What have you done to your car today?

Soldato
Are you keep going back to the same garage?
I don't blame them for the parts issue. Their suppliers system showed the parts for the MPS are the same as normal Mazda 3s.
Actually, they are slightly different.
And no one does them but Mazda.

The delays I expect were due to stuck bolts

Man of Honour
Just total morons, I see it every so often. People seem happy enough to do 40 in a 60 for apparently no reason, but they can't handle allowing anyone else who does actually want to drive at the speed limit on a perfectly safe stretch of road to do so. They're all morons for nearly causing an accident and they're also morons for not knowing what the NSL sign means.

Had exactly this happen to me on the way to work yesterday - have it on dashcam but it doesn't really show it very well. Had someone pull out infront of me then almost come to a stop then get funny with me because I got fairly close behind them which was entirely their fault then I had to follow them for around 3 miles while they did a static 40 mph irregardless of whether it was 30, 50 or NSL couple of times I got closer to them when a chance to overtake came up and they'd instantly be on the brakes which meant I had to slow down too much to be able to overtake safely - eventually there was a half mile straight where again they were instantly on the brakes when I closed up behind them to overtake at which point they were barely doing 30 in a NSL and then tried to keep pace with me when I'd committed to the overtake which made it potentially dangerous (fortunately I had too much momentum by that point for them to achieve frustrating my overtake). On dashcam though with only front facing it looks like a fairly normal overtake.

Then a few miles later had someone pull out infront of me from a garage and again not get going after pulling out - and again got funny with me through what was entirely their own actions and I think was going to brake check me from the way they looked at me in the mirror but the passenger grabbed their arm and I think they changed their mind - that or they didn't fancy the chance of 2 tons of pickup truck through their back window.

Soldato
I've introduced a groaning vibration through the car and can't figure out what it is... losing my mind.

Only does it at low revs going straight, so unlikely to be the sway bars I fitted. Could be the subframe brace but I retorqued to 85lb/ft on the advice of the company who makes it and no change. I guess next step is to remove parts until it stops.... :(

Soldato
I've introduced a groaning vibration through the car and can't figure out what it is... losing my mind.

Only does it at low revs going straight, so unlikely to be the sway bars I fitted. Could be the subframe brace but I retorqued to 85lb/ft on the advice of the company who makes it and no change. I guess next step is to remove parts until it stops.... :(
Engine mount?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The ID19 was paid for today. Going to bring her home on Monday.

Been staring at wiring diagrams on-and-off for a couple of days figuring out the construction of a new section of wiring loom to replace the knackered power supply to the wiper motor (and to do so in better fashion than my usual bodge-tastic manner :D). Reckon it won't take much.

Man of Honour
Technically this was yesterday.

c3f4fc58cb97589b4ea3e8a1470f1283.jpg

The FD2 came out of the garage again today to go for a service up at Performance Autoworks. Nothing major, just engine oil and gearbox oil plus a look at the pads as they were picked up on the recent MoT for 'wearing thin'.

Against forum experts' advice, I’ve followed that of two different Honda garages that race these engines and look after loads of track cars and stuck with 10w60 Oil.

Gearbox wise I’ve gone with Torco MTF with friction modifier instead of Honda MTF and so far it’s made the diff a lot smoother and less noisy. Time will tell if it stays that way.

The front Pagid RS29’s are only 50-60% worn so I’ve not replaced those. I also bought new OEM pads and they had about half a track day left so I’ve replaced with OEM again. The rear pads and discs aren’t showing any sign of excess heat and braking performance is fine so I’ll stick with them, they’re cheap too at around £45 so that’s a bonus as the fronts are not cheap.

Proper giggle to drive still, looking forward to next week now as I’m off to the ‘ring on holiday.

It's a little, erm, unrefined compared to the M140i. And I keep getting in it and pressing the start button with nothing happening, forgetting I have to put the keys in the ignition and turn them. :D

Associate
Refurbed my rear caliper as it was binding after I pulled the handbrake on a steep slope, wheel got rather hot going home.

My own fault as I was lazy and didn't fix the boot which was split about a year ago, I had to get vice grips on it as it was that seized. £130 later; a new genuine piston and full seal kit and its like new. :D It's £240 for a brand new caliper.

Couldn't be bothered to paint it as the shot blaster was down at work :( Going to have to start looking after things a bit more as I can foresee Toyota discontinuing a lot of parts for the Starlet.

qk01k5ll.jpg
4abd4m9l.jpg

Associate
I take it £130 was for a rebuild service?

When I did my 4 pots on my Celica genuine Toyota pistons were £10 a piece (I replaced 5.) and a genuine rebuild kit only £40. The rears were only twin piston so even cheaper.
Nope sadly not. Why would I use a rebuild service when I can do it all myself ;). Front brakes are a different ball game to rears. I have a set of WMS 4 pots on the front on mine. The EP91 Glanza V parts are getting rare and Japan seems to be hoarding them, it's not like a Celica lol. Prices on RHD Japan speak for themselves as some parts are discontinued.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom