Shooting Clays

Caporegime
Tomorrow will be my third weekend on the trot shooting, quite enjoying it due to it not being a fitness related hobby for a change :D Building up the motor pattern of mounting so that it becomes second nature. A few 10's but also some stands I'd rather not recall!

I'd budgeted up to used Silver Pigeon territory for my first O/U and having tried both a Kofs Sceptre, ATA SP, a Winchester (unknown in May) and Beretta (of some kind back in February...) I swayed towards the ATA as a sensible decision though did opt for the Silverline variant (slightly higher grade stock and engraved action).

A colleague actually gifted me two unused skeets he'd picked up at competition after I'd purchased one myself :o so now I have three already :p

Grabbed some Laylvale Power Golds in a 24g 7.5 this week to try, currently using Power Blue in a 28g which I bought with the gun that do kick a fair bit but not as much as the Power Red's I sampled the guns with :eek:

Spoilt for choice in and around Bucks as for where to shoot, Drayton Parslow last weekend which is a 15 minute drive and offers a pretty varied 120 bird :)

The crazy bear isn't too far from you, think there's one near Steeple Clayson also.

I know my local pub is in a league also.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
:D

Did it once with my Croydon boys and bsolutely loved it, but that's a given: 'cus guns!! We were all exceptionally good at it, so much so the rich farmer country blokes who owned the estate in Sussex we were on all came and joined along with us the whole day cracking compliments and jokes. It was a sight actually, a bunch of meat heads and tattooed South London monsters joshing about with 60/70 year old rich white landowners hahaha had an absolute ball!

Lovely course, low fliers for rabbits or doubles between the trees etc. Would love to go back again :)

Soldato
OP
Looking forward to Sunday. Will be out breaking clays again.

Previously I've been using a club 28" silver pigeon. In a short period a mate has started with a 30" SP but now has a 30" 690 black edition. So it will be a new experience with longer barrels etc.

Soldato
OP
Looked at Barbour at possible winter coats. Been several years since I had a new one and the 200x snowboarding jackets are worn-out and not waterproof... it just so happens to have deep front pockets for cartridges and small upper pockets for putting hands in when it's cold :)

Probably mark the shoulder with the butt pad but that material seems hard wearing.

Soldato
I always built up a couple of layers under a Browning shooting jacket for cold, but dry days. You don’t want to add bulk/restrictions to your arms and upper body.

For wet days, the same layers under a Trespass waterproof coat/trousers with a mesh shooting vest over the top as there’s way less material to soak up rain and they dry really fast.

Soldato
OP
I always built up a couple of layers under a Browning shooting jacket for cold, but dry days. You don’t want to add bulk/restrictions to your arms and upper body.

For wet days, the same layers under a Trespass waterproof coat/trousers with a mesh shooting vest over the top as there’s way less material to soak up rain and they dry really fast.

I have a decathlon clay vest - which seems to be great for hot weather and with a warmer layer under I think for colder days. I needed a wet/winter jacket anyway outside of shooting hence the Barbour. The last water proof I had was a goretex shell top but managed to rip a small hole in it (about 1 cm sq) with a fishing hook so some gorilla tape and that's good for fishing as possibly shooting with clay vest on if need be.

Associate
Anyone here ever had experience with Bredas? Currently looking for a section 1 shotgun for practical and it is currently a toss up between a Benelli M2 or a Breda B12i. The Breda is edging it due to the huge cut on the loading port which should aid quad loading immensely but whilst everyone knows about Benelli, Bredas seem to be a much rarer beast. Anyone ever had an experience with one section 1 or section 2?

Soldato
OP
Tried to suggest the Mrs and I go window shopping for a clay gun. Specifically I wanted to see a Blaser f16) a couple of weeks back.. no no and no.. she was citing that going window shopping will end up wanting a specific gun that costs too much (due to redundancy I'm looking for a new job atm). Once the job is landed.. I will have to revisit :D

Soldato
OP
For xmas the Mrs has booked us both in for a Bisley shooting session with a tutor in Feb. Should be fun.. although i have to unlearn all my bad habits.

Soldato
Can I just say, as an ex CPSA accredited scorer, no, you didn’t hit it if you did it would have been bloody obvious. I don’t care if you come up the drive on the back of a toyota like a texan. Some say that it’s the farm boys who are the best shots but in clay shoots it who can argue with the ref. It was a long time ago so I no longer care. Having had the opportunity to shoot clays privately, gun down and broken I’d say that’s the fun!

Soldato
OP
So today was the instructor lesson at Bisley. First time at Bisley too.

I think for a novice (and I've not shot for what must a couple of years) that wasn't too bad. Easy clays, close in and with four to five traps.

Compared to the other place I've shot at, Bisley is very much on rails where the ground is specifically for a particular sport such as skeet etc. Compare that to the other site where it's less competitive and the traps are moved each time with a lot more variety at each peg (there's about 18 pegs too).

Soldato
Not bad at all.

I do prefer sporting layouts where everything’s set up permanently and you’re not stood in a muddy field shouting pull at some poor sod manning a trap in the freezing cold.

Have you been to West London Shooting School at Northolt? Very nice layout, though it isn’t cheap.

Associate
So today was the instructor lesson at Bisley. First time at Bisley too.

I think for a novice (and I've not shot for what must a couple of years) that wasn't too bad. Easy clays, close in and with four to five traps.

Compared to the other place I've shot at, Bisley is very much on rails where the ground is specifically for a particular sport such as skeet etc. Compare that to the other site where it's less competitive and the traps are moved each time with a lot more variety at each peg (there's about 18 pegs too).
If you get the chance, go over to the Sporting Trap stands on the other side of the setup - it's a much more interesting challenge!

Associate
I had an experience day last year clay shooting. Enjoyed it.

Quite fancy having another go.

Would you say the best option would be to buy an experience voucher from gotcha or whatever. Or contact a club and do a have a go through them

I do archery(I'm quite good if i do say so myself) so I would only be looking for an occasional go at the clay (maybe I could take my bow lol)

Associate
I had an experience day last year clay shooting. Enjoyed it.

Quite fancy having another go.

Would you say the best option would be to buy an experience voucher from gotcha or whatever. Or contact a club and do a have a go through them

I do archery(I'm quite good if i do say so myself) so I would only be looking for an occasional go at the clay (maybe I could take my bow lol)
You may be better off finding a local club which provide lessons. They will not only take you though improving your **** but also the process of applying for a license and selecting a gun.

Back
Top Bottom