• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

** The AMD Navi Thread **

Soldato

Yeah and not that much more expensive than the other blocks (it includes the Nickel backplate).
€20 over the Acetal + Nickel backplate or €16 over Plexi + Nickel backplate, or €28 over the cheapest option, Acetal + black backplate.

However I am afraid that going to be the only GPU compatible with this. The core center is tiny, it won't cover bigger Navi chips like 5800 and 5900 :(

Associate
The review also set the texture filtering to high in the Nvidia control panel to match AMD settings. AMD tessellation settings are set to use application settings to match Nvidia's setting which does this by default.

Besides reviews, BTR tracks Adrenalin driver performance monthly, and if Surface Format Optimization is used, the result are more variable.

This editor has worked with AMD for over a decade benching their hardware and they accept the results.

You forget the obvious. These are the default settings AMD is operating, while he kept most of those things OFF on Nvidia cards.
AMD tesselation optimization doesn't tank the performance (mainly) in Gimpworks games to boot and the Surface Format Optimization improves how the memory handles textures.
Both these settings on Default they do not affect image quality. Yet this review changed the settings, including the texture Filtering quality to High. (which has around 1-2% impact)

Yet the guy set to OFF almost everything Nvidia has on the drivers, and put the cards from the default "Balanced" power mode to "Performance" power mode. On top in AB crack up power limits, voltages and the thermal throttling cap.
So basically he didn't run the Nvidia cards out of the box but overclocked (relying on Boost curve). The only thing did on the 5700XT was to set the card to 40% fan speed max as the default setting is very low.

And this is obvious from the results. Look at The Division 2 performance at 2560x1440. The best review on 2070S shows 80fps (Hexus). All other reviews have the 2070S doing between 75-78. This review shows 85!
With the same drivers and same setup (8700K @ 4.8Ghz - Hexus, TB or 9900K @ 5Ghz Anandtech, Legitreviews). Want me to start writing about the other games and reviews?

He basically tried to run overclocked Nvidia cards against the 5700XT AE. (his 5700XT results are based on the 5700XT AE with -75mhz clock).

Soldato
The review also set the texture filtering to high in the Nvidia control panel to match AMD settings. AMD tessellation settings are set to use application settings to match Nvidia's setting which does this by default.

Besides reviews, BTR tracks Adrenalin driver performance monthly, and if Surface Format Optimization is used, the result are more variable.

This editor has worked with AMD for over a decade benching their hardware and they accept the results.

The issue here using Application Settings for tessellation. That does nothing but hurt AMD in titles when the tessellation is to much I.e most of the old Nvidia sponsored titles or a title with strong tessellation.
AMD has gotten better but still lags behind Nvidia when it comes to tessellation power. I no VEGA massively improved not sure about navi!

Permabanned
Yet all of the settings they changed have no discernible change in IQ but can cause a big performance hit.

It is not as clear cut as saying "everything should be set to the same value in both"

What is determined as high in one application is not necessarily the same as high in another.

Everything should be set how it comes out of the box or as installed when it comes to the drivers.

I do not get how the lesser overclocked 7700K managed to get higher combined score :confused:

I've never understood combined scores as they never seem to make sense with AMD, I've had occassions where my Ryzen/Vega build got better graphics & physics scores but still lost to an Intel/Nvidia PC because of a very low combined score.

Associate
When the tessellation is too much? We are testing new cards. AMD has addressed tessellation weaknesses in their architecture long ago and that slider is for legacy GPUs. Using applications settings is the only fair way to test it.
The issue here using Application Settings for tessellation. That does nothing but hurt AMD in titles when the tessellation is to much I.e most of the old Nvidia sponsored titles or a title with strong tessellation.
AMD has gotten better but still lags behind Nvidia when it comes to tessellation power. I no VEGA massively improved not sure about navi!

Soldato
When the tessellation is too much? We are testing new cards. AMD has addressed tessellation weaknesses in their architecture long ago and that slider is for legacy GPUs. Using applications settings is the only fair way to test it.

Not on Gameworks games, is not. Then you try to do 64x Tessellation on hair.
Also the guy is using Shader Cache ON, on the NV gpus.

What that means
Shader Cache is a feature to optimizing 3D application load times and CPU performance. The shader cache pertains to the stored compilation of effects that has been stored on your storage device. Without it, the game will re-compile the shaders again. This hurts loading times and performance on open world titles. Always turn this on.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Testing should be default out of the box settings vs default out of the box settings in my opinion if you want a like for like comparison. Anthing else is just not cricket.

I hope everyone enjoyed that pun given what happened recently.

Soldato

I think you find Vega addressed tessellation. The RX series and below struggle with high tessellation count.

Even Vega struggle against the competing card.

Amd optimised is there for a reason and should always be left alone unless you want to lower the tessellation even more like hair works on the Witcher 3 performance impacted for no change in quality.

Associate
The Witcher 3 is tested with HairWorks Off. Of course, some might prefer that AMD be given an advantage by turning Tessellation down for AMD cards and leaving it on Application Settings for Nvidia cards.

Since AMD accepts BTR's testing and results as valid, I have nothing more to say here.

I think you find Vega addressed tessellation. The RX series and below struggle with high tessellation count.

Even Vega struggle against the competing card.

Amd optimised is there for a reason and should always be left alone unless you want to lower the tessellation even more like hair works on the Witcher 3 performance impacted for no change in quality.

Soldato
Unbelievable AMD, release a card that's £100 less than a 2070 super with 5% less performance. Release it at the exact same time as your game changing cpu's so now everyone wants to do a full upgrade...

Then release it with a furnace blower with no 3rd party cards for 6 weeks. Genius thinking. Brilliant. Why don't you just tweet impatient people like myself to go buy a super card.

Associate
Then release it with a furnace blower with no 3rd party cards for 6 weeks. Genius thinking. Brilliant. Why don't you just tweet impatient people like myself to go buy a super card.

equivalent super card is more expensive so why would I buy it rather than wait a few weeks to see what AIB partners provide. Its not like my current card doesn't let me game.

Associate
Unbelievable AMD, release a card that's £100 less than a 2070 super with 5% less performance. Release it at the exact same time as your game changing cpu's so now everyone wants to do a full upgrade...

100% behide you it's so frustrating my mobo isn't in stock either ha

I want

3700x
5700xt custom cooler
X570 gigabyte elite
32gb ram

Gotta wait another month :(

Soldato

Several owners here on this very forum is saying the whole blower "issue" is overblown. Don't forget that most tech press are idiots.

Back
Top Bottom