Twins Arrived. What Family Car?

Soldato
Hi All.

I'm looking to PX my M135i for a family-friendly car which should be able to carry twins and all the associated pram etc that goes with the territory.

I'm thinking of something around a 20k budget. I can increase this to 25k is the car really tickles my fancy. Must have wipe-clean seats (leather). MPG is not important as it'll not be driven for any distance regularly. I have my GT4 and MX5 for fun and a van for daily duties, so this will be used by the missus mostly for family runs to shops, holidays etc. I may jump in it of an evening so I'd like something with a bit of poke.

My initial thoughts were something like an Audi A6 Avant 2016/17 3.0l (320ps). An Octavia VRS Estate Petrol DSG, or ??? Answers on a postcard.

Soldato
Keep the m135i and drive as fast as you can to get out of there! It’s the only solution :D

I have the same car as you and when it goes I’ll be replacing it with the Audi you mentioned. Great cars, the Skoda is also a great shout.

Soldato
The problem with twins is the need for a double pram that will carry both. My m135i takes 2 kids no problem but it wouldn’t take shipping and two prams

Don
The Octavia and Superb would be where my money goes :) The hatch-back and estate boot space is absolutely cavernous!

For a family hack, I'd focus on the VRS spec rather than 3.0L 320ps engines. Cheaper tax, cheaper insurance etc :)

Soldato
Personally I'd be going for a Skoda Kodiaq at that budget. Huge boot and don't underestimate how much easier it is having an SUV. Easier getting kids and car seats in/out due to the height/door size, more boot space and just generally perfect as a family car.

I've owned numerous estate cars and would go for a SUV every time for a family car.

Man of Honour
Personally I'd be going for a Skoda Kodiaq at that budget. Huge boot and don't underestimate how much easier it is having an SUV. Easier getting kids and car seats in/out due to the height/door size, more boot space and just generally perfect as a family car.

I've owned numerous estate cars and would go for a SUV every time for a family car.

Have to say these days if I was in that situation I'd definitely take a long look at the mid sized SUVs.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Our C6 A6 has served us very well and the boys are coming up to 4 and 2 now. I honesty wouldn’t bother with an SUV.
A6, 5 Series or E Class all day long. Perhaps a V90 if they’re in budget?

Associate
had a m135i and now have a Octavia VRS hatch and a 17wk old.

The M135i would have been ok with 1 kid, but there would have probably been stuff on the rear seat. I honestly fooled myself into thinking there's way less paraphernalia than there really is... decent isofix baby seat is pretty large, then for short trips u need fold up stroller and bassinet thing (these 2 sit side by side in the octavia boot and would have had to stack in the M135i) and a changing bag. Then for overnight trips you'll also need moses basket for it to sleep in, more stuff for the little-un, steriliser, etc. not to mention your own overnight stuff... And that's only 1 new born, so double the amount with twins :o The Octavia boot is massive and soo good with the hatch access, but I would honestly think the Superb with an even larger boot would be a better option...

Associate
I have an Octavia VRS hatch and have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. It's a difficult all rounder to beat in my opinion if you need something practical; goes well enough, has a decent enough interior and infotainment, and has plenty of room in the rear and the boot. We've been camping and to center parcs etc. in it, plus the mrs never travels light, and never struggled for space. Pretty cheap to run too.

Back
Top Bottom