• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Can’t install Windows 7 with a X570 Tachi

Permabanned
OP
Ok so after having Windows 10 installed for a whole weekend I turned on my computer today after work to be greeted with a error screen telling me windows cannot access the boot file and will require a repair.

Great, it was working fine right up until I turned my pc off yesterday but it seems it has done some kind of update and bricked itself. Ok so I put the windows disk in to carry out a repair, except windows doesn’t seem to know how to repair itself, or even know what operating system (the only one on the boot drive) I want to do a system restore on.

Grrr I know why I refused to upgrade from the superb windows 7.

So after nearly half an hour of unsuccessful messing about to try and possibly reinstall windows it’s just decided to spring into life.

Something tells me this is the first of many where is my hammer moments. :confused:

Associate
Building a pc is easy, installing windows is easy...

However
Building a PC right, and setting up an OS properly are a totally different thing.
The number of numpty builds i have come across in my time... the usual is just going with MS supplied drives, no visits for proper ones. No security, no patching ect.. And this comes from IT staff as well i have come across in the past.

Its easy to just hit the enter key a few times, but setting up a new build properly requires much more.

Permabanned
OP
Only time I've had windows 10 errors and it try to brick itself is when I've been overclockimg and pushed it too far, usually something memory related :o
Everything is stock and ram is set to xmp profile. I have tried overclocking the ram but it doesn’t like any changes it seems.

Associate
I am by no means an expert but this is not the first pc I have built so I’m inclined to say you are wrong. Pc is built fine with decent components so I’m calling it a windows issue that has now miraculously fixed itself.
I dont know how you set it up so cant say for sure but i can say that windows does not have a habit of crashing out and needing system restores or disk checks without something bad happening.

I take it the build level was 1903, the very first version of 10 which comes off the original ISO's was a bit iffy but that was a very long time ago and any install your doing now would not be at that build.

Caporegime
By the way running at XMP technically isn't 'stock'.

I've seen multiple systems that start behaving odd with XMP enabled, usually voltage related.

Permabanned
OP
I dont know how you set it up so cant say for sure but i can say that windows does not have a habit of crashing out and needing system restores or disk checks without something bad happening.

I take it the build level was 1903, the very first version of 10 which comes off the original ISO's was a bit iffy but that was a very long time ago and any install your doing now would not be at that build.
Everything was updated via windows update when I turned my pc off it did an update, turned it on today and it came up with an error. No changes hardware or software was made by me.

Associate
Hmm it usually takes a few days of updating and restarts to do a full up to date windows install, well that depends on what the original install is based from.
Could be a windows update issue, not finished or something and it shuts down - i get this an awful lot with staff here that just switch off there pc's when logging off even though they are warned on pain of ******* death by my hands that if they do that it can and will mess up the OS. but they still do it and i have to dig a shallow hole in a forest again :p

Permabanned
OP
Hmm it usually takes a few days of updating and restarts to do a full up to date windows install, well that depends on what the original install is based from.
Could be a windows update issue, not finished or something and it shuts down - i get this an awful lot with staff here that just switch off there pc's when logging off even though they are warned on pain of ******* death by my hands that if they do that it can and will mess up the OS. but they still do it and i have to dig a shallow hole in a forest again :p
Windows was shut down properly and left for the update to its thing. No interruption to the power was made.

Anyhoo I’m putting it down to a windows issue as it has come back to life, if it returns I will investigate further.

Soldato
Ok so after having Windows 10 installed for a whole weekend I turned on my computer today after work to be greeted with a error screen telling me windows cannot access the boot file and will require a repair.

Great, it was working fine right up until I turned my pc off yesterday but it seems it has done some kind of update and bricked itself. Ok so I put the windows disk in to carry out a repair, except windows doesn’t seem to know how to repair itself, or even know what operating system (the only one on the boot drive) I want to do a system restore on.

Grrr I know why I refused to upgrade from the superb windows 7.

So after nearly half an hour of unsuccessful messing about to try and possibly reinstall windows it’s just decided to spring into life.

Something tells me this is the first of many where is my hammer moments. :confused:

Wow people hate ps/2 that much they used a inferior OS to avoid using it :)

Soldato
Usually there's some sort of hardware issue, windows 10 doesn't tend to **** itself for no reason.

In my experience its the norm for windows 10, not a corrupted bootloader granted, but "feature updates" more commonly screw something up than not, not to mention the countless broken security updates since win 10 got launched.

I can sort of make win 10 almost be trustworthy by deferring feature updates for the max 18 months, and only updating when I want (which prevents the auto reboots). But I still dont have it on my main rig. I would only trust a LTS build of win10 for that.

Back
Top Bottom