Five-Year-Old Child Hides On Medical Centre Roof To Avoid Being Circumcised

Soldato
It's big business in some countries (like the US), which is why they peddle it. But it's a totally pointless exercise and should be banned. Babies still die every year from botched circumcisions.

Soldato
One of the few? 80% of men in the US choose to have it done.

I am totally fine with adults choosing what ever cosmetic bits and bobs they like...... (and lets face it it IS cosmetic imo, ) but look at it this way, I suspect a good percentage of adults have tatoos as well............. but i am not in favour of giving a child a tatoo .

(and if anything a tatoo is less permanent than having your hood cut!.
I will say 1 thing however.... sure chat about it, it is interesting i think hearing other peoples opinions, but nothing anyone says here on the matter - or likely anywhere else - is going to change opinions. This is one of those things which i dare say 99.99% of peoples minds are made up on.

I almost had to have one - I can remember - vaguely - visiting the doctors now and her playing with my foreskin (as an adult i would need to pay for that now :D ) but it was decided there was no medical need.

regarding the story and the picture.... I really feel for the little lad. I know the parents are just doing what they think is best and I dont bear them any ill will or anything, but just think what must have been going through the poor kids mind at the time.

Soldato
You got a source for that? You're not in the US are you?

https://www.menshealthforum.org.uk/circumcision-faqs

I googled this so I'm sure you'll find some variance in the percentage from different sources but the overall impression is that most men in the US have it done.

You full well know my background so I don't see why you're asking me. Male circumcision adult or neonatal extends across cultures, religions and countries. I'll let you and Evangelion debate over FGM. Which is predominantly a central African phenomenon (Christian, muslim, other) and internationally agreed upon as unacceptable for the reasons I mentioned in the earlier posts.

Soldato
I think @dowie was referring to the amount of men in the US who choose to have it done in later life, vs simply - the amount of males who are circumcised from birth/toddler age who are not making an actual choice, and are forced because of religion or backward health polices (something the US is pretty well known for)

(although I'm so ****** from jetlag, having just returned from LA 5 hours ago...)

Caporegime
OP
@Screeeech yup indeed

@Buddy you didn't actually answer this question in reference to your statement that you're glad you had it done:

Are you one of the few who chose to have it done as an adult or was the choice made for you (if so see previous post)?

ref your claim above:

One of the few? 80% of men in the US choose to have it done.

I googled this so I'm sure you'll find some variance in the percentage from different sources but the overall impression is that most men in the US have it done.

That is rather different though - I think you'll find they mostly didn't make that choice themselves but had it done to them as boys/infants!

Soldato
@Screeeech yup indeed

@Buddy you didn't actually answer this question in reference to your statement that you're glad you had it done:

ref your claim above:

That is rather different though - I think you'll find they mostly didn't make that choice themselves but had it done to them as boys/infants!

And it's not just talk. The numbers speak for themselves. The percentage of babies being circumcised has plummeted. Today only 33 percent of babies are being circumcised, compared to 56 percent five years ago and 90 percent sixty years ago, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Still among adult males, we're mostly a circumcised nation: approximately 80 percent of American males are circumcised (non-Hispanic whites: 90 percent; blacks: 73 percent; Mexican-Americans: 42 percent).l

Soldato
Infant circumcision should be banned. Religious freedom - what a load of bull.

If someone wants to lop it off once they're an adult - then by all means. But doing it to a child because some storyteller 1000 years ago though it was a good idea is ridiculous.

Soldato
So the fact is that c. 80% of US males are circumcised, the vast majority of which had it done as an infant. Don't really see anything to debate here Buddy.

It should be banned unless medically necessary imo.

Soldato
So the fact is that c. 80% of US males are circumcised, the vast majority of which had it done as an infant. Don't really see anything to debate here Buddy.

It should be banned unless medically necessary imo.

I suggest you read it again. Slowly.
Rate of neonatal circumcision is falling (33%).
Adult men are choosing to do it (80%).

Why are grown men choosing to do it if it's so barbaric and unsafe?

Soldato
Stupidity.

Grown men smoke. Grown men drink to the point of drunkeness. Grown men take drugs. All dumb things.

130 million US men are dumb? Ahan.
Perhaps they've balanced up the advantages vs the low risks then decided to join the Pretty Willy Crew.

You're welcome to join. Embrace it.

Soldato
Infant circumcision should be banned. Religious freedom - what a load of bull.

If someone wants to lop it off once they're an adult - then by all means. But doing it to a child because some storyteller 1000 years ago though it was a good idea is ridiculous.

Religious freedom, but no freedom for the kid who won't necessarily grow up to BE religious...

People shouldn't mess with the body. It is the way it is for a reason and is the result of millions of years of evolution and natural selection. It doesn't need "fixing".

Soldato
I suggest you read it again. Slowly.
Rate of neonatal circumcision is falling (33%).
Adult men are choosing to do it (80%).

Why are grown men choosing to do it if it's so barbaric and unsafe?

Your refence:

And it's not just talk. The numbers speak for themselves. The percentage of babies being circumcised has plummeted. Today only 33 percent of babies are being circumcised, compared to 56 percent five years ago and 90 percent sixty years ago, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Still among adult males, we're mostly a circumcised nation: approximately 80 percent of American males are circumcised (non-Hispanic whites: 90 percent; blacks: 73 percent; Mexican-Americans: 42 percent)

To put it simply, this does not say "80% of adult males are choosing to be circumcised".

I can also run the numbers for your simply if you prefer. Starting with the basics, if 33% of babies are being circumcised today, a level actually lower than 5 years ago, how can 80% of adult males be electing circumcision. The maths works something like this: 100% - 33% = 67%

I could go further but I will leave it there....

Back
Top Bottom