• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

If next year's consoles do 4k/60..

Associate
I mean it'll probably be a 5700 with Ray Tracing. The thing is developers will turn off all details that don't add much to image quality in order to get the frame rate up. I'm sure there will be 'Next Gen' games with far more detailed textures than 'Current Gen' that kill consoles FPS. Ray tracing will be done on lower detail and more efficiently so it doesn't kill FPS.

The thing PC enthusisasts usually forget is turning a few settings down to medium can increase FPS while being hardly noticable to the image quality. Instead of tinkering they'd rather upgrade because it feels better to know you can max out the game settings at high FPS.

Associate
ALREET GEYS by the time the PS5 hits, the next gen of 5700, 5800, 5800XT, 5900, 5900XT with RTX will all have been released. The 5900XT should beat 2080ti and the 5800XT should be around 2080 Super levels with a 5900 between both and the standard 5800 hitting 2080 performance levels.

So would you rather get a standard 5700 in a console for £400 or a 5700 now priced at £250 or a 5800 now priced at £450? Choose. If you didn't have any PC Hardware a Ryzen 3600 + Navi 5700 would be a compelling deal for £400

Must extrapolate these thoughts over a 40 minute video this evening.

Associate
How much do you think a console capable of 4k60 will cost? Will it support variable refresh? Can you opt to use it's graphical power for high frame rates at 1440 instead of 4k? Can you opt for ultra wide instead? Can you pick games up for under £10? Can you play all your favourite games from any generation on it?

A console is a one trick pony, and the next generation will not be capable of 4k60 at Ultra settings/textures.

Exactly my thoughts, when i see people on here crying about hardware prices and vowing to become a console gamer. . . Bye Bye! PC gaming is superior in practically every way. Trying to download and update games on a console is enough for me to not go back, certainly for the foreseeable future.

Caporegime
Exactly my thoughts, when i see people on here crying about hardware prices and vowing to become a console gamer. . . Bye Bye! PC gaming is superior in practically every way. Trying to download and update games on a console is enough for me to not go back, certainly for the foreseeable future.

Then you probably didn't read my reply:

Well the Xbox One X already supports Variable Refresh Rate, and it's built in to the HDMI 2.1 spec so yes, they will support variable refresh.

My C9 Oled supports VRR as well.

It's likely that the PS5/Next Xbox will also support 1440p @ 120hz or 4k/60hz

And you are very blinkered if you think that next gen consoles won't run at 4k 60hz. A closed system is going to be much quicker than 'like for like' hardware on a PC which isn't just focused on gaming speed.

To actually reply directly to the points raised by @String

Q: How much do you think a console capable of 4k60 will cost?
A: No more than £499.99 - Far cheaper than an equivalent PC

Q: Will it support variable refresh?
A: Yes, the next gen consoles will both have VRR, which is part of the HDMI 2.1 spec.
Xbox One X already supports VRR

Q: Can you opt to use it's graphical power for high frame rates at 1440 instead of 4k?
A: This will be very likely, as you can run the Xbox One at 1440p 120hz

Q: Can you opt for ultra wide instead?
A: Hard to find any information about this, but i'd say it's a possibility on some games on the next gen consoles

Q: Can you pick games up for under £10?
A: Yes.

Q: Can you play all your favourite games from any generation on it?
A: Likely not all, but most (Xbox has lots of backwards compatible titles)

Associate
Q: How much do you think a console capable of 4k60 will cost?
A: No more than £499.99 - Far cheaper than an equivalent PC

Is it? It will be an underclocked Navi 5700 with a Ryzen 3600. You can buy those components now for around £500 or less on PS5 Launch. You can pick up a Zen 2600 & Vega 56 for around £360 right now, which when overclocked will perform on par with a PS5.

Caporegime
Give over.

Where can you buy a Ryzen 3600 CPU, Motherboard, Navi 5700GPU, 16GB Ram, Case, 2TB SSD Hard Drive (consoles confirmed to have these) and 4K UHD drive for £500?

Soldato
Is it? It will be an underclocked Navi 5700 with a Ryzen 3600. You can buy those components now for around £500 or less on PS5 Launch. You can pick up a Zen 2600 & Vega 56 for around £360 right now, which when overclocked will perform on par with a PS5.

You must work for Sony or Microsoft as you talk facts when not much is known about next gen. From what I have read they are using ssd's, zen 2 and an and gpu with no spec confirmed. They did say targeting 4k 60fps so it will be something pretty potent. 4 x the current console power was mentioned at some point as well.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
This time it really is different. PC GPU's have stagnated, and the next consoles are set to get a radeon 7/1080ti + 20% GPU which really is much faster than the majority of PC's. Couple that with a 8 core 7nm Ryzen, and console optimization, only true hardcore nerds will continue to use PC's.

1080ti +20% is nearly knocking on 2080ti performance. If you are expecting that out of an APU next year then prepare to be very dissapointed.

Caporegime
Tell you what is great value at the moment if you own an Xbox and PC - The Xbox ultimate game pass workaround (console and PC) - officially endorsed by Microsoft

I had an Xbox Gold subscription until June 2020. I just paid £73.98 to CD keys for 2x 12 month Xbox Live Gold passes (£36.99 each), redeemed them both, taking my subscription to June 2022 and upgraded all that to the Ultimate game pass for £1

£75 for 3 years access on console and PC to all these: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/x...cfq7ttc0khs0?activetab=pivot:gamesanddealstab and all future first party MS releases.

Associate
Right now I’m getting a 5700xt and overclocking it.

This is a far fetched question... would you say I would be able to run next gen games on 1080p ultra smoothly with a 5700xt?

Permabanned
They wont be 4k and max settings though. Resolution may say 4k on the tin but thats not with everything maxed. Then you have the fact these consoles are not out for a year and a half and I am running 4k/max settings now with my 2080ti.

Associate
i would think the 5700xt will be a very capable card for some time. especially at 1080p. Its marketed at a 1440p card and i would expect it to be able to do that happily for the next 2-3 years.

Associate
Give over.

Where can you buy a Ryzen 3600 CPU, Motherboard, Navi 5700GPU, 16GB Ram, Case, 2TB SSD Hard Drive (consoles confirmed to have these) and 4K UHD drive for £500?
By the time the console is actually released (over a year from now) that'll be easily possible. We'll probably have a low end gpu on par with the consoles shortly after they release, just like the 750ti was on par or better than the ps4

Back
Top Bottom