Apollo 11?

Soldato
Unless I've missed it, I've not spotted any threads related to the 50th anniversary of the moon landings. I'm old enough to lived through the excitement of the day, and remember being huddled round a black and white TV in the school hall. Pretty much every classroom had something to do with Space/Apollo on the wall for weeks.

Some of the historical/docudrama stuff that is being shown is quite interesting.

Has apathy set in and no-one considers it a big deal anymore, or have the flat-earthers, conspiracy tin-hat brigade convinced everyone it didn't happen?

Soldato
I would highly recommend the new documentary Apollo 11. The 65mm footage is absolutely stunning and the soundscape is fantastic. Amazing to see some of the handheld stuff the astronauts shot in the capsule too.

I can't believe they managed it in 1969, mind blowing efforts.

Soldato
OP
Some of the numbers associated with the Saturn V are astonishing. The fuel pumps that fed the engines were shifting 15+ tons a second. When all 5 engines were at maximum, total thrust hit 7.5 million pounds.

Caporegime
There was a fantastic documentary on this. I think on prime. The welding on the fuel tanks had to be absolutely perfect to a absolute crazy tolerance. At one time 350000 were working on the project. Do not think we will see anything like that in our lifetime. Even the new Falcon heavy is a baby compared to Saturn 5. The Soviet N1 rocket was equally amazing although far too complex even though it was bigger.

Soldato
My memory of the landing is very, very hazy, but my childhood was one long WW2 or space adventure. My Dad got me up very early as he was getting ready to go out on an early shift, and I remember being sat in front of the grainy B&W picture, but no other details. I was 6 and probably having an asthma attack though... it was my main pre-occupation in those days, when I wasn't making Lego rockets (out of proper Lego bits, none of yer fancy dedicated shapes nonsense! :) )

I'm slowly working my way through the various documentaries that have appeared so far, and there are two things that amaze me. One: that it ever got sanctioned at all, given the political turmoil of the times. Two: the sight of that Saturn V piercing the clear blue Florida sky. I'm increasingly drawn to nature and 'grounded' stuff like gardening as I get older, but I don't think I'll ever see anything more beautiful -- physically or intellectually -- than the sight of the Saturn V rocket taking off. I was awestruck by the Shuttle, but it was never elegant.

It seems almost impossible to imagine how they managed all that back then. But I often look at things like the incredible warships of WW1 in a similar way, or even the early steam engines at the start of the 1700's. We've done a lot of developing for a very long time!

Well, we did right up to the invention of the internet anyway. Now I think we'll just regress back to the stone age rather quickly, dragged there by the need to appease populist outbursts that can flare up between breakfast and elevenses. But it was fun while it lasted. :)

Permabanned
Some of the numbers associated with the Saturn V are astonishing. The fuel pumps that fed the engines were shifting 15+ tons a second. When all 5 engines were at maximum, total thrust hit 7.5 million pounds.

Indeed! That sometimes rose to 9 million at the appropriate altitude. Just astonishing.

Man of Honour
My parents must have been among the very few to miss the live TV coverage as I was born on 21st July 1969. As such I've always had a real fascination with the moon and space in general. A few years ago I bought myself a speedmaster 'moon watch' which I absolutely adore.

We absolutely have to explore our solar system more than we have been. I think its essential for the long term survival of humanity.

Soldato
A fascinating series of videos I've been watching. An incredibly clever bunch of guys restoring an Apollo Guidance Computer. This guys videos in general are really good. The levels they go to are amazing. Really good watch.

Soldato
It's weird to think it was only actually 13 years before I was born. When I was a young kid, it seemed like it happened a lifetime ago.

I want to see the 'Apollo 11' documentary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11_(2019_film)

Absolutely, I was born exactly a decade after the moon landing but it always seemed it was eons ago. It hit home this month when the landing turned 50 and I turned 40.

The new "Apollo 11" documentary is jaw dropping and I urge everyone to see it.

Soldato

Werner Von Braun designed it with a Mars mission in mind, so it was hugely over-specified for the Moon missions.

Soldato
8 days to the moon and back on iplayer is worth a watch.

Does seem a real shame how interest in the moon missions just died off but at least its finally looking like we are going back and hopefully more.

Back
Top Bottom