• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Just out a curiously can somebody with a 3900x play the 8k60 fps youtube (without hardware accelerate) smoothly on chrome. (only if you have high enough internet connection.

I know the 1950x was struggling.

Soldato
Interesting thing with the hardware unboxed vid, you can only see these small differences with a 2080ti and 1080p, it's that close now. He said if you're using something like a 2070 you'll usually see no difference between the 9900K and 3900X in gaming now.

Caporegime
I wondered why the test for that video was at 1080p then my brain switched on. So, if it's only about 6% at 1080, it must be negligible at 4k or ultrawide.

Soldato
I am getting a bit peed off with the intel is better at gaming trope from the YT reviewers I watch, it's at 1080p meh, it's not a lot, one's not unplayable awful whilst the other rocks. Everything on both sides is within gsync/freesync range, there's no difference really.

Soldato
I am getting a bit peed off with the intel is better at gaming trope from the YT reviewers I watch, it's at 1080p meh, it's not a lot, one's not unplayable awful whilst the other rocks. Everything on both sides is within gsync/freesync range, there's no difference really.

At best 5% average difference, even OC vs OC. I think the 3900X will age far better with bios improvements helping with the boosting issues, and as more applications and games use more cores.

Especially since if you can run the stock cooler, and even with PBO there’s a 1% difference. between getting a different cooler.

Soldato
Yeah, and put that 5% difference in avg and lows that are well within freesync range and you have zero difference. The recommendations should be on price. or just something else!

5% might of mattered years ago when we only had 60fps vsync, and being over that vs dipping under was maybe noticeable(?)

I'd like gamersnexus, jayz2cents etc to tell a 5% performance difference in gsync/freesync, there's none. So move on to something that matters, it's really lazy I find. Give me more Jim AdoredTV!

Associate
Well its definitely no longer "Intel is better in gaming". At best its "Intel 9700k and 9900k are better at gaming". Whole another story and you are looking at the top end of intel cpu lineup ONLY.
Even Ryzen 3600 eats the rest of Intel lineup for breakfast

Soldato
Well its definitely no longer "Intel is better in gaming". At best its "Intel 9700k and 9900k are better at gaming". Whole another story and you are looking at the top end of intel cpu lineup ONLY.

for me its 3 simple CPUs

3900x (x570 )over 9900k - editing / workloads/ streaming
9700k ( z390) over 3800x/3700x for pure gaming with high budgets
3600 (B450 ) over 3600x/9600k for mainstream gaming

Soldato

I have 3 PC's, all intel, so I'm not AMD fan boyying here.

Quick example then

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_3700x_ryzen_9_3900x_review,28.html

Full HD gaming perf table. Biggest difference Far Cry 5, 122 vs 152. I think FC5 might have been updated now but anyway.

Gync monitor - Can I see the difference between 122 and 152? I'd bet 10p it's just smooth on both.

G J

G J

Associate

The vast majority of Youtube vid's bench the 3600 against a STOCK 9600k/8700k and there's people fawning in the comments about how Intel got owned and then people point out but you can clock them pretty much to 5ghz which many of the Youtubers fail to mention.

Soldato
I have 3 PC's, all intel, so I'm not AMD fan boyying here.

Quick example then

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_7_3700x_ryzen_9_3900x_review,28.html

Full HD gaming perf table. Biggest difference Far Cry 5, 122 vs 152. I think FC5 might have been updated now but anyway.

Gync monitor - Can I see the difference between 122 and 152? I'd bet 10p it's just smooth on both.

It was World War Z that recently got a massive update. Brought the cpus to within 1-2% which is just margin of error.

Seems with Far Cry the engine itself doesn’t play well with Ryzen’s architecture yet.

Back
Top Bottom