.5 year old son managed to run into a park bench today. Massive bump on the head, cut his bottom lip through and came close to knocking teeth out. Good thing A&E is right behind our local park.

Oh and I cant wait for him to be potty trained!!! Lost interest in his potty pretty quickly :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorry to hear about both you gents having a scary time. I can only imagine how awful it must feel. As the others have said though, you're doing everything right so just keep talking. It's important to be strong, but it's also important not to go nuts trying to pretend you're fine throughout the most vulnerable experience you can have.

Soldato
he is 3 years 6 months now and still has a nappy to sleep overnight, but have dropped the day time sleep nappy as well (when he has a sleep, which is maybe once or twice a week).

I am no expert but sometimes they are just not quite ready........ I have no idea how we will broach night time nappy however.

Our boy is also just past 3 and a half and has too nailed the day time potty training. We just followed a basic outline in a book we found and it seemed to work and explained it in a way we could understand and get onboard with.

However we haven't tried nights :( I think we are putting it off as we have a newborn on the way (due date next week!) And worry it may just be too much for us to juggle, but it's probably not that bad. I am worried we may be leaving it too late but he still has a wet nappy when he wakes and has taken to pooping in the nappy before we get up!! Or maybe while hes asleep, hard to tell.

Back
Top Bottom