• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 2 Owners Thread!

Soldato
Well I've spent the last three hours trying unsuccessfully to update windows, now tried to re-install and it won't let me do that either (can't find recovery environment).

tbh I'm getting pretty hacked off with windows 10 killing itself every few months.......

If I re-install from installation media, is there a way to do it while keeping my files etc?
If not I don't think I'll bother, it's far too much effort to get everything set back up the way I want it, I'm going to have to spend probably 20 hours or so re-installing all the software I use, not to mention anything that won't activate again so I'll have to re-buy it....

Build the barebones OS drivers and software you want then image it. A program like Macrium Reflect Free will do this but there are plenty of paid for and opensource alternatives.

Whenever you want to get back to where you were you can use boot able media and deploy the image yo your drive taking you exactly back to the point you were at at the time of creating said image.

You should employ a different strategy to backup and manage your data to copy back otherwise you need to keep maintaining the images. I wouldn't recommend doing this and it's best to use just image a clean, known, issue free OS.

Associate
Well I've spent the last three hours trying unsuccessfully to update windows, now tried to re-install and it won't let me do that either (can't find recovery environment).

tbh I'm getting pretty hacked off with windows 10 killing itself every few months.......

If I re-install from installation media, is there a way to do it while keeping my files etc?
If not I don't think I'll bother, it's far too much effort to get everything set back up the way I want it, I'm going to have to spend probably 20 hours or so re-installing all the software I use, not to mention anything that won't activate again so I'll have to re-buy it....

Not sure what the issue is there but sounds like a fresh install time. Backup data and goooo. Thank me later :)

Permabanned
47a80862c47759b73f300acf4d9d5ffd21d16716.jpeg

3733 14/15/15/30 @ 1.43 volts on ddr its bit fater than 3633 passed 40 minutes stress test.

Associate
Received my 3700x and b450 Pro Carbon today, had some issues using the flashback button at first but I got there in the end.

I know it's been said a million times at this point but my god does this cpu run hot, I mean I'm only using the stock cooler (think I'll be changing that very soon as the noise of it revving up and down is very annoying) but the idle temps are crazy, I've also seen it jump into the 60s when browsing the web. I came from an old 4460 using a stock intel cooler and it was cooler and made less noise than this thing...

It's not all bad though, very happy with the performance I'm getting from it in games, so there's that. :p

Associate
Single threaded loads and high volts are perfectly normal and the CPU is doing as it should. A single threaded load does not pull a lot of current, so higher voltages are not anything to worry about.

Could this be pinned on here and Reddit?

Also for those who are (rightfully) complaining about fans spinning up all the time. Change your CPU fan profile so the fans are off until 50/60 degrees.

ebrqCQc.png

Having the fans on when there's no sustained load actually doesn't provide much more benefit then having them off. The CPU cores is constantly boosting and sleeping all the time (1000 times a second with Ryzen Master plans).

Alternatively, if you're still really worried about voltage and temp spikes. Set your system to use the Windows balanced/power saving mode where you'll see massive drops. There's a program which can toggle this for you when you play games/do some intensive loads:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/powerplanswitcher/9nblggh556l3?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Associate
Not too happy with the temps / stability of my 4.3Ghz & LLC:High 3667C16 @ 1.325v overclock, so gone back to playing with PBO settings.

Multi-core boost i'm getting around 4.14Ghz, single core still not going over 4.3Ghz that I can see. Running ram at 3667C16, tried lowering to 3555, 3200 etc but didn't see any gain to core speed. Seems to be more to PBO performance than just core speeds. Temps are staying nicely under 75C, very stable.

R20 Multicore: 7,246
R20 Single: 494

There seems to be a lot of layers of duplication in the BIOS settings which is kinda confusing.

XFR Enhancement Menus (i'm keeping the limits low rather than maxing everything out)
  • PBO Manual
  • PPT Limit 180
  • TDC Limit 140
  • EDC Limit 220
  • PBO Scalar Manual: 10x
  • LN2 Mode Disabled
AMD O/C Menus (Seems mostly pointless unless boosting over 4.6 which never happens, but needs to be auto / enabled or XFR limits aren't applied)
  • PBO Enabled
  • IF Frequency: 1833
VCore Offset -0.1v
LLC: Auto (tried on high but just got hotter, don't trust turbo)

Edit: watching the clocks a little longer I have seen 4.391 & 4.441Ghz reported, but doesn't seem to hold that speed in cinebench. Odd to see 1.45v+ idle and drop to 1.28v under load guess thats how it's staying cool under load.

Last edited:
Associate

Also for those who are (rightfully) complaining about fans spinning up all the time. Change your CPU fan profile so the fans are off until 50/60 degrees.
It's the constant spinning up and down that is annoying. Set mine to a flat 40% (almost silent) then ramp up as goes over 60 degrees (only on full load):

Q4zV5B9.png

Last edited:
Associate
It's the constant spinning up and down that is annoying. Set mine to a flat 40% (almost silent) then ramp up as goes over 60 degrees (only full load):

Q4zV5B9.png

ebrqCQc.png

Having the fans on when there's no sustained load actually doesn't provide much more benefit then having them off. The CPU cores is constantly boosting and sleeping all the time (1000 times a second with Ryzen Master plans).

Alternatively, if you're still really worried about voltage and temp spikes. Set your system to use the Windows balanced/power saving mode where you'll see massive drops. There's a program which can toggle this for you when you play games/do some intensive loads:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/powerplanswitcher/9nblggh556l3?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
If my experience with mining rigs says anything about coolers, constant 40% much better than switching on, off ( will kill cooler eventually, just dunno how quick ).

Back
Top Bottom