Road Cycling

Soldato
Stuck some in the post for SoliD , hope it works.
Legend!

Got any with a 28mm ID I could use for my Praxis? ;)

Yeah I'm really liking the following and media coverage/awareness they're bringing, but equally hate the fact the Rapha Ignorant CC (tm) will now be riding the Gravel and Bikepacking routes... :rolleyes:

Just because it's semi related - https://bikepacking.com/bikepacking-routes/ tons of routes, although not many UK. The ones which are, are more MTB multiple day audax type than gravel but should hopefully see more appearing on there. Great little site with some amazing content of routes including mini reviews, pictures and stuff. The Iceland ones I found really interesting.

Soldato
Has anyone else used their Halfords Strava code yet?

I added it to my basket the other day to see if it worked (it did) but didn't buy anything yet. Just tried it again today and it says it's been used already! :confused:

I thought it would only be classed as used when you pull the trigger on buying something?

Soldato
Headset compression ring :D

God, that took ages to work out.

AHHHH yes :D

I added it to my basket the other day to see if it worked (it did) but didn't buy anything yet. Just tried it again today and it says it's been used already! :confused:

I thought it would only be classed as used when you pull the trigger on buying something?

Yes, got to collect it yet though.

Soldato
Legend!

Got any with a 28mm ID I could use for my Praxis? ;)

Yeah I'm really liking the following and media coverage/awareness they're bringing, but equally hate the fact the Rapha Ignorant CC (tm) will now be riding the Gravel and Bikepacking routes... :rolleyes:

Just because it's semi related - https://bikepacking.com/bikepacking-routes/ tons of routes, although not many UK. The ones which are, are more MTB multiple day audax type than gravel but should hopefully see more appearing on there. Great little site with some amazing content of routes including mini reviews, pictures and stuff. The Iceland ones I found really interesting.

Cool, that new forest one looks spot on for a day out.

Soldato

Rubbish, did it give you a scannable code? Try it in store rather than online?

Not got mine yet, got the other half excited about 'a free £10 halfords voucher we can spend on mini^me' so have been allowed the excuse of some extra rides to clock up the 5*30mins+ required. #winning

Last nights was good, although loaded up with commuting gear+backpack and it was humid as hell... Plus a light shower or two. So light and so hot/humid so didn't really get wet, was very 'moist' lol. Especially with the paced effort I put into a short loop I've been meaning to check out how it rides (pretty boring but a mix of terrain/traffic/roads so possibly good for testing some small things). Have found out that a quality longer (5-6 mins just spin the legs) cooldown in this weather helps me loads with recovery. Usual cooldown routine (soft pedalling into the village for 2-3 minutes) really wasn't doing much for me...

Plan tonight is to ditch backpack and put an effort into the 10TT on my doorstep. Won't be a spectacular time and some gusty winds around, but good intensity training/position training for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
I mean it's not exactly a road bike but probably fits here more than the MTB thread.

Picked it up in the recent wiggle Felt sale - 2018 FX40 (Cyclocross)

Not to everones test but I quite liked the matte finish and vulgar colours :D

Not had a bike for a couple of years having previously owned a Ribble Granfondo, however with having kids I wanted something I could take down the canal path (bought a rear seat) but then can also use on the road too - Will probably grab an extra set of wheels at some point once I get back into riding.

dCWz91o.jpg

Fitted a quad lock too which seems awesome and was going to use my phone as the computer, good/bad idea?

Downloaded strava, cycle computer and Komoot, any new stuff out given I've been out of the loop for a couple of years?

Soldato
Can anyone recommend something to wear under my helmet for sweat as it's bloody boiling here at the moment, forecast 40c on Tuesday too...

I've looked at some cycling caps but they all seems to be made of cotton.

You could try using a buff/bandana type thing, problem is anything you use will add insulation to your head and you won’t feel the effects of the vents on your helmet as well

Soldato
I have only started wearing sweatbands this year and they have been a revelation - Castelli ones are great, don’t know they are there and no sweat in eyes, they do a summer skull cap thingie too!

Soldato
Can anyone recommend something to wear under my helmet for sweat as it's bloody boiling here at the moment, forecast 40c on Tuesday too...

No all helmets are made equal on this front - some are definitely bigger sweat buckets than others, and it's generally (IME) what more expensive helmets manage better...

Soldato
so have been allowed the excuse of some extra rides to clock up the 5*30mins+ required. #winning
I hopefully 'cheated' a little yesterday with 2 activities which should qualify to finish off - an hour & 20 long ride split into 2...

Anyone know how you can check what activities their thing actually tracks? The email's of 'you completed an activity' seem really delayed and I'm still only showing 3. Technically I've done 6 activities but one of the first didn't count and not had any emails for the final 2... Grr/hmm!

Have done a load of intensive riding for the activities and then did a 2 hour tempo on the turbo this morning. Huge spike in volume which should hopefully kickstart some fitness or at least some quality base foundation if I continue and commit to a large sportive... If I can avoid getting ill again and written off for a couple of weeks. Again. :o :( :mad::eek::D

I'm fat. I've barely touched my bike this year apart from commuting to work. Blame house renovations and soapbox racer builds.
Good excuses as any.

Picked it up in the recent wiggle Felt sale - 2018 FX40 (Cyclocross)

dCWz91o.jpg

Fitted a quad lock too which seems awesome and was going to use my phone as the computer, good/bad idea?

Downloaded strava, cycle computer and Komoot, any new stuff out given I've been out of the loop for a couple of years?
Great bike and fantastic colour - has mudguard mounts too and possibly worth fitting so the mini doesn't get lots of muck thrown at them.

We got a rear seat but only had him in it once, really didn't like it and went the trailer route. Now around 1 year of the trailer being used for nursery duties 3 days a week, it's been fantastic. Mini^me utterly loves it too! :D

Quad lock are good, really love mine but don't use it outside very much, mostly just turbo use. Strava on phone is ok but once you start to use it more you'll soon get annoyed/frustrated with the lack of functionality. IPBike used to be awesome on Android as an alternative but no idea recently. Head units are really recommended once you start with multiple sensors, all weathers and mapping etc...

Hunt around, you can get caps which are more summer wear. The ones I'm using you can't get any longer but I can always be found in a cap all weathers... Did start off with headbands, the sportful and castelli ones mentioned are good. DHB do a bunch as well and I even got some windslam/windproof ones which are superb for cold/cool winds. Do only tend to wear them on the turbo these days...

No all helmets are made equal on this front - some are definitely bigger sweat buckets than others, and it's generally (IME) what more expensive helmets manage better...
Totally agree, but then again the more aero the helmet sometimes the worse they are too. My £160 Kask Infinity is horrific in the heat... My £50 Specialized Echelon II is pretty good...

Last edited:
Soldato
Idiots out in force today.

i.) Van passed within inches when the other lane was completely clear on a wide, straight road with good visibility
ii.) A driver overtook some cyclists coming the other way. Gave them plenty of space which was great to see... but in doing so almost ran me off the road as they decided to overtake just as I was almost level with the cyclists they were overtaking.
iii.) Got yelled at by an Audi driver (surprise!) for cycling in the middle of the road...while going past a long row of parked cars, in a 20 zone, when I was doing 24mph. They tried to squeeze past at a pinch point and had to pull out of the move, then almost went in to the back of the car in front when they eventually found a clear(ish) spot to overtake. Lovely chap, followed that up with weaving all over the road while sticking his middle finger up out the window.

Remind me why I put myself through this on a nice sunny Sunday morning?

Back
Top Bottom