New car advise

Soldato
So potentially next year depending on where we move and little one starts school myself or the Mrs will have to get a second car.

Atm we can get by with one, however the budget will be small maybe up to 3k max for the extra one

The only requirement which we cannot budge on is that it has to be auto.

Now I know at this budget can't really expect low milage and super reliability but I'd like to least try, my thoughts initially are a honda civic? Jap engine and from what I gather last yonks

I have seen plenty of cheap BMW 3 series at this price but I'm not sure they would come under reliable and milage is usually over 100k.

Is there any cars that come to mind?

Our main car is a seat leon. Hatch back preferred but a saloon is fine too.

I would like to avoid anything pug and vauxhall.

Man of Honour
I have seen plenty of cheap BMW 3 series
what sized car do you need for the better half? for 3 grand, a nasty old german marque isn't the best choice
not to mention in addition to the 3 grand, there's also higher running costs, tax etc etc

Soldato
OP
what sized car do you need for the better half? for 3 grand, a nasty old german marque isn't the best choice
not to mention in addition to the 3 grand, there's also higher running costs, tax etc etc
We will both drive it tbf mostly her as she does not like the leon. She doesnt mind the idea of a civic so far. The mk8 varients

She would be happy with hatch back or a saloon, preference would always be hatchback mind.

5 door and room for one car seat, boot space similiar to leon size is fine.

A focus makes sense but she doesn't like the old shapes.

I wondered about maybe an old mazda 2? She likes volvo c30 too but I think they ceased production so I don't know if getting parts for these be easy

Soldato
I understand money can be tight, but I don't think I'd want to have my wee one driven around in any car that only cost me 3k!

It's likely to be 10+years old with poor crash protection and safety features by modern standards. I would want to transport them in the newest car I had available, regardless of which I preferred to drive.

Just my thoughts having gone through a similar process last year.

Soldato
OP
What exactly is it about the Leon that she finds objectionable?
Cause every one has one... To which I said doesn't matter just shows popular and well its a good car.

I also pointed out that she has had a swift and a pug 2008 which are both common cars :/

However women logic and cars are a mystery!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
My O/H just bought a 2011 Mégane for under 2k with relative low miles (her stipulations were petrol girly mum car with 5 doors and decent boot). I'm not sure auto is a thing for these though.

MK8 Civic is better however, which is what I have except 3 door manual, but 5 door autos exist. Relatively bullet proof, interior is interesting and I think the best load space compared to the rest at this price point.

Shesaid it's too much of a boys car, same with the Focus but never mind, she bought French and is happy with it. It also has Bluetooth which is harder to find on the Civic I think. Can always add a Parrot or similar.

Soldato
OP
My O/H just bought a 2011 Mégane for under 2k with relative low miles (her stipulations were petrol girly mum car with 5 doors and decent boot). I'm not sure auto is a thing for these though.

MK8 Civic is better however, which is what I have except 3 door manual, but 5 door autos exist. Relatively bullet proof, interior is interesting and I think the best load space compared to the rest at this price point.

Shesaid it's too much of a boys car, same with the Focus but never mind, she bought French and is happy with it. It also has Bluetooth which is harder to find on the Civic I think. Can always add a Parrot or similar.
She partly says same with the Leon it's too much of a boys car by my Mrs logic I'd say civic is more boyish than a leon

After reading I have def ruled out any old bmw.

What's people's thought on an older mazda compared to say the civic then?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Forgot to say we had Mazda 3 on the list as that passed the vagina test. You seem to get a lot of spec as standard so easier to find a nice one but she opted to spend less on the Mégane.

It's jap so generally it's going to be reliable whatever you pick. 09/10 onwards is what you want to look at.

Back
Top Bottom