Best board for 3700x

Soldato
My kit finally arrived today and i have it built and running @ Stock so far, ran all the benchmarks i had previously run on my i5 3570K @ 4.6Ghz and for the most part can see improvements, but in a few tests its dissapointing, however, overall it is an improvement still, especially multithread naturally, but not as i had expected coming from such an old 4 core CPU.

For those considerinmg the MSI B450 Tomahawk, its a nice board thought the bios looks a bit naff due to its "lite" features, and initially i had to use flashback with an old USB memory stick to put on the latest v18 bios, but when i put in the chip etc and booted, no display, so i re inserted the usb and re flashed the bios using the button again and after it completed it rebooted and went straight into the bios, ive only set the time and XMP for RAM and rebooted a few times since, all seems well so far :)

Associate
So, my choice in motherboard is either:
AORUS Elite (£210)
Asus TUF (+£30)
MSI Pro Carbon (+£20)
ASUS Strix F (+£30)
MSI Meg Ace (+£100)

Is there any real point in getting a more expensive board if overclocking is a no go?
I know it is nice to have extra ports, but will there actually be a return on spending more? Everything will be paired with a 3700 and 2080ti.
I know a lot has been said about the mb fans being better on the MSI.

Associate
So, my choice in motherboard is either:
AORUS Elite (£210)
Asus TUF (+£30)
MSI Pro Carbon (+£20)
ASUS Strix F (+£30)
MSI Meg Ace (+£100)

Is there any real point in getting a more expensive board if overclocking is a no go?
I know it is nice to have extra ports, but will there actually be a return on spending more? Everything will be paired with a 3700 and 2080ti.
I know a lot has been said about the mb fans being better on the MSI.
from what ive read io one thing and it depends if you are gonna go pci-e 4.0 for storage as they have more m.2 slots

Associate
My kit finally arrived today and i have it built and running @ Stock so far, ran all the benchmarks i had previously run on my i5 3570K @ 4.6Ghz and for the most part can see improvements, but in a few tests its dissapointing, however, overall it is an improvement still, especially multithread naturally, but not as i had expected coming from such an old 4 core CPU.

For those considerinmg the MSI B450 Tomahawk, its a nice board thought the bios looks a bit naff due to its "lite" features, and initially i had to use flashback with an old USB memory stick to put on the latest v18 bios, but when i put in the chip etc and booted, no display, so i re inserted the usb and re flashed the bios using the button again and after it completed it rebooted and went straight into the bios, ive only set the time and XMP for RAM and rebooted a few times since, all seems well so far :)
do you do anything else eg game and watch videos at the same time? its one of the reasons I went with the upgrade, and also newer games not being so good with the 7600k.

Soldato
I watch youtube and work in photoshop, done the odd live stream and video encoding here and there, but not since i built this rig, all ive done is youtube, run bench tests and game in between, only had it up and running two nights lol.
Dont get me wrong, there is a good improvement in all games at 1080p... at 1440p not so good, The Division 2 came out worse but Tombraider improved a lot... its just that one game so far and older synthetic benchmarks, Heaven, Valley and Superposition, they all came out close but only just above or below, for example, superposition on my i5 got over 5700 and the 3700X got just over 5400, were as 3D Mark went from 9900 ish to 21000 plus. But game performance is far more important than benchmarks, i just use them for comparison when i make major changes so i can see if my money is well spent.
I had hoped to get much better performance in The Division 2, so i could play at 1440p without stutters/hangs, but thats never going to happen now as it plays worse, but as said, at 1080p.. it gets over 126fps average with no stutters or hangs. Do note though, im running the same windows install, i just ran a driver cleaner and uninstalled old files and drivers and its now running off a very fast nvme that scores over 3000 read and just under 2000 write, but my games are still on the same old mechanical hdd.

Associate
I'm in a similar situation as well. Is the fan noise that bad on X570 boards? I'd very much prefer something that works out of the box and was aiming to go for a Gigabyte X570 GAMING X. It's a bit pricey but was recommended by Gamers Nexus at least.

The alternative is to go down B450/X470 route with a BIOS flash, and I've narrowed that down to the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC as I wanted some of the features it has. I also don't have a previous gen Ryzen CPU to work with and this board has the dedicated "flash BIOS" button so I can do it via USB. It's also in the list that ~>Dg<~ posted too (thanks btw).

Also here's a relevant MSI blog post I found which might help others out too.

Back
Top Bottom