• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel to Cut Prices of its Desktop Processors by 15% in Response to Ryzen 3000

Permabanned
ryzen 3 would have never have been 6 core. ever purely for the fact of APU using 4 cores .

Athlon (can be Gold if copying intel's names) - 4-core APU with Vega graphics;
Ryzen 3 - 6-core
Ryzen 5 - 8-core
Ryzen 7 - 12-core and 16-core

along with Intel setting the 3/5/7/9 naming scheme for the last decade or so .

pretty much easy enough for anyone new or more focused on intel to adapt to AMD.

intel uses i9 for HEDT which is the Threadripper area, and i9-9900K only.

Caporegime
3, Score 9006: Intel Core i9 7960X at 4.5Ghz, Pooh
4, Score 8304: Intel Core i9 9940X at 4.6Ghz, Fatpizza

5, Score 8176: AMD Threadripper 2950X at Stock - PHO, amigafan2003
6, Score 7842: AMD Threadripper 1950X at 4.1Ghz, Rensin
7, Score 7743: AMD Ryzen R9 3900X at 4.35Ghz, andy_mk3

Wait for the 16 core 32 thread 3950X to ruin Intel's mood let alone Threadripper 3 which will have up to 64 cores 128 threads.

Caporegime
Man of Honour
Interesting. How much RAM can the current TR systems support?

I could have one single rig with one of those CPUs in and nest my VMware home lab but I'd need 256GB of RAM to do so.

Caporegime
Interesting. How much RAM can the current TR systems support?

I could have one single rig with one of those CPUs in and nest my VMware home lab but I'd need 256GB of RAM to do so.

1 to 2TB, depending...

We previously refuted AMD’s statement that Threadripper would support 1TB, but we were all wrong. In fact, AMD says there’s nothing preventing a Threadripper from running up to 2TB of RAM.

The problem, of course, is how you can manage to get eight DIMM slots to pack in 1TB or 2TB of RAM. For 1TB, you’d need to populate all eight DIMM slots with 128GB LR-DIMMs (Load Reduced DIMMs). Unlike today’s Registered DIMMs, which use a chip to re-drive some of the signals to the memory directly from the CPU, an LR-DIMM uses a memory buffer to re-drive all of the data and instruction sets.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/319...ipper-prices-specs-release-date-and-more.html

Caporegime
Cheers, daft question but is there anything that I could buy now that would suit, or is that an unknown?

1950X / 2950X

The problem is Motherboard vendors only officially support 128GB, for example https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X399-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC/Specification however at the time 32GB modules were not available, they are now.

There are screenshot's floating around the net with Threadripper systems running 256GB of RAM, AMD say Threadripper will support upto 1TB, i think if you really want to build yourself a 256GB system i would suggest you talk to Motherboard vendors about the numbers they quote in their technical data sheets, i'm pretty sure that's not a limit of the board's but what was available at the time, its certainly not a limit of the CPU which has 8 Channel Memory support.

Put this to them, beyond that all you need to do is find 8 32GB memory modules, they do exist.

Back
Top Bottom