Which 8 pack memory for 3900x on x570 board?

Associate
Question as per the title I'm currently deciding between the below @8 Pack kits - 3200x14, 3600c16 and 4000c18.

They are all within a tenner of each other so price isn't an issue. I'll be running a 3900x on a x570 Asrock Taichi board and will be used predominantly for gaming.

Which are the best set, I know timings and latency are important but i'm not entirely sure how they interact and what produces the best result on a 3900x.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £439.97 (includes shipping: £0.00)

Caporegime
micron e die cost literally half the price and will hit many of those same points, c16 3600mhz, some will hit c16 or c17 3733Mhz which is about the max the infinity fabric will do 1:1 and seems peak performance area.

You can get 32GB for that same ~£140 price point. With Zen 1/1+ Sammy b-die was really the only choice for getting high mem clocks, on Zen 2, the mem controller is monstrously better, easy to get up higher and Samsung b-die isn't worth any price premium now.

Associate
OP
micron e die cost literally half the price and will hit many of those same points, c16 3600mhz, some will hit c16 or c17 3733Mhz which is about the max the infinity fabric will do 1:1 and seems peak performance area.

You can get 32GB for that same ~£140 price point. With Zen 1/1+ Sammy b-die was really the only choice for getting high mem clocks, on Zen 2, the mem controller is monstrously better, easy to get up higher and Samsung b-die isn't worth any price premium now.

Thanks for your input. Given I'm spending £1100+ on an upgrade an extra £70 isn't going to break the bank - and I get where you're coming from it might just be wasting money but the 8 Pack stuff seems to be very highly rated on this forum (biased or not) so for me seemed worth it.

Man of Honour
and I get where you're coming from it might just be wasting money but the 8 Pack stuff seems to be very highly rated on this forum (biased or not) so for me seemed worth it.
b-die ram was (one of) the only ram dies that worked reasonably well with ryzen/ryzen+, hence why it was recommended.
as alluded to earlier by drunkenmaster, ryzen2 has a vastly improved IMC, and micron e-die gives at least 95%+ performance of b-die (which i must say, is ridiculously overpriced), for less than half the cost.

personally just bought (shipped today) 32gb of 3200c16 e-die ram for £146.
the equivalent 2*8gb 3200c16 single rank sticks are £70. BLS2K8G4D32AESBK

for what it's worth...e-die briefly held the world record for ram speed, and is pretty overclockable
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/ballistix-sport-at-3200-mhz/

that £70 is better spent elsewhere tbh...including down at the stripclub pub :p

Caporegime
Potentially great CPU, Great MB, skimp on mems .... Dear me.... Dear Dear me........

the memory and motherboard will have next to no effect on the overall performance of that cpu. The motherboard is overpriced and pointless, b-die mem is horrendously overpriced and neither will extract better performance out of the cpu.

Spending more for the sake of spending more doesn't increase performance.

Numerous reviews, thousands of users, lots of data all point to the difference between say 3200Mhz cl14, 3733mhz cl16, 4400mhz cl18 to be miniscule, as in you really really won't notice it.

For all intents and purposes, from what I can see, the infinity fabric base bandwidth has increased so much, the latency has reduced so much and with so much cache, there just isn't a lot of performance to be gained now from massively higher speeds, and by not a lot I literally mean, <1%, not 3-4%, or 15-20% as potentially was possible on Zen 1 or an Intel chip, but okay lets say <2%.

OcUK Staff
This stuff just works..... Even from Ryzen 1xxx from day one..... Next Agesa code then maybe the stuff you guys are using is not ......... I just would not take a punt... Get something that works, can be tuned, Is rock stable and can OC. 2% perf also is better than nothing for someone into premium tier then this is absolutely the way to go....

You guys do know that the CPUs on current AGESA codes don't even boost to full stock speeds right??? and your questioning why it may be appropriate to buy bullet proof RAM??

Back
Top Bottom