Painting the kitchen, what do I need?

Caporegime
Imagine I have no tools or paint, what do I need to do a reasonable job of painting a kitchen?

There are some cracks where the wall and ceiling meet.

I want to get everything I need to make its as easy and stress free for me as possible, but I don't want it to take forever either.

Soldato
Masking tape.

Also on the above using the kitchen specific paint is always a good shout, it will stand up to some light cleaning should you need to.

I’d also clean the walls with some sugar soap before you start, the walls are likely covered in a fine layer of grease in a kitchen.

If the existing paints shiny I would also give it a light sand to key it up a bit.

Tea Drinker
Don
Foam filler for fine filling works
Johnstones covaplus paint

A roller might not be needed, kitchens have so many fiddly areas mostly it will be by brush

An appreciation that 80% of your time will be preparation, then you'll make a lovely job of it.

Associate
Depends how good you are with the brush, and how big your kitchen is? painting is a soulless experience once you're on your 2nd coat, after cutting in, for me it's roller every time, unless I was doing something intricate.

Soldato
I'd recommend Harris brushes personally. Amazon I've had a few sets from and the odd one or two from B&Q.

Paint
Rollers (Harris powercoat rollers are brilliant - I don't user anything else)
Small paint pot (£1 in B&Q)
Large 4/5" brush
Set of Smaller brushes
Roller tray
Old Tea Towels / rags
Sand paper of varying coarseness
Sugarsoap (for cleaning walls and ceilings prior to painting)
Wall scraper/stripping knife.
Coffee/Beer

Optional:
Mouse sander
1/4 or 1/2 Size Sander
Face mask
Goggles
Biggest floor fan you can get (see below)

That's more or less everything I used to paint my kitchen about 12-18months ago. HOWEVER, my kitchen walls were an absolute mess.. Cracking and flaking paint everywhere. And i mean EVERYWHERE.
So I used a stripping knife to scrape all the old flaky paint off first, then realized if I'd painted the walls as they then were it would be multi dimensional due to varying heights of numerous paints that were on the walls... So using the stripping knife I peeled off 90% of the paint from the walls. Surprisingly it came off rather easily. For the paint that had actually stuck to the plaster I used teh 1/4 and 1/2 sanders to sand the walls flat... This is where the fan comes in... Stick it near an outside door and it acts like an extractor fan. Sanding plaster is always going to be messy though (i taped up the door to the living room and there was still plaster dust covering the entire living room!!). I then sealed the plaster with watered down emulsion and kitchen paint over the top.

Still to this day it's as good as it was on the day we finished it. So in other words, its all in the prep :D

That's probably more info than you needed!

Back
Top Bottom