Weekend in London with 2 young kids - any recommendations?

Soldato
My wife and I are off to London with our 2 kids (6 and 8) and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things to do while we were there?

We've looked at going on the Eye and in one or two of the museum's but does anyone have any other suggestions that the kids would enjoy? (And ideally aren't too pricey??)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Soldato
As the poster above mentioned - Natural History Museum and the Science Museum next door to it are both really excellent and free...

I'm going to disagree about the British Museum though... it's worth going to but I think it's way too boring for young kids - the two above seem to have been designed with all ages in mind but the British Museum is a much stuffier museum with no interactive exhibits and things like that (just my 2 cents though!)

Maybe take a trip up the river? Get to see a lot of the sights with the added excitement of going on a boat

Soldato
All those above, we also went with our 6 year old at the time.

It was blazing hot so we got drinks and food at Kensington Roof Gardens, flamingos, trees, stream and ducks on a roof in central London.

Edit: and the river taxis are quite good fun for kids too as a way of getting around.

Early evening Leicester Square area too, again our daughter was in awe of the bustle and lights, but I recognise it's not something an adult would necessarily want to do!

Soldato
My mum just took my 3 on a couple of days in London; they did the eye, a show, rainforest cafe, boat trip to greenwich, markets, open top bus tour, tower bridge... Mine are 4,11,14 so trying to get something that is good for all ages can be harder but all of the above are pretty universal.

Soldato
Alas, you can’t do “not too pricey” in London.

Might get close with self-made picnic in Regents Park if the weather’s nice.

Depending on what your kids like, London Zoo, National History Museum or Science Museum.

Soldato
Greenwich Observatory could be a good shout, set in a lovely park, but if the weather is good then it'll be crowded as hell.

Soldato
Natural History Museum is great
Science Museum has lots of interactive stuff, would be a good one

I think the Tower of London could be a good day, but it's quite a lot to go around (full day) and they may be too young to appreciate/understand it all and get bored. Perhaps one if they're really into history, or for when they're a little older. If you do go, definitely do the free guided tour with the yeoman warder :)

I was recommended the Bank of England museum, but it was closed as we foolishly tried to go on a good friday (I realised the actual bank part would be closed, but hadn't thought about the museum being closed!). I checked google maps and the Museum of London was nearby, so we went there instead. Free and has a good variety of stuff, so could be a good for a scoot round if you're in the area. https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london

At their age, they've probably covered the fire of London, so pudding lane might be worth dropping by if you're passing (there's a monument and just so they can say they've been). Not something worth bothering with unless you're passing though. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.510...4!1srw9pLsLjC2-7abCI2jPBwg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Associate
Queues outside Natural History and Science museum might be a problem with having young kids. We got there just as they opened and still had 30 - 45 min wait to get in. By the time we left they were lining up on the pavement outside.

Went into the V&A on the way back to the hotel and there was no wait at all.

Next time round, the plan is to head over to Greenwich as the oldest has more interest in that kind of thing.

Soldato
My wife and I are off to London with our 2 kids (6 and 8) and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for things to do while we were there?

We've looked at going on the Eye and in one or two of the museum's but does anyone have any other suggestions that the kids would enjoy? (And ideally aren't too pricey??)

Thanks for any suggestions!
as already suggested the natural history museum is amazing...... (though imo not as good as when i was a kid, last time i went stuff like the dodo and other stuffed animals were no longer on show. not sure if this was bad luck or a general trend)

I am a big fan of boat rides but that is just me..... but i would probably put some sort of trip on the thames on my agenda if i was going down there.

Soldato
Another vote for the Science Museum. Stay away from Hamley's....;)

Definitely stay away from Hamley's. It's like a warehouse of cheap, Chinese made tat with some, admittedly very good, staff making the toys look amazing, then when you get back to your hotel room with £75 worth of stuff you realise you've had your eyes gouged out. Ask me how i know! :D

Soldato
OP
Wow - thanks for all the suggestions!

We are there from Saturday to Monday so will do a bit of research into what's open and when and plan accordingly! (Might even consider a boat ride even though I can get sea sick on a canal boat! :p)

Associate
Things I did as a kid, mostly with school (they may have changed!)

Cutty Sark
HMS Belfast
Science Museum
Natural History Museum
Planetarium
Kew Gardens
London Zoo - also boating lake in the Park

Science Museum + Natural History Museum are an easy 2 birds 1 stone scenario, and are free. The V&A is also next door, and is nice, but not sure I would have appreciated it as a kid.
There's also the British Museum, but again, not sure I would have appreciated it as a kid either.

There's also

Madame Tussauds - never been, it seems to be one of the 'done things' in London.

Soldato
Wow - thanks for all the suggestions!

We are there from Saturday to Monday so will do a bit of research into what's open and when and plan accordingly! (Might even consider a boat ride even though I can get sea sick on a canal boat! :p)

If you do London Zoo you can then do a canal boat ride back to sate both those needs. The Zoo is pretty much a full day though so depends on how much of this you want to do comapre to seeing the rest of London

https://www.londonwaterbus.com/timetable

- GP

Back
Top Bottom