• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000) - *** NO COMPETITOR HINTING ***

Soldato
A permanent price drop seems likely as it's hard to justify to anyone at £480ish. It's no better really in gaming than the 9700K, and for anything else the 3900X easily beats it and includes a cooler. The 9900K at £400 and 9700K at £310 would be good competition for AMD.

Associate
This. AMD released a statement about it on Reddit. Basically apps like HWInfo constantly wake the CPU to check the clocks, but once they go to deep sleep they - by design - shut off. Apps like HWInfo aren't coded to properly deal with this, so they continue to report the last known reading (eg 1.45v and max clocks) despite the core actually being off. The takeaway was use CPU-Z and/or Ryzen Master, both of which read the CPUs properly and give accurate readings for clocks and voltages.

The cores go to sleep and use hardly any power but every time hwinfo tries to read the speed and voltage of a core it wakes it up and it boosts the speed
Has Hwinfo been specifically confirmed as a problem ? The AMD posts on Reddit said monitoring software without naming names. The Hwinfo guy has posted a reply in hwinfo forums.

https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-Votage-Monitoring-for-Ryzen-3000-Processors

I don't have any confirmation for this issue yet, but theoretically it's possible that HWiNFO might be affected. It might also depend on system configuration and what kind of/how many system components are being monitored.
If I get such a confirmation, I will surelyy look for some solution.

Soldato
Has Hwinfo been specifically confirmed as a problem ? The AMD posts on Reddit said monitoring software without naming names. The Hwinfo guy has posted a reply in hwinfo forums.

https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-Votage-Monitoring-for-Ryzen-3000-Processors

I don't have any confirmation for this issue yet, but theoretically it's possible that HWiNFO might be affected. It might also depend on system configuration and what kind of/how many system components are being monitored.
If I get such a confirmation, I will surelyy look for some solution.

The post I read was by an AMD rep and mentioned hwinfo specifically. It included screenshots of CPU-Z and Ryzen Master and said to only use those two, at least until other apps patch and fix the issue.

Associate
The post I read was by an AMD rep and mentioned hwinfo specifically. It included screenshots of CPU-Z and Ryzen Master and said to only use those two, at least until other apps patch and fix the issue.

If its this one, i think the AMD rep only mentions hwinfo with dont have multiple monitoring apps open that might contend.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

There is a further response from Martin hwinfo in that thread .

Not trying to be contrary, I dont have Ryzen 3000 so cant try it myself ( currently 2700x ) but am considering it , couldn't live without Hwinfo, see interested to see where this goes ..

I still don't have any confirmation that HWiNFO would be affected by this phenomenon. It is not polling the CPU as aggressively as described, so I don't expect a big issue here.

Honestly speaking, this time AMD has failed big in supporting 3rd party tools. We are still missing several information and advanced support. Some quirks (like detection of sleeping cores) is AMD keeping for themselves, which is a shame. I'm ready to investigate this issue in more detail and take actions if needed. But this requires support from the other side too.

Today I'm planning to release a new Beta build of HWiNFO (v6.09-3855), which should reduce the CPU polling a bit more.

Martin, HWiNFO Author

Might be worth trying the beta if you've Ryzen 3000

Associate
I've had a 3900x on pre-order for a while. I just called OCUK and they said "yeah.... don't expect that anytime soon"...(basically)
So I'm now deciding on 3700x or 3800x.

I'd get the 3700X personally, I didn't see a substantial enough difference between the two to warrant the extra £50, but either one is probably overkill for current gen games.

Associate
I've bought the 3700x. To hell with waiting more. I've been waiting since 2015 lol.

I think thats is a wise choice, I couldn't choose between the 3800x, 3900X or 3700X in teh end I went 3700X as I have only had the 2600 for 6 months and been so impressed with it that surely I will be happy with the 3700X, it also means when next years refresh comes I wont mind spending again.

Soldato
I'd get the 3700X personally, I didn't see a substantial enough difference between the two to warrant the extra £50, but either one is probably overkill for current gen games.
Got it :)

it also means when next years refresh comes I wont mind spending again.
Exactly my thinking. Saved £160 and already got PCI 4.0 so I can defo see myself buying again Ryzen 4000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom