• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Associate
Arriving a bit late here but which X470/B450 boards are the hive mind recommending to pair with the 3700X? Having a hard time finding any that specify they support 3600mhz DDR4.

Permabanned
i was having problems with heat on my 3900x when pbo and xfr boosting and even hitting the 95 deegress my msi x570 really liked to to put 1.5v though it to achive it so i decided to do a all core oc and most youtubers and other people said 4.3ghz was about amx i started at 1,4v and keeped going down and my 3900x is at 4.3ghz at 1.25v inh bios and completly stable i was very suprised by this.
What stress test you use for stability testing ?? As i said i sont think emtra 200mhz on single core is worth volts and temps that are getinf pumped in to.cpu lol

Associate
Asus sure are taking their sweet *** time getting AGESA 1.0.0.3AB available for X470 boards - kind of regretting ordering the Crosshair VII Hero now :(
Mine b350 worked like a dream (on 5007 bios), even first day and a half was sitting on old chipset drivers- no probs, oc, testing all sweet. Best 85£ spent in my life. :p

Last edited:
Associate
Ha, that's similar to how I went.
I did a brilliant job on my paste etc and managed to bork the AIO install and my system was shorting out.

I went to connect a cable to my H100i and the connector in the CPU block broke off inside it!

Now it seems that my Asus Xonar AE sound card doesn't want to work in any PCIE slot on my board (AORUS Elite). Just get intermittent sound if I'm lucky so I'm now using on-board sound as well. :(

You've gotta love new tech...:D

Soldato
But will it be a full blown supernova?

Seeing people hit 95C on their 3700X and 3900X is a bit alarming TBH.

It can be managed to quite a large degree with sensible voltage choices with no loss of performance (or performance gain in some cases).

I'm on a pretty beefy custom loop and I was seeing 55 idle and 75 load temps. At 34 idle and 46 load now in the same workloads with more performance after tweaking.

I hope that AGESA and BIOS updates will mature the PB and PBO features but it's entirely possible they won't.

Soldato
You do see higher boost clocks problem is voltage is to low to maintain the clocks so performance takes a serious nose dive, in my personal tests about %25

never seen or heard of that behaviour before.

I set negative offset, and seen no negative consequences to clock speeds chosen by scheduler.

The only negative effect I would expect from a too low voltage is instability if the cpu cannot handle it (poor binning).

Associate
The only negative effect I would expect from a too low voltage is instability if the cpu cannot handle it (poor binning).
Thats what most people expect when undervolting, but apparently on AMD new CPUS (and GPUs) there is a new system that just throttles back performance if it senses volts are not enough. So do check performance before and after applying undervolt

Associate
So sounds like a few people are seeing the advertised slightly higher 4.5Ghz boost of the 3800X then. Is the general concensus thats its worth it over the 3700X or not?

I found a few comparisons out there and certainly in gaming the majority only seem to show a few fps difference, for £60, hhmmm.

Caporegime
So sounds like a few people are seeing the advertised slightly higher 4.5Ghz boost of the 3800X then. Is the general concensus thats its worth it over the 3700X or not?

I found a few comparisons out there and certainly in gaming the majority only seem to show a few fps difference, for £60, hhmmm.

I couldn’t see anything convincing enough to take the 3800X over the 3700X.

Back
Top Bottom