• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Upgrade/sideways from Vega 56

Associate
Hello All,

I have had a Vega 56 for about 4/5 months now and i just don't like it, way to hot and load. i spend half my time playing with wattman and getting nowhere. i end up playing all games with Chill on.

Before the Vega 56 i had a gigabyte 1060 and ran like a dream!

I play at 1440p, i do have an element gaming monitor with freesync. all types of games, WoW, Dota/league, DMC5 JD2 etc.

I am looking for the quietest and coolest GPU available ideally nothing more than £500.00 something like:

Palit jetstream S 2070 - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-04y-pl.html

MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...92mb-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35k-ms.html

Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Just out of curiosity, what model do you have? and what temps do you get?

If i had £500 and wasnt willing to wait for the AIB 5700xt card then the 2070s is the way to go. Looking at the two i would say the MSI would be worth the extra £30. But that is £60 over the £500 threshold which is quite a lot

Soldato
I have the same monitor, it's brill, however I'm not sure nVidia support freesync on it, if they did that may shake up my 5700XT Red Devil buy O_o

72 is fine, 2070S will be around same temps

Caporegime
Unless you get one of the Palit 70 Supers that are in stock, then you'll be waiting months and months, as the pre-order queues are into the hundreds now, and the cards are only coming in, in single figures.

I bet theres a fare few waiting for the Gaming X-Trio, so pointless ordering now, as not see it for about 6+ months, 30s be out by the time yer get it :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Yeah thats not really hot. I would say your wanting to switch to nvidia so just bite the bullet and move on.

I have a 1060 6gb and a vega 56 and the vega is far superior to the nvidia. Maybe some tinkering to find a good balance but I have had mine set and not touched it for months. I also tinkered with the 1060 and like how power efficient it runs but again this is not stock settings; you have to investigate to get the best out of the hardware.

Associate
Learn how to use wattman or follow someone else's settings and under volt the Vega 56. It will run a lot faster and cooler afterwards, though as others have said 72c isn't bad.

Soldato
72 degrees isn't bad for ANY GPU. The new supers will be there or there abouts in temps too so you're not getting any difference in temps. I think you just want to go Nvidia, so do it. Enjoy the same temps and a bit more performance.

Associate
Is it just the heat you are having issues with? I am also not a fan of the heat that it pumps out into my room, but as others have said messing with Wattman can help considerably. Given you could sell your card for I guess around £150 - £200 you'll be out of pocket by about £300 just to reduce the heat and gain some FPS. Have you considered looking at water cooling instead? Some people have adapted an all in one solution to work https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/rx-vega-with-kraken-g10-aio-mod.18792093/ . I imagine this would be cooler and quieter than most other cards and save you some money?

Associate
Hello All,

I have had a Vega 56 for about 4/5 months now and i just don't like it, way to hot and load. i spend half my time playing with wattman and getting nowhere. i end up playing all games with Chill on.

Before the Vega 56 i had a gigabyte 1060 and ran like a dream!

I play at 1440p, i do have an element gaming monitor with freesync. all types of games, WoW, Dota/league, DMC5 JD2 etc.

I am looking for the quietest and coolest GPU available ideally nothing more than £500.00 something like:

Palit jetstream S 2070 - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pali...ddr6-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-04y-pl.html

MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...92mb-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-35k-ms.html

Thanks

Have you tried undervolting? Not in the East Mids by any chance? I wouldn't mind picking up a second hand Vega 56 if you want to sell.

The 5700 XT would give a performance boost and is low power draw aswell as giving great FPS per £

Back
Top Bottom