Alan Turing, the new face of the £50 note

Caporegime
I'm in two minds about this from a value perspective, on the one hand a £50 is obviously the highest value note officially in monetary terms and therefore commands a rarity aspect, but then again almost no one really uses them... so the value to me is lost, he should have been on the £10 note frankly, far more used.

It should have been in peoples faces every day, the persecution of a hero because he wasn't "normal", indeed it was the start of the mental health saga in this country in my mind.

Permabanned
I'm in two minds about this from a value perspective, on the one hand a £50 is obviously the highest value note officially in monetary terms and therefore commands a rarity aspect, but then again almost no one really uses them... so the value to me is lost, he should have been on the £10 note frankly, far more used.

It should have been in peoples faces every day, the persecution of a hero because he wasn't "normal", indeed it was the start of the mental health saga in this country in my mind.

AFAIK the Scottish £100 note is still a legal currency in the whole of the UK. I did get a few years ago, in payment for a car, and no one would accept one save a bank. Some shopkeepers were even adamant they were fakes.

Soldato
The real villains use the infamous 500 euro notes worth more than its weight in gold, ... seems there are more/530m in distribution than 50's/340m

Associate

I 100% agree could not have put it better myself.

Soldato
Across society, people are being selected for things based upon membership of a victim group, to such an extent that the selection of any person who is part of a victim group must now be viewed with suspicion.

A relative of mine was just selected for an academic award, even though he failed his exams. Why? Because he was the only homo in the group.
All women shortlists for political posts......
STEM jobs going to females/ BAME/ LGBT rather than the best candidate.
And so on. It's happening everywhere.

If some white, hetero male was put on a note, then I'd conclude that it was a choice made upon fair considerations. Otherwise, it's suspect.
The solution is a return to selection based upon merit.

Do you refer to your relative as a homo to their face?

Soldato
This is disgraceful. First he’s responsible for the most overpriced video card launch in history and now he’s rubbing our noses in it by appearing on our highest denomination note.

My stepson has loads of £50 notes in his room from some Christmas or birthday.

Soldato
Do you refer to your relative as a homo to their face?

playing devils advocate.....

'homo' is a clipped form of the correct longer word and the poster you quoted used the mirror clipped word for 'heterosexual in the same post.

Personally is think Turing is a candidate of note in the history of the UK and northern Ireland without consideration of his sexual proclivities and somewhat suspicious death.

Soldato
Across society, people are being selected for things based upon membership of a victim group, to such an extent that the selection of any person who is part of a victim group must now be viewed with suspicion.

A relative of mine was just selected for an academic award, even though he failed his exams. Why? Because he was the only homo in the group.
All women shortlists for political posts......
STEM jobs going to females/ BAME/ LGBT rather than the best candidate.
And so on. It's happening everywhere.

If some white, hetero male was put on a note, then I'd conclude that it was a choice made upon fair considerations. Otherwise, it's suspect.
The solution is a return to selection based upon merit.

Your views are offensive.

Soldato

yeah, I don't think anyone give a **** about the history of anyone on a note when they pull out a wad to pay something.

Soldato

'homo' is a clipped form of the correct longer word and the poster you quoted used the mirror clipped word for 'heterosexual in the same post.

Personally is think Turing is a candidate of note in the history of the UK and northern Ireland without consideration of his sexual proclivities and somewhat suspicious death.

Doesn’t work as a defence for shortening Pakistani in the same way as you might shorten Australian.

Just playing devil’s advocate.

Man of Honour

That was my take as well, although I can understand McGraw’s initial bridling at the word homo.
On the subject of taking, and spending £50s, I’d maybe take 7-10 of them in a month when I was driving a taxi in London.
I’d use them when buying diesel, or in a supermarket, or bank them.
Once, in a corner convenience store, I went to the counter with just over £30 of stuff, bread, wine, vodka etc., and proffered a £50.
The proprietor said, “I don’t take those, got something smaller?”
I said, “A ten and two fives, that’s it, shall I leave this stuff here for you to put back?”
He grimaced, but took the £50.

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Never see any £50, I don't know what it is like now but many places would not accept them as far too many fake ones knocking about.

Back
Top Bottom