• iPhone XS Max - 512Gb

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • iPhone XR - 64Gb

Votes: 27 5.7%
  • iPhone XR - 128Gb

Votes: 32 6.8%
  • iPhone XR - 512Gb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too expensive,, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 107 22.7%
  • Not interested, I won't be getting one.

Votes: 122 25.8%

• Total voters
Soldato
Guys I'm looking get get the XR on ebay, I checked the IMEI/Serial of one of the phones on the main website and another IMEI. And it shows it not been activated. Does the phone need to be turned on for the1 year warranty to be active? Cheers

Soldato
@UberTiger I’d try an XR out in a shop as I don’t think there is any loss whatsoever with the force touch being gone.

For example, just copied and pasted this on my XR instantly with no problems whatsoever:

“I'd consider switching to the XR for the bigger screen (the max is too big for my hands), but I'm not wiling to give up force touch for cursor movement and text selection.”

Went into the Apple store last night to have a play. I could probably live with the screen resolution, I do like the slightly bigger overall size from the X/XS. I didn't like not having force touch though.

As there isn't force touch the cursor movement only works if you long press on the spacebar, as opposed to instantaneous force touch anywhere on keyboard area.

As there isn't any pressure sensitivity you can't then apply more pressure to easily highlight text, which I use all the time as I type so much content on my phone.

I'm sure it's fine for most people, but the problem is they've really nailed it for productivity on the force touch screens for those who do type a lot. And once you've learned how to use it, it does feel so much better, slicker and responsive and it would be hard for me to go back.

Vid of me using force touch to more easily manipulate and select text: https://imgur.com/19juEQf

Soldato
According to the rumour mill Apple are binning 3D Touch so in the near term future iPhones won’t have it.
Shame, I like that feature.

Really trying to decide if I'm going to upgrade from the XS Max this year. i don't like the look of the camera bump and it seems like a tiny upgrade. Hmm. What are you guys doing who are on the AUP?

Soldato
Yup still a few force touch features in iOS 13. I hope they don't ditch it as I like using it. Even if only to read a whatsapp message without letting them know I've read it

Soldato
Yeah, speaking of which, I still can't believe they've not added a mark as unread feature to to Messages yet, so you can set a reminder to go back and action a message later. I think I've sent them a suggestion for that feature a few years in a row now.
It's very rude of them to keep ignoring me.

Associate
So since the last few days of really hot and humid weather in the uk I have started to see that there might something be wrong with my Xs it randomly presses on apps doesn’t open them or activate 3D Touch hopefully it’s nothing

Soldato
Had my iPhone X screen completely crap out on me last week. Used it all morning. Picked it up off the table in the afternoon and zero response.

Reset it a few times using the side buttons, but still no response. Ended up having to go to the Apple store to get it repaired.

Seems there's a 3 year replacement scheme for the touch failing on the iPhone X models. They said anything else would have been chargable as out of warranty as it's 18 months old.

Man of Honour
They said anything else would have been chargable as out of warranty as it's 18 months old.
Just challenge them with the consumer rights act or whatever it is, they usually ask you in store if you're aware of your rights and every time I've said I am they've done whatever fix is needed free of charge out of warranty period.

Soldato
Just challenge them with the consumer rights act or whatever it is, they usually ask you in store if you're aware of your rights and every time I've said I am they've done whatever fix is needed free of charge out of warranty period.
Consumer rights are applicable at the place of purchase, not the manufacturer

Soldato
Couldn't you just have gone back to where you got it from and get a replacement from them? Doesn't matter as you've had it fixed for free now but that's what I would've done.

To be fair it was only the 3G which I got from O2. All subsequent devices have been directly from Apple.

Soldato
Had my Xr for a little while now after upgrading from a 6 - thanks for the pointers. Went for the blue, it's growing on me.

Good:
- Really fast, can load webpages with lots of ads with ease
- Big screen, lots of real estate to see more online ads
- Battery life (around 1.5x longer than my 6)

Bad:
- Too big to comfortably fit in my pocket
- Quite heavy
- Feels like iOS is now the bottleneck rather than hardware (no different than on my 6 really)

Overall I'm pretty happy, but I do think there's a place for phones still with the 6 form factor/size, if it were possible with modern internals, but what do I know, I'm probably out of touch!

PS - Bought a Mujjo leather case after much deliberation. It's great if a little pricey - recommend if that's your thing.

Soldato
I've been using a 7+ since launch and its been a great phone but I've been thinking of snagging a cheap 256GB XS Max as they seem to be going for around £800 brand new now and only to get cheaper next month with the 11 coming out.

I had a quick play with one in my local O2 store and something that I noticed immediately that with opening up various apple apps, scrolling though, shutting them down etc the animation was not very smooth. My 7+ is much more smoother doing the same thing.

I had a check of the iOS version the store XS Max was running iOS 12.1.

It got me wondering when I got home why the XS Max was like this as I was expecting it to be very smooth and came across this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-xs-momentary-stuttering-after-inactivity.2141542/page-40

Am I right in saying that all XS Max suffer the stuttering problem?

Soldato
I read a while back that it’s to do with the scaling of the UI and the way Apple do it.

Was considering a max, but if this is still an issue I’ll stick to the normal size.

Back
Top Bottom