New Ryzen 3800x build not booting on X570 with 4 sticks Ram

Associate
Could anybody help me I am about to pull my hair out.
Specs of system:
MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 7 3800x
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
Corsair RM850x
EVGA 1060 3gb
Samsung 960 NVME

So boot the system on 1 stick of 8gb, get windows installed, drivers etc.
shut the system down put 2 sticks in and let it run. I then set memory timings to match the spec on the box of the sticks, and it will no longer post. had to remove battery to reset and try again, try just setting the ram at 3200 and it will not boot. reset battery again.
Put all 4 sticks in at default and again it will not even boot on default settings.

It seems there is an error light on the mobo for RAM when not posting

This is my first build in about 15 years and especially new to AMD so not sure if its something obvious im missing, and I have always let the bios set things for ram in the past.

Could it be just a bios update is needed? I think I will be doing that after work today anyway as I read the changelog and some of the features added seemed useful for my board.
Is the ram just crap for this build?

Any insight would be greatly aprpeciated.

Edit: Just read DDR clocks drop off considerably when using 4 sticks to around 2400mhz? would that get the system to boot if I set that?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, get your self on the latest BIOS. However you should be able to get all ram modules installed and the PC running if you don't set DOCP. That will allow you to as mentioned get the PC running and flash the BIOS.

Then reboot and set DOCP. The normal thing with Ryzen is for it to train the memory a few times so expect the PC to reboot a few times until it will either fail or boot successfully.

If it fails... even with latest BIOS then either someone with more knowledge than me can chip in or what I would do is just lower the frequency a notch until it boots.

I reckon eventually it will boot it's just a BIOS issue.

Saying that it has taken over two years for a BIOS for my Prime x370 to finally get DOCP working for my ram.

Considering you have a top x570 board my bet is it is a BIOS issue.

However I also notice you don't have Ryzen friendly ram. (Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz)

If this is new ram, send it back and by the DarkPro B-Die stuff.

Better yet check the QVL list for you mobo and buy based on that.

Associate
OP
Yes, get your self on the latest BIOS. However you should be able to get all ram modules installed and the PC running if you don't set DOCP. That will allow you to as mentioned get the PC running and flash the BIOS.

Then reboot and set DOCP. The normal thing with Ryzen is for it to train the memory a few times so expect the PC to reboot a few times until it will either fail or boot successfully.

If it fails... even with latest BIOS then either someone with more knowledge than me can chip in or what I would do is just lower the frequency a notch until it boots.

I reckon eventually it will boot it's just a BIOS issue.

Saying that it has taken over two years for a BIOS for my Prime x370 to finally get DOCP working for my ram.

Considering you have a top x570 board my bet is it is a BIOS issue.

However I also notice you don't have Ryzen friendly ram. (Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz)

If this is new ram, send it back and by the DarkPro B-Die stuff.

Better yet check the QVL list for you mobo and buy based on that.

Thanks I will definitely try this when I get back,
Could you give some insight about the ram not being ok for the ryzen? In the compatibility page it has the X570 listed, this was recommended by a few people and I am a bit clueless when it comes to Ram and the types.
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Categ...lpx-black/p/CMK16GX4M2B3200C16#tab-tech-specs

Soldato
Associate
Could anybody help me I am about to pull my hair out.
Specs of system:
MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus
Ryzen 7 3800x
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
Corsair RM850x
EVGA 1060 3gb
Samsung 960 NVME

So boot the system on 1 stick of 8gb, get windows installed, drivers etc.
shut the system down put 2 sticks in and let it run. I then set memory timings to match the spec on the box of the sticks, and it will no longer post. had to remove battery to reset and try again, try just setting the ram at 3200 and it will not boot. reset battery again.
Put all 4 sticks in at default and again it will not even boot on default settings.

It seems there is an error light on the mobo for RAM when not posting

This is my first build in about 15 years and especially new to AMD so not sure if its something obvious im missing, and I have always let the bios set t ithings for ram in the past.

Could it be just a bios update is needed? I think I will be doing that after work today anyway as I read the changelog and some of the features added seemed useful for my board.
Is the ram just crap for this build?

Any insight would be greatly aprpeciated.

Edit: Just read DDR clocks drop off considerably when using 4 sticks to around 2400mhz? would that get the system to boot if I set that?

I'd try loading the XPM profile and then lower frequency to 2666Mhz just to get booting. Then slowly ramp up.

Zen 2 shouldn't have the same extent of memory issues as Zen1, with a good kit of 4 sticks at 3200mhz should be more achievable on a Zen2 system.

Associate
OP
So after a bios update the sticks seem to be working. although testing at a slower speed. When i try and go for 3200mhz, should i manually input the voltage of 1.35v rather than letting it automatically do it?

Soldato
Got 32gb ~ 4 x 8gb
In my x570 board
Vengeance lpx 3000mhz cas 15 ~yeah I know ideally should be 3600mhz
But carried over from last build
No problems whatsoever with it
Though gear down mode if it's enabled in bios doesn't do odd cas
So sets it to cas16
The qvl list only means they tested the ram on the list nothing more
There's way too many rams for them
To test
So not being on the qvl list is pretty much meaningless
Only if on the list is it useful as means
Yes it will run it

Associate
So just installed the 4 rams and not running at full speed only at 21xx. At 2 stick I get 3200. Should I try upping the voltage? If so to what?

Soldato
you may need to bump up the SoC voltage, if memory serves that ties into the memory controller on the cpu so upping it may allow your ram to work at rated speed, tbh 3rd gen ryzen should be very good with ram upto 3600mhz in any config (2*8gb or using all 4 slots) if you still have problems you may have a bad egg (cpu wise) which is unfortunate.

i've had no issues running dual and quad channel ram upto 3600mhz in my case (3900x), was in dual and quad channel modes and 16gb, 32gb capacities too

Soldato
Current ddr voltage 1.356v. Here’s a pic of the voltages
https://imgur.com/a/LlIxMV6\

looking at your screen shot you need to change the CPU NB/SoC Voltage from auto to around 1.1v, this will usally sort out weird memory issues, try not to go above 1.15v as that will damage the imc in the cpu over time, ideally not changing it is best but to get stuborn kits of ram working its the only way.

noticed also the auto voltage is a bit high (1.174v) so you never know that could be the problem, backdown or set 1.1v and see if your ram will run at 3200mhz with all sticks installed

Associate
Im having the same problem (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) with an GigabyteX570 Ultra. I managed to get 2x sticks @ 3200Mhz working, but four have problems; it crashes when trying to get into windows. Ill have to try upping the SoC voltage to see if that helps. When reading around, people suggested an 3900x+X570 should be able to run four sticks. Its even in the QVL list - sounding like that doesnt mean much. atm have two memory sticks doing nothing :s

I guess a safer bet would be to get 2x 16Gb modules, 3600Mhz later on. Although seems crazy when I have the memory already from a previous build.

Soldato
Im having the same problem (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) with an GigabyteX570 Ultra. I managed to get 2x sticks @ 3200Mhz working, but four have problems; it crashes when trying to get into windows. Ill have to try upping the SoC voltage to see if that helps. When reading around, people suggested an 3900x+X570 should be able to run four sticks. Its even in the QVL list - sounding like that doesnt mean much. atm have two memory sticks doing nothing :s

I guess a safer bet would be to get 2x 16Gb modules, 3600Mhz later on. Although seems crazy when I have the memory already from a previous build.
Check your ram timings and make sure gear down mode is enabled if it's already enabled then trysetting dram voltage to 1.4 try booting if no go then keep dram at 1.4 and set SOC to 1.15 try again if no luck then keep the previous voltages set as above and try setting VDDG to 1.050 and VDDP to 1.000 and report back.

Back
Top Bottom