Summer Transfer Thread 2019

Man of Honour
Everton to Arsenal sounds like it might happen, a fee has been agreed according to reports.

Is he any good? I haven't seen him play.

Never heard of him either until his reportedly good run in the Copa America (Golden boot winner). Looks like a decent pacey young winger who'll cost just over a third of what Palace want for Zaha. His club want £32mil though so I don't see how we'll manage that unless they accept one of our pathetic instalment deals. There's rumoured to be a few clubs in for him so I doubt it'll happen, although some are mentioning that Edu is getting involved to get it across the line.

Last edited:
Soldato
If as a owner your main aim is to make money, then buying a few Brazilians could be a good tactic. Especially with Edu's insider knowledge.

I'd rather we got a Brazil international than spent all our budget on Saha.

Associate
Everton to Arsenal sounds like it might happen, a fee has been agreed according to reports.

Is he any good? I haven't seen him play.

Assuming its not an extortionate fee, I think that is a better deal than a Zaha at likely twice the price. Played very well at the recent Copa, ousting Richarlison early on and picking up the Golden Boot too. A proper old-school tricky Brazilian, pace and flair. Goalscoring record for Gremio isn't standout, but he's the right age to improve that aspect of his game. It also make more sense from an age perspective too; recently 23, whereas Zaha will be 27 in a few months. Better longterm value, at a club that could really do with improving that aspect of its organisation.

Associate
Nice to see Norwich sticking to their Premier League transfer ritual of buying ex-Leeds players. Sam Byram bought for £750k seems a cracking deal although he hasn't played much over the past few years.

Soldato
Dam transfer window has me hoping coutinho comes back but I know in my head it's all ******** and not likely at all

Coutinho needs to go somewhere if Barcelona want any chance of re-signing Neymar.

On a positive note, Maguire is in our squad for tonight's pre season game at Scunthorpe, according to Sky. :)

Even better Slabhead is playing. So much for the medical at Carrington this week, just laughable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bjorn Engels confirmed in at Villa now, apparently.

I've never heard of him. Wonder if he'll be a revolutionary signing?

Seriously, though... any watchers of Ligue 1 know anything about him? He's tall. That's all I've managed to glean so far.

Soldato
Coutinho needs to go somewhere if Barcelona want any chance of re-signing Neymar.

On a positive note, Maguire is in our squad for tonight's pre season game at Scunthorpe, according to Sky. :)

Even better Slabhead is playing. So much for the medical at Carrington this week, just laughable.

Why? Not that I believe it, you’re not exactly a million miles from manc?

Soldato
To be honest, we've moved on as a team without him. Much more solid and hard working in midfield. Really don't want him back.
I don't dispute that at all but he would still make us stronger, he is that midfielder that would get us goals or a free kick that actually goes in the net.

If he came back he wouldn't be a set starter but an amazing option to bring on

Soldato
I don't dispute that at all but he would still make us stronger, he is that midfielder that would get us goals or a free kick that actually goes in the net.

If he came back he wouldn't be a set starter but an amazing option to bring on

I don't think he's quite as good as a lot of fans think. He's skilful and scores the odd worldie, but he goes missing far too often and doesn't track back. There's a reason he's failed at Barca.

Add to that the way he forced his move, I just don't want him. Wouldn't even bother me that much if he went to United.

Think we could do far better than coutinho.

Soldato
I don't think he's quite as good as a lot of fans think. He's skilful and scores the odd worldie, but he goes missing far too often and doesn't track back. There's a reason he's failed at Barca.

Add to that the way he forced his move, I just don't want him. Wouldn't even bother me that much if he went to United.

Think we could do far better than coutinho.

I wouldn't want Utd to get him, but wouldn't be that fussed about having him back. As you say, he goes missing a lot, and when he has an off day, which is not uncommon, he's an utter passenger. When he's good he's incredible, but that's not common enough.

Don
Utter madness some of these Coutinho comments. In his last 18 months at Liverpool he scored 25 goals and 15 assists in the League and CL from just 3700 minutes - in other words a goal or assist every 93 minutes. That's elite level returns for out and out attackers, for somebody that's more midfielder than attacker it's unreal. Just as a comparrison Sterling, who's very much more an attacker than midfielder and everybody said had an outstanding season last season, scored 22 goals and 12 assists in the League and CL from 3650 minutes or a goal or assist every 107 minutes.

I couldn't care less how things have gone for him at Barca, he's a phenominal player and the only reason why we won't sign him back is because of the combination of a very high transfer fee and his age. We just don't pay huge fees on players in the 2nd half of their careers.

Don
Don't want him back, he wouldn't get in the starting 11.
I remember these sorts of shouts when we were being linked with Salah two summers ago too. For a start we don't and won't have a single starting 11 for every match and there would absolutely be room for Coutinho in our side in a large proportion of games but wouldn't it be nice to have to have that 1 extra top class attack minded player on the bench in tight games or to fill in if and when Salah, Mane or Firmino are injured or need a rest?

Back
Top Bottom