Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Associate
Got my official Pi 4 case in the post today, whilst I wait for the Flirc case to become available!

IMG-20190716-121956.jpg

Soldato
Watch the temperatures soar when you fire it up in that completely unventilated case :D

You’d hope that they had tested it in the official case, given the bios fix to lower temps, if anything it should be cooler now. Alternatively, buy marshmallows :D

Associate
Watch the temperatures soar when you fire it up in that completely unventilated case :D

Don't worry, the lid will be coming off :D To be honest, it was more to protect the Pi than anything else as I knew it would only be a matter of time before it got damaged otherwise! For £5, at least it's safe in the plastic home.

Will be running that firmware update for the temps though :D

maj

maj

Soldato
For those that really want to cool their Pi 4, take a look at the ICE Tower cooler. Good luck finding a case that works with it fitted though :p

Soldato
Post if it fit well and such, the Pi 3 version seems to work really well according to youtube videos.

I can confirm the Pi3 version works very well as I have one, the fans are silent and it rarely gets above 40 when running more intensive tasks even in current warmer weather, allegedly they can be a little hit and miss for fit particularly on the bottom face (factions of a mill for a tight fit against the chip) so I imagine that's down to QC at the factory end.

Commissario
I was a little concerned that when I finally get the Pi4 mounted outside that there's a possibility that fan shim could creep it's way off the board. Admittedly, it's not very likely but as it's only held there by friction, I had two options. Solder a couple of the pins or add a mechanical fixing. I chose the latter as it's easily removable.

nhNJ7lQ.jpeg

It's not going anywhere now :)

Associate
I was a little concerned that when I finally get the Pi4 mounted outside that there's a possibility that fan shim could creep it's way off the board. Admittedly, it's not very likely but as it's only held there by friction, I had two options. Solder a couple of the pins or add a mechanical fixing. I chose the latter as it's easily removable.

nhNJ7lQ.jpeg

It's not going anywhere now :)

Good job! :)

Commissario
My loft Pi3B has been getting a bit toasty. It's in the official Pi case and has no cooling whatsoever:
nn1DSTl.png

So has the 3B+ I have mounted at the top of a 33ft mast in my garden. This one has an Airspy mini attached to it so it's always sitting at about 20% CPU load. It does have a fan though, the one linked in this post.

cw0WXWf.png

Neither of them have throttled though so that's good.

Soldato
Anyone considered a sandisk high endurance micro sd card for their Pi? My storage was corrupted tonight and I think my current card which is quite old is on the way out so I'd like to replace it with something more resilient.

Back
Top Bottom